Happy 200th President Lincoln

Author Topic: Happy 200th President Lincoln  (Read 6001 times)

Moodell

• International Brotherhood of Geniuses Local 163
  • -Nutter-
  • "Life is too serious to be taken seriously."
Happy 200th President Lincoln
« on: February 12, 2009, 06:41:15 pm »
Sad that there are no great leaders in America anymore. We sure could use one now. Some gems from honest Abe....

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

"Property is the fruit of labor...property is desirable...is a positive good in the world. That some should be rich shows that others may become rich, and hence is just encouragement to industry and enterprise. Let not him who is houseless pull down the house of another; but let him labor diligently and build one for himself, thus by example assuring that his own shall be safe from violence when built."

"The will of God prevails. In great contests each party claims to act in accordance with the will of God. Both may be, and one must be, wrong. God cannot be for and against the same thing at the same time. In the present civil war it is quite possible that God's purpose is something different from the purpose of either party - and yet the human instrumentalities, working just as they do, are of the best adaptation to effect His purpose."

"What is conservatism? Is it not adherence to the old and tried, against the new and untried?"

"We all declare for liberty; but in using the same word we do not all mean the same thing. With some the word liberty may mean for each man to do as he pleases with himself, and the product of his labor; while with others, the same word may mean for some men to do as they please with other men, and the product of other men's labor. Here are two, not only different, but incompatible things, called by the same name - liberty. And it follows that each of the things is, by the respective parties, called by two different and incompatible names - liberty and tyranny."

"Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."

Indiana HoosiersCleveland IndiansIndiana PacersIndianapolis ColtsColumbus Blue Jackets
Progressives gnaw away at the pillars of our society as if they were  termites chewing on wood.

Sev in Ottawa

• Sexecutioner
  • -Member-
  • Don Postwhoreleones caporegime
Re: Happy 200th President Lincoln
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 07:12:07 pm »
Talk about an over-rated President.  He didn't have to bother freeing the slaves, economically it would have failed soon anyway, just ask Saxon.  He got all those Americans killed in a civil war for nothing.

Saxon in Nashville

• Looney Left: that's all for the US, folks!
  • -Member-
  • War AP
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 07:31:47 pm »
Up yours Sev.

Just because the South started the war (which is an undeniable fact), doesn't mean Lincoln had no right to fight to free the union.  Two legal theories pushed against each other: one stated that any state could leave the Union; the other is that the Union was indivisible.  Lincoln's reasons for fighting the war were pure, and no one else could have done a better job as President in prosecuting the war.

You don't see me badmouthing John MacDonald.  You leave our American heroes alone.

Navigator in Toronto

• -Member-
  • The Beloved's biggest fan and lover...
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 07:53:05 pm »
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090212/ap_on_re_us/lincoln_s_birthday_penny

New Lincoln pennies to mark the 200th year...

How about the $5 Bill, US Treasury?
 The lady in the red and white nighty holding the white teddybear, that's The Beloved.  Yeah RT, she replaced you...

Moodell

• International Brotherhood of Geniuses Local 163
  • -Nutter-
  • "Life is too serious to be taken seriously."
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 07:59:23 pm »
Talk about an over-rated President.  He didn't have to bother freeing the slaves, economically it would have failed soon anyway, just ask Saxon.  He got all those Americans killed in a civil war for nothing.

:uhh

Why do you hate black people?
Indiana HoosiersCleveland IndiansIndiana PacersIndianapolis ColtsColumbus Blue Jackets
Progressives gnaw away at the pillars of our society as if they were  termites chewing on wood.

Sev in Ottawa

• Sexecutioner
  • -Member-
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 11:15:06 pm »

:uhh

Why do you hate black people?

It's a reset from a few years ago, take too long to explain and Saxon has probably repressed it as deep as he can.

Saxon in Nashville

• -Member-
  • War AP
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 11:35:04 pm »
Uh, no.  I still believe every word I said about it.  The civil war was unnecessary, and slavery was twenty-five years from being absolutely a drain on the southern economy.  They didn't realize it, because it was the basis for their economy for fifty years.  It's a shame that it came to war, but both sides both fought as hard as they could.  Lincoln came out of it a hero, because he did everything he could to win the battle and the hearts of his unhappy southern countrymen.

Sev in Ottawa

• Sexecutioner
  • -Member-
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 11:39:51 pm »
Rack predicting the future of past events that never happened.

Saxon in Nashville

• -Member-
  • War AP
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 02:12:58 am »
Waahhhh!!!  Saxon studies American history!!!

You can take your smarmy comments; your know it all attitude, and your general hatred for Sr., and wear your dress, while you swill more Whisky!

I swear, it's like talking to the wall.  I stand by all remarks I've made, but you think that I write 'em and forget 'em.  Maybe that's the way they do it in the place where the police wear clown suits and ride horses, but down here in the US, we fought for our freedom.  We fought for national identity, and we burn middle eastern countries to the ground if they insult Bush 41 ( :uhh).

So, Canuckistani, where they don't have history, outside of Independence in 1982. maybe you don't need a history book longer than a single sheet of paper, but my forefathers died for this side of the border, and some of my relatives fought to leave the US, but they still called themselves Americans while they fought against the Union.  But one thing is for darn sure, and that is I am not going to let some dress-wearing, liquor-swilling mutt who doesn't show any appreciation for his own country try to tell me about mine.

It seems a shame when you can remember your entire country's history.

Sev in Ottawa

• Sexecutioner
  • -Member-
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 09:37:43 am »
That's it Saxon, keep trying your same old boring tactic of insulting me and my country, see how far that gets you.  Do me a favor, give me some actual information that backs up your claim that slavery would have burned itself out instead of the old "I studied it and I know it's the truth" position.

DJMark

• Not your Grampa's DJ
  • -Member-
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2009, 09:45:56 am »
You'd be better off asking for a magical staff that makes cows fart lollipops than asking for that favor to be granted
Steve in GR      I'll take those multiple DUIs and multiple mothers before I sold car insurance any day of the week.

Saxon in Nashville

• -Member-
  • War AP
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2009, 12:35:12 pm »
That's it Saxon, keep trying your same old boring tactic of insulting me and my country, see how far that gets you.  Do me a favor, give me some actual information that backs up your claim that slavery would have burned itself out instead of the old "I studied it and I know it's the truth" position.

It doesn't matter ifI did.  You'll come back with, "they're racist, just like you are."  Trying to convince the unconvinceable is a tactic I gave up a long time ago.

Sev in Ottawa

• Sexecutioner
  • -Member-
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2009, 01:57:18 pm »

It doesn't matter ifI did.  You'll come back with, "they're racist, just like you are."  Trying to convince the unconvinceable is a tactic I gave up a long time ago.

Talk about taking the easy way out, although I'm not really shocked.

emstrem

• Keep people working - I'm an American, therefore I take the time to buy products MADE IN THE USA!!
  • -Member-
  • GO BLUE!!
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2009, 09:39:07 pm »
How long did Lincoln get to enjoy peace during his presidency? I know it wasn't long, and I don't feel like looking it up, I think he was shot like four days after Lee's surrender at Appomattox, and I'm not sure how long after he was inaugurated that they fired on Fort Sumpter...but talk about not being able to enact any of the policies you wanted, sonofabitch!!
Just My Opinion on a Bad Vicodin Buzz!!