How devoid of meaning does your life have to be. . .

Author Topic: How devoid of meaning does your life have to be. . .  (Read 484 times)

johninpwest

• Inglorious Bastard
  • -Nutter-
  • Run me, and I will be more powerful than you think
How devoid of meaning does your life have to be. . .
« on: April 17, 2008, 06:51:43 pm »
For you to stand in front of an International Standards Organization meeting holding signs protesting a friggin file format?  I'm not going to the "there are things more important" card, but you're standing around with signs protesting something that I could guess fewer than one percent of the world's population could completely understand.  What, they didn't have dates?  I think I just answered my question.  I'm not even a fan of Microsoft but these guys need a hobby.
Colorado St. RamsColorado RockiesDenver NuggetsDenver BroncosColorado Avalanche
"...Granting an exemption from social security taxes to an employer operates to impose the employer's religious faith on the employees" US vs Lee (1982)

Saxon in Nashville

• Looney Left: that's all for the US, folks!
  • -Member-
  • War AP
Re: How devoid of meaning does your life have to be. . .
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 09:07:06 pm »
I agree that if you're out protesting MS's OOXML office format with signs, you're probably a looser, but they have a point.

The International Standards Council decides who which file formats qualify as Open, and therefore will be bundled into Open-type programs.  MS wants their format to be included, so they don't get left behind in the Office file format revolution.

However, the only way they could get their scam XML file format voted as "open" was pretty much by bribery.  The OpenFormat, which truly is open, not hiding behind patents and copyrights, and fully falling under the GPL.

MS Office products doesn't even support the ODF, while Open Office Suites all support the old .doc formats, and most have plugins which support OOXML (like .docx).  It's a scam, and a shame that MS's BS fake-open format as accepted.