New gaming computer

Author Topic: New gaming computer  (Read 2546 times)

recockulous

• US American
  • -Nutter-
    • toddinphx
New gaming computer
« on: July 24, 2005, 02:31:58 am »
OK, my computers are all tired and old, and I've finally conned my wife into giving me $$ to buy a new one.  I'm thinking I probably want to build a good PC tower so I can do some FPS (played Battlefield 1942 a few months back - freaking great).  I've got the cable connection, but other than that, I'm starting from scratch.

Should I go to Frys and buy the parts?  Or are there any good places to buy?  Any suggestions as to equipment?

I'm kinda stupid in this area - I haven't bought a new PC since '97 (yeah, I said old) and my last console purchase was a freaking PSOne, before the PSTwo was released.

Help me clones.
Arizona St. Sun DevilsArizona DiamondbacksNew England Patriots

Jeff in San Diego

Re: New gaming computer
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2005, 10:16:55 am »
well your out in the desert, cant you find some good ol relics out there with Jeff to build your computer

Fryes is good, along with Comp USA, I basically am building my own computer as well, and pretty much bargain shop between the two

DJGex

• The other anime geek...
  • -Member-
  • Hundred Handslap in your mothafukkin grillpiece.
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2005, 05:50:26 pm »
Really it depends on what you're looking for, if you're looking for a custom system, go with Dell.  I got my rig about 3 years ago with the top of the line shit, and it's really easy to upgrade down the road if you need to.

Edge

• If you're not a Manc, you're a
  • -Member-
  • Whats Crackin?
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2005, 08:10:18 pm »
you can buy parts at http://www.Newegg.com if you wanna go from the ground up.  best buy is money is you wanna buy a computer.  Emachine is a great value if you get the right one.  I would suggest going to computershopper.com and research.  Dual core, hyperthreading and 64 bit processors are emerging.  Also, hard drives are going from IDE to SATA connection.  If you wanna go all out, computer shopper has a sweet article on building a Windows Media Center PC.  Dells are money but research what you are getting because the low end ones will run slow and have less expandability.  As for processors I would always go with AMD over Intel for the money and technology.  On Intel chips, I would roll with a Pentium D, Pentium 4 and as a last resort get a Celeron(they suck).
Hope this helps.....newegg and computershopper.com are great resources :koolaid