Author Topic: Speed up the damn game  (Read 12372 times)

Steve in HTown

• -Admin-
    • stucknut
Speed up the damn game
« on: August 21, 2014, 02:13:56 pm »
There has been some talk lately about speeding up the game times.

One change they are discussing is a pitch clock, which would be like a shot clock in basketball.
They want the batter to stay in the box and pitchers to stop wasting time between pitches.  :koolaid

Get it done!

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/21/a-pitch-clock-in-major-league-baseball-no-thanks/

Texas LonghornsHouston AstrosHouston RocketsCleveland Browns

Justin NoCal

• Dickpuss Penegor, PhD.
  • Mod
  • leave the gun, take the cannolis
Re: Speed up the damn game
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 02:14:59 pm »
Completely against it.

Here's a totally original idea............ Axe the instant replay.
California Golden BearsSan Francisco GiantsSacramento KingsWashington Redskins
Elevate, excavate, eliminate.

Rob in VB

• Masticater
  • -Nutter-
  • Zamboni Pilot
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 02:15:52 pm »
I'd be for it.  Who wants to see some guy fvcking with his gloves after every pitch.
Georgetown HoyasNew York MetsNew York KnicksDallas CowboysWashington Capitals

Justin NoCal

• Dickpuss Penegor, PhD.
  • Mod
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 02:17:23 pm »
I'd be okay with a little less ball scratching.

Steve in HTown

• -Admin-
    • stucknut
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 02:21:04 pm »
Completely against it.

yeah, that too.

there is an independent league that are putting these rules in place:
  • The defensive team will be limited to three "timeouts" per game, in which mound visits or on-field conferences take place with the current pitcher. Pitching changes will not be counted as timeouts, and in the case of extra innings, one additional timeout will be permitted at the start of the 10th inning and every three innings thereafter. Umpires will enforce a strict 45-second time limit on said timeouts. If the umpire's warning is disregarded by the defensive team and play continues to be delayed, the umpire shall declare a "ball" for the batter at the plate. This will limit the number of times play is interrupted by on-field conferences.
  • Pinch runners will be used for catchers as soon as the catchers reach base. This ensures that catchers are suited up quickly to start the next half-inning.
  • The number of warm-up pitches for each pitcher will be reduced from eight to six.
  • When a manager or catcher on the defensive team indicates to the home plate umpire they wish to issue an intentional base on balls, the batter is to be automatically awarded first base without the need for the pitcher to deliver four balls.
  • Umpires will be directed to enforce Rule 6.02 and Rule 8.04, related to hitters stepping out of the box and pitchers delivering the ball within 12 seconds when the bases are unoccupied.
  • Umpires will be directed to control the pace of play. The umpires shall adhere to the entire strike zone as defined in Rule 2.00 and observe that definition when calling pitches balls or strikes.

Snakeeyes

• Fair & Balanced.
  • -Nutter-
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 02:30:07 pm »
Completely against it.

This.
Colorado St. RamsColorado RockiesDenver NuggetsBuffalo BillsBuffalo Sabres
"I took all the same classes as you at a much bigger D1 school."  :lol

wireman

• -Nutter-
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 02:33:16 pm »

yeah, that too.

there is an independent league that are putting these rules in place:
  • The defensive team will be limited to three "timeouts" per game, in which mound visits or on-field conferences take place with the current pitcher. Pitching changes will not be counted as timeouts, and in the case of extra innings, one additional timeout will be permitted at the start of the 10th inning and every three innings thereafter. Umpires will enforce a strict 45-second time limit on said timeouts. If the umpire's warning is disregarded by the defensive team and play continues to be delayed, the umpire shall declare a "ball" for the batter at the plate. This will limit the number of times play is interrupted by on-field conferences. I would make it 60 seconds from the time the mgr or the catcher gets on the mound
  • Pinch runners will be used for catchers as soon as the catchers reach base. This ensures that catchers are suited up quickly to start the next half-inning.No on this. there aren't many or any instances that the catcher is holding up the game cause he was on base and has to get suited up
  • The number of warm-up pitches for each pitcher will be reduced from eight to six.stick w/8 but, I would give them a time limit of 2 min 40 sec (20 sec per pitch) once the clock hits 0 its time to play ball
  • When a manager or catcher on the defensive team indicates to the home plate umpire they wish to issue an intentional base on balls, the batter is to be automatically awarded first base without the need for the pitcher to deliver four balls. This would help; no need to pitch to they guy if you're going to walk him
  • Umpires will be directed to enforce Rule 6.02 and Rule 8.04, related to hitters stepping out of the box and pitchers delivering the ball within 12 seconds when the bases are unoccupied.even when occupied this should be in effect. nobody wants to see 10+ wrist band and crotch adjustments
  • Umpires will be directed to control the pace of play. The umpires shall adhere to the entire strike zone as defined in Rule 2.00 and observe that definition when calling pitches balls or strikes.
North Carolina Tar HeelsOakland AthleticsSacramento KingsOakland RaidersCarolina Hurricanes
I may be drunk Miss but, in the morning I'll be sober & you'll still be ugly. W. Churchill

Steve in HTown

• -Admin-
    • stucknut
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 02:37:21 pm »
When a manager or catcher on the defensive team indicates to the home plate umpire they wish to issue an intentional base on balls, the batter is to be automatically awarded first base without the need for the pitcher to deliver four balls.

This would help; no need to pitch to they guy if you're going to walk him

i wonder if they log the pitcher for 4 pitches, for statistical purposes

Justin NoCal

• Dickpuss Penegor, PhD.
  • Mod
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 02:54:13 pm »
  • The defensive team will be limited to three "timeouts" per game, in which mound visits or on-field conferences take place with the current pitcher. Pitching changes will not be counted as timeouts, and in the case of extra innings, one additional timeout will be permitted at the start of the 10th inning and every three innings thereafter. Umpires will enforce a strict 45-second time limit on said timeouts. If the umpire's warning is disregarded by the defensive team and play continues to be delayed, the umpire shall declare a "ball" for the batter at the plate. This will limit the number of times play is interrupted by on-field conferences.
  • Pinch runners will be used for catchers as soon as the catchers reach base. This ensures that catchers are suited up quickly to start the next half-inning.
  • The number of warm-up pitches for each pitcher will be reduced from eight to six.
  • When a manager or catcher on the defensive team indicates to the home plate umpire they wish to issue an intentional base on balls, the batter is to be automatically awarded first base without the need for the pitcher to deliver four balls.
  • Umpires will be directed to enforce Rule 6.02 and Rule 8.04, related to hitters stepping out of the box and pitchers delivering the ball within 12 seconds when the bases are unoccupied.

Umpires already begin walking to the mound to break up meetings. It's far faster than 45 seconds already. Declaring a "ball" for taking too long on the mound? JFC I don't even know where to begin that's so absurd.

How many times a game is a catcher left on base? Once? It took me literally 30 seconds to get gear on. Most catchers don't even take off their legs if they aren't due up. Chest protector on and a helmet, takes 10 seconds.

Reducing the number of warm up pitches will be a direct result of shortening commercial breaks. Not going to happen. You see the new red-zone advertisements this football season? Stupid.

I've seen some pretty crazy shit come from errand intentional walk pitches and it is awesome. I personally wouldn't care about not throwing the 4 pitches.

I'm all for keeping the batter in the box and the pitches coming when the bases are unoccupied. That alone will speed the game up a bit. Maybe only allow a batter out of the box if it's obvious he's taking a sign from the 3rd/1st base coach.

Or we can just keep changing the game of baseball. Afterall it's what brought us the homerun derby and shorter benches um I mean the DH

Or here's a really good idea, saw it in a movie once...........

Russ from Sactown

• -I Post Here With Other-
  • -Tards-
  • Rack the Trolls™
    • yeahright
    • suckme
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 02:55:46 pm »
Want to speed up the game?  Remove the DH.
Idaho VandalsMiami MarlinsToronto RaptorsSan Diego ChargersVancouver Canucks

Jeff in MD

• the M.D. is in the house
  • -Nutter-
  • 2012 Stucknut NFL Pool Champion
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2014, 08:04:54 pm »
Want to speed up the game?  Remove the DH.

Word on the DH, but I'm not sure if it speeds the game up. The NL games I watch take just as long as AL games.
Maryland TerrapinsWashington NationalsWashington WizardsWashington RedskinsWashington Capitals

Learjet89

• -Nutter-
  • -Fact Checker-
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2014, 08:07:11 pm »
Cut a minute out of the between inning commercial breaks
Xavier MusketeersCincinnati RedsCincinnati Bengals

Skullet

• Ethan's Point Guard
  • -Nutter-
  • NFL Pool Champ 2005
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2014, 08:50:24 pm »
Get rid of batting gloves. I don't watch much baseball, but everytime I do, each batter in between each pitch steps out and undoes the Velcro on his gloves and retightens them spits and adjusts the cup just to take the next pitch. Boring shit...

They won't shorten games...the longer the games are, the more commercials run...its a $$$ thing.

If you are that big of a baseball honk you should just switch channels during down time in the game and commercials...surely you have MLB network...honks

:popcorn
Sam Houston St. BearcatsHouston AstrosHouston RocketsHouston Texans

Learjet89

• -Nutter-
  • -Fact Checker-
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2014, 08:54:53 pm »
Olbermann made a good point about this

Xavier MusketeersCincinnati RedsCincinnati Bengals

Jeff in MD

• the M.D. is in the house
  • -Nutter-
  • 2012 Stucknut NFL Pool Champion
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2014, 10:10:22 pm »
Olbermann is spot on.
Maryland TerrapinsWashington NationalsWashington WizardsWashington RedskinsWashington Capitals