"Control"

Author Topic: "Control"  (Read 669 times)

SteveinToronto

• -Nutter-
  • Just some moron in the hat
"Control"
« on: July 11, 2008, 10:10:11 am »
I recently was given a copy of Control, a biopic of Joy Division's Ian Curtis, who, if you don't know, topped himself just prior to the band leaving on their first tour of the US and, most likely, much greater success then they'd enjoyed until then. The remaining members went on to form New Order, a much inferior outfit to my mind. Anyway here's the website for the flick.

http://momentum.control.substance001.com/

It is a terrificly spare, typically english movie, not a lot of frills, or bells and whistles, just an interesting story told in a very subtle way. There isn't even a lot of music in it, more snippets then anything, but what there is, is pretty riveting. One drawback of that is, if you don't know the broader story, the movie won't help you fill in some of the details hinted at. My wife kept saying "what was that about, who is that, what happened.."

As well, it's in georgous black and white, Anton Corbijn's favourite pallette.

Hed, I bet, will love it, everyone else, ehhhh, maybe.

Texas A&M AggiesNew York YankeesPittsburgh SteelersToronto Maple Leafs
2008, 2009 College TD Challenge Champion, 2009 NFL Survival Pool Co-champion, 2013 Pucknuts Champion

Club America

• Rack the Trolls
  • Things get damaged, things get broken.
Re: "Control"
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 02:25:55 pm »
Freakin AWESOME O0
Arkansas RazorbacksLos Angeles DodgersDenver BroncosColorado Avalanche
Like Fr. Ciszek, I understood that I was dealing with highly skilled sociopaths, men unencumbered by consciences.

Hedstrom

• -Nutter-
  • Born and Raised in South Detroit
    • hedstrombacon
    • @hedstrombacon
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 03:47:25 pm »
debinitly gonna see it  referee2
Miami DolphinsCalgary Flames

Hedstrom

• -Nutter-
  • Born and Raised in South Detroit
    • hedstrombacon
    • @hedstrombacon
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 09:37:57 am »
Great movie for anyone interested in the British post-punk music scene.  I've said it many times before....I wonder how the band would have been received in the U.S.?  Would they have flopped and Curtis' depression drive him to take his own life anyways? Or would success in the U.S. and a change of scenery been the magical cure for him.  Not likely, but we'll never know otherwise.

FTR, the dude that played manager Rob Gretton was hilarious with his F-this and F-that in every conversation.   Black and white films almost always turn me off, but Corbijn was spot on to film it as such.  F*cking brilliant.
Miami DolphinsCalgary Flames