Author Topic: Lastros talent pool  (Read 1136 times)

Steve in GR

• No Fly Zone
  • -Nutter-
  • Go Green!
Lastros talent pool
« on: July 01, 2014, 02:53:04 pm »
It seems this will be the last year anyone will be able to use the nickname "Lastros".

Where has all this talent been over the last year or two? Have they just been stashing away these players in single and double A?

Altuve made his name putting up a .300avg n 40 swipes the last two years. This year he cleared those numbers with a .350 average halfway through the season. Not only is there MVP scuttlebutt, I assume no one has ever heard of a "quad crown" until now. Most likely will never happen, but just the fact you can set a pace to even start a Quad Crown conversation is pwn.

Fowler, Dominguez and Castro look like they will hold down the positions as CF, C and 3B for years to come.

The pitching is still suspect. For the most part too young to tell how good of a staff they have.

Dallas Keuchel has turned into one of the best left handed pitchers in the majors.

This Collin McHugh looked like a waste of roster space given his days as a Met. He's actually been unhitable at times this season and may actually be someone to hold down a spot in the rotation in the coming years.

The other's are still young kids, and still too early to tell if Cosart, Peacock and Olberh__???__ will amount to anything.

Now over the last month or two this organization started to show off future all-star's they have had stashed in the minors.

Springer, Singleton and now this Domingo Santiago

Springer has been on the map for sometime and was only a matter of time when he got his shot. Although I'm sure most wouldn't have seen a rookie year similar to Mike Trout's coming. If not for the rookie in Chicago Abreu (who could very well win MVP), Springer (as well as Tanaka) is the clear ROTY  any other year.

Singleton was something like one of three or four guys to ever hit a HR in his first AB in the majors. Big guy for a 21yr old, and the most talented rookie first baseman I can recall since Freeman and Smoak were called up the same time  four or five years ago.

Tonight I believe they will start Santiago in LF.

I'm wondering if they have any pitchers on the farm that are as gude as the bats they keep calling up  ???
Michigan St. SpartansDetroit TigersOklahoma City ThunderDetroit Lions
I'm still going to say Mich over Nebraska and Wisky over MSU. Wisky wins the final.

Steve in HTown

• -Admin-
    • stucknut
Re: Lastros talent pool
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 03:01:06 pm »
I'm wondering if they have any pitchers on the farm that are as gude as the bats they keep calling up  ???

Not any pitchers ready to make the jump.
Mark Appel has been a huge disappointment.

Lance McCullers Jr.and Mike Foltynewicz are showing promise.
They just drafted another pitcher 1st overall, Brady Aiken.

As for future position player call ups, I'd like to see Delino Deshields Jr
and Carlos Correa get some at-bats in September.

I'm looking forward to next years squad.
Texas LonghornsHouston AstrosHouston RocketsCleveland Browns

Justin NoCal

• Dickpuss Penegor, PhD.
  • Mod
  • leave the gun, take the cannolis
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 04:01:20 pm »
I hope David in HTown comes in here soon to tell us the Astros are a year or two away...

Then he can be right for at least once in the last 6 years he has said that :koolaid
California Golden BearsSan Francisco GiantsSacramento KingsWashington Redskins
Elevate, excavate, eliminate.

Jeff in MD

• the M.D. is in the house
  • -Nutter-
  • 2012 Stucknut NFL Pool Champion
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 10:34:20 pm »
Jose Altuve is the best 5-5 player in baseball.
Maryland TerrapinsWashington NationalsWashington WizardsWashington RedskinsWashington Capitals

Spaz

• Pimp
  • -Member-
  • Fresh KING of Bel-Air
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 11:01:32 am »
lol astros ran away from nl cuz their scared of dodgers
UCLA BruinsLos Angeles DodgersGolden State WarriorsNew England PatriotsSan Jose Sharks
Don't fuk with me or I'll kick ur ass boi

Steve in GR

• No Fly Zone
  • -Nutter-
  • Go Green!
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 02:07:33 am »
lol astros ran away from nl cuz their scared of dodgers

I get the feeling it had more to do with them knowing they have so much talent stockpiled, they wanted an actual challenge when they finally unleash it along with hell on the rest of the MLB.

The Dodgers apparently aren't able to fulfill their challenge needs, since they have yet to even see first place by themselves in their own shitty division ninety games into the season.  :lol

Update: Just noticed the Dodgers finally took a half game lead over the Gigantes yesterday

:lol @ needing Giants to implode so you can justify your teams payroll.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 02:11:19 am by Steve in GR »
Michigan St. SpartansDetroit TigersOklahoma City ThunderDetroit Lions
I'm still going to say Mich over Nebraska and Wisky over MSU. Wisky wins the final.

David in H-Town

• + its me
  • -Nutter-
  • Effort
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 07:15:58 am »
I hope David in HTown comes in here soon to tell us the Astros are a year or two away...

Then he can be right for at least once in the last 6 years he has said that :koolaid

Quote?

Another great prediction from you know who...
12-4 record should = Division champs

David in H-Town

• + its me
  • -Nutter-
  • Effort
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 07:32:03 am »
The Astros farm system is loaded with a shitload of pitching. 

Nick Tropeano
Thomas Shirley
Asher Wojciechowski
Mike Foltynewicz
Josh Hader
Lance McCullers
Aaron West
Michael Feliz
Vincent Velasquez...just to name a few. 

Mark Appel is off to a very slow start.  His peripherals look good as his BB and K rates are great, but the BABIP against him is stupid high.  Lancaster is 2000+ feet in elevation and the winds blow out in the teens most of the summer.  It's a hitter's dream and a pitcher's nightmare.  Almost every pitcher in the Astros farm system has struggled in Lancaster. 

Correa is the golden boy, but he's out for the remainder of the season with a fractured fibula.  He's going to be special when he's starting in 2016.

Rio Ruiz is our future starting 3b...he just turned 20, but has the plate discipline of a 25 year old AAAA type player. 

The outfield is lacking some depth in the farm system.  Preston Tucker has promise, but I'm still a little skeptical of his abilities in the ML.  Domingo Santana is only 21 and is playing very well in AAA.  He just got a sniff in the majors but is nowhere near ready.  He needs more time down in the minors...perhaps 'til midseason next year. 

I can go on and on about all that damn talent in the farm system, but none of it means anything until they prove themselves at the parent club level. 

Springer, Singleton, Keuchel, and Altuve are exciting.  The good news about having all these prospects and the lowest payroll in baseball is that they have money available and a deep enough talent pool to make trades next season for established MLers. 

Not everyone is going to come from the farm to fill out the ML roster.  There just isn't enough room.  Pitching prospects are going to get traded.

The future looks bright.

stanleycupsabres

• Buffalo, New York is the real Hockeytown, U.S.A.
  • -Member-
  • -Nutter- -Admin- -Mod- -Security-
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 08:47:56 am »
The Houston Astros are following the Tampa Bay Rays/Florida (err) Miami Marlins model. Be terrible for 10 years and then become a contender. Weren't the Astros just in the World Series agains the Chicago White Sox? That Jerry Springer is one hell of a baseball player.
Southern California TrojansNew York YankeesCleveland CavaliersOakland RaidersPhiladelphia Flyers
"At my firm, we may be whores, but we ain't pimps." - Ari Gold

Steve in HTown

• -Admin-
    • stucknut
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 10:30:41 am »
The Houston Astros are following the Tampa Bay Rays/Florida (err) Miami Marlins model. Be terrible for 10 years and then become a contender. Weren't the Astros just in the World Series agains the Chicago White Sox? That Jerry Springer is one hell of a baseball player.

in 2005  :-\

Snakeeyes

• Fair & Balanced.
  • -Nutter-
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2014, 10:38:11 am »
It would be nice if some of Astro-fan could rub off on Rockie-fan.  Our ownership is the worst in baseball, and yet we still keep drawing a million fans every year to that fvcking park.  Why should they change when fans keep up the support??  I remember seeing a news story from earlier this year that Houston had a game with a 0.0 TV rating in their own market.  Now THAT is a giant fvck YOU to somebody.
Colorado St. RamsColorado RockiesDenver NuggetsBuffalo BillsBuffalo Sabres
"I took all the same classes as you at a much bigger D1 school."  :lol

Steve in HTown

• -Admin-
    • stucknut
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2014, 10:45:27 am »
I remember seeing a news story from earlier this year that Houston had a game with a 0.0 TV rating in their own market.  Now THAT is a giant fvck YOU to somebody.

well, thats because:
 a. that was before they called up springer and singleton and they were playing really bad
 b. the astros are on a new comcast tv station that only 40% of houston has access to, if they want it
 c. that was a day game during the week

Jeff in Syracuse

• (I)
  • -Nutter-
  • I lift things up and put them down
    • jeff13164
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2014, 10:47:05 am »
No doubt the Astros are doing this thing right.  It'll be fascianating to watch this play out :koolaid
Syracuse OrangeNew York MetsPhoenix SunsNew York Giants

Jeff in MD

• the M.D. is in the house
  • -Nutter-
  • 2012 Stucknut NFL Pool Champion
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2014, 12:29:02 pm »
SI is already calling their shot..........

Maryland TerrapinsWashington NationalsWashington WizardsWashington RedskinsWashington Capitals

David in H-Town

• + its me
  • -Nutter-
  • Effort
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2014, 01:23:49 pm »
No doubt the Astros are doing this thing right.  It'll be fascianating to watch this play out :koolaid

Yes it will.  Either they will have sustained success starting next season for the next ten years or the experiment will blow up in their face.  The parent club hasn't given us much to cheer about, but the minors has been a pleasure to follow.