Rome on vacation all Summer (basically)

Author Topic: Rome on vacation all Summer (basically)  (Read 1362 times)

Zickefoose

• -Member-
Rome on vacation all Summer (basically)
« on: July 20, 2012, 06:21:54 pm »
I'm not super old school but I don't remember Rome ever allowing Travis to guest host any of his shows on his days off? Obviously the "best of" shows are not factored into my question. 

It just seems odd that even when they were on good terms with each other, Rome refused to give T-Rodge a chance. And Travis is now killing it on Yahoo Sports Radio. Maybe I'm wrong and Rome did in fact give Travis a couple of live "non-best of" shows.

The "Big Lyle" fascination is un-freakin-believable though! His guest-host spots are alright, but if Rome retired from radio tomorrow and his protégé KB took over The Jungle, I would never listen again. 

MikeinToledo

• -Jungle Twitter Posse-
Re: Rome on vacation all Summer (basically)
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 06:32:40 pm »
Probably just took this long for Rome/Premiere to realize that most of the guest hosts besides Jayjay and the Sklars are fvcking terrible.

Personally, I wonder if Rome is intentionally trolling his audience with the "BIG LYLE!!!!!111" stuff.
Los Angeles DodgersGreen Bay PackersChicago Blackhawks

DrewInDTLA

• -Member-
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 07:19:06 pm »
Personally, I wonder if Rome is intentionally trolling his audience with the "BIG LYLE!!!!!111" stuff.

Good point. Rome cannot possibly be that tone-deaf (is that the right term?)
Im sure he is aware of what people are saying on his facebook page/von slap/stucknut/etc.

Jeff in MD

• the M.D. is in the house
  • -Nutter-
  • 2012 Stucknut NFL Pool Champion
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 09:24:07 pm »
I'm not super old school but I don't remember Rome ever allowing Travis to guest host any of his shows on his days off? Obviously the "best of" shows are not factored into my question. 

It just seems odd that even when they were on good terms with each other, Rome refused to give T-Rodge a chance. And Travis is now killing it on Yahoo Sports Radio. Maybe I'm wrong and Rome did in fact give Travis a couple of live "non-best of" shows.

The "Big Lyle" fascination is un-freakin-believable though! His guest-host spots are alright, but if Rome retired from radio tomorrow and his protégé KB took over The Jungle, I would never listen again.

I agree totally about TRodge, Rome should have given him a shot to host back in the day. I have a feeling there are two main reasons that Lyle gets to host and TRodge didn't.

KB is alot more involved in the show on a daily basis (with social media and whatnot and basically being Rome's co-host) than TRodge was, so KB hosting probably seems more natural to Rome than if TRodge hosted back in the day.

I think it's also because back in the TRodge days, there were seemingly a million different hosts available who could fill in and host. Now, other than Slam Man and the Sklars there's pretty much no one who's even a semi-big name who's available to fill in, so Lyle gets to host.
Maryland TerrapinsWashington NationalsWashington WizardsWashington RedskinsWashington Capitals

Front Porch

• Rat bastard
  • -Security-
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 09:28:41 pm »
I didn't ever feel like Travis wanted to guest host. 

Also I thought Travis actually took a lot of the same time off as Jim.  He always seemed to be gone at the same time like the time off had been coordinated.

also I think Travis was very involved in the show.

Steve in HTown

• -Admin-
    • stucknut
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 10:33:48 pm »
Texas LonghornsLos Angeles DodgersLos Angeles LakersCleveland Browns

Jeff in MD

• the M.D. is in the house
  • -Nutter-
  • 2012 Stucknut NFL Pool Champion
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 10:43:04 pm »
This explains a lot:
http://takebox.stucknut.com/?id=168e
I'll bet him and Lyle lather each other up. :bananbang
Maryland TerrapinsWashington NationalsWashington WizardsWashington RedskinsWashington Capitals

magic_uno

• -Member-
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2012, 12:05:47 am »
This explains a lot:
http://takebox.stucknut.com/?id=168e

:lol

I think I planted that one when I was running the takebox a couple of years ago.
Illinois Fighting IlliniChicago White SoxChicago BullsChicago BearsChicago Blackhawks

Hedstrom

• -Nutter-
  • Born and Raised in South Detroit
    • hedstrombacon
    • @hedstrombacon
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2012, 03:37:25 am »
I didn't ever feel like Travis wanted to guest host. 

Also I thought Travis actually took a lot of the same time off as Jim.  He always seemed to be gone at the same time like the time off had been coordinated.

also I think Travis was very involved in the show.

I agree.  It's almost as if Travis took the job in H-town just to spite Rome for how things went down, but in reality, Travis was the topic feeder and Rome had the delivery in the old days. That was the formula, but something changed. Whatever fallout lead to Travis leaving, KB was there step right in to ballwash Rome...something I'm convinced Travis was not willing to do.
Miami DolphinsCalgary Flames

toptenguy

• -Member-
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2012, 06:34:13 am »
Good point. Rome cannot possibly be that tone-deaf (is that the right term?)
Im sure he is aware of what people are saying on his facebook page/von slap/stucknut/etc.

I'm still sure that he's 100% in the dark about it, and thinks of it as a cool shout out to his "boy". He just has no idea... Even Marty would find it awkward and creepy.

Thoreau

• Who
  • Who Mad
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2012, 09:13:36 am »
Awesome thread.  :fart
Cincinnati BearcatsCincinnati RedsLos Angeles LakersCincinnati Bengals
Hoo

the judo madonna

• -Member-
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2012, 09:59:53 am »
i know next to nothing of Travis, before my time.

i think KB is great as a guest host. i wish he had his own show - i would listen to him over Rome.

from all the ball-washing that goes down here in regards to Travis though, wouldn't it be hilarious if he poached KB and they did a show together, on opposite Rome?

Could you imagine the Rome show the day after that went down?

he'd be so butthurt. it'd be "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" drops for 3 hours and Flamian would kill himself
Ohio St. BuckeyesCleveland IndiansCleveland CavaliersCleveland BrownsColumbus Blue Jackets