Author Topic: Speed up the damn game  (Read 19884 times)

Spanky

• -Security-
  • Has 2008 racks more than this
Re: Speed up the damn game
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2015, 09:23:01 pm »
How about we cut at least 40 of the damned commercials out of every freaking telecast. Games would be down to about 50 minutes.
Nebraska CornhuskersNew York YankeesNew York JetsMontreal Canadiens

Moodell

• International Brotherhood of Geniuses Local 163
  • -Nutter-
  • "Life is too serious to be taken seriously."
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2015, 06:03:33 am »
I went to watch the AAA Indianapolis game the other night. The International League has implemented the 20 second clock, pitcher must be set and batter must be in the box. After about 2 innings, the novelty of the clock wore off and it was just baseball. The quicker pace kept my mind in the game a bit more it seemed. I'm a baseball traditionalist but I like the idea of the 20 second clock.  :koolaid
Ohio St. BuckeyesCleveland IndiansIndiana PacersIndianapolis ColtsColumbus Blue Jackets
Progressives gnaw away at the pillars of our society as if they were  termites chewing on wood.

Steve in HTown

• -Admin-
    • stucknut
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2015, 10:04:02 am »
How about we cut at least 40 of the damned commercials out of every freaking telecast. Games would be down to about 50 minutes.

they do have a clock between innings.  commercial breaks dont seem as long.
Texas LonghornsMiami MarlinsSacramento KingsCleveland Browns

Justin NoCal

• FREE TUDO
  • Mod
  • leave the gun, take the cannolis
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2015, 07:06:17 pm »
I've noticed a lot more staying in the box, which I really like. By the time the pitchers is ready to regroup for his next pitch just seems like a good flow. I still want batters to be able to say "fvck this" and step out of the box while Kimbrel runs his intimidate pose for far too long.
California Golden BearsSan Francisco GiantsSacramento KingsWashington Redskins
Elevate, excavate, eliminate.

Hedstrom

• -Nutter-
  • Born and Raised in South Detroit
    • hedstrombacon
    • @hedstrombacon
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2015, 07:57:58 am »
Miami DolphinsCalgary Flames

Steve in HTown

• -Admin-
    • stucknut
« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2015, 01:31:49 pm »
It's working  :koolaid

Chris Marinak, Major League Baseballís senior vice president for league economics and strategy, said the average length of a nine-inning game had declined from 3 hours 2 minutes in 2014 (the first time it had been over 3 hours) to 2:54. Marinak said the eight-minute drop was the biggest decline in game time since 1963.

In the minors, where the pitch clock is also helping to move things along, the reduction has generally been even larger. Through games on Aug. 17, the average length of a nine-inning game in the Class AAA International League had fallen to 2:41, from 2:56 in 2014, a 15-minute decline that was the biggest among the minor leagues.

Right behind was the Class AAA Pacific Coast League, with a drop to 2:45 from 2:58. In Class AA, the Eastern League shaved off 12 minutes (2:38 from 2:50) and the Southern League, 11 minutes (2:41 from 2:52).

Saluki

• I'd never join a club that would have me as a
  • -Nutter-
  • I've made a huge mistake
« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2015, 01:36:49 pm »
Yet somehow Jeremy Hellickson is still allowed to take the mound every fifth day.
Southern Illinois SalukisPittsburgh PiratesChicago BullsPittsburgh SteelersPittsburgh Penguins
I'm more muscular than you /s/ Tudo

Jeff in MD

• the M.D. is in the house
  • -Nutter-
  • 2012 Stucknut NFL Pool Champion
« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2015, 11:44:20 am »
Yet somehow Jeremy Hellickson is still allowed to take the mound every fifth day.

Tell me about it, he pitched against the Nats a few weeks back and it took 2+ hours to get through the 5th inning.
Maryland TerrapinsWashington NationalsWashington WizardsWashington RedskinsWashington Capitals

frankinhouston

• -Member-
  • Hello!
    • @harryhooper8
« Reply #53 on: August 28, 2015, 10:13:16 pm »
I went to watch the AAA Indianapolis game the other night. The International League has implemented the 20 second clock, pitcher must be set and batter must be in the box. After about 2 innings, the novelty of the clock wore off and it was just baseball. The quicker pace kept my mind in the game a bit more it seemed. I'm a baseball traditionalist but I like the idea of the 20 second clock.  :koolaid

rack, but it will never happen

f
Texas A&M AggiesHouston AstrosHouston RocketsHouston Texans

Steve in HTown

• -Admin-
    • stucknut
« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2016, 12:26:43 pm »
They are introducing some new rules for this season as well  :koolaid

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/25495088/mlb-mlbpa-announce-rule-changes-involving-takeout-slides-pace-of-play
When it comes to pace-of-play improvements, the league has issued a new directive on mound visits and television commercial breaks. From the press release:

The pace of game program will expand this season to include timed 30-second visits to the pitcher's mound by managers and pitching coaches. In addition, break timers will now mirror the time allotted to broadcasters between innings: 2:05 for locally televised games and 2:25 for nationally televised games, a reduction of 20 seconds each from the 2015 season, when the timers counted down from 2:25 for local games and from 2:45 for national games. The change aims to allow players to more closely match the resumption of play with the return of broadcasters from commercial breaks.

Thanks in part to new rules limiting when a batter can leave the batter's box, average game times last season dropped under three hours. Consider the above a strong step in the same direction.

wireman

• -Nutter-
« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2016, 01:32:50 pm »
:rome was better X years ago
North Carolina Tar HeelsOakland AthleticsSacramento KingsOakland RaidersCarolina Hurricanes
I may be drunk Miss but, in the morning I'll be sober & you'll still be ugly. W. Churchill

Steve in HTown

• -Admin-
    • stucknut
« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2016, 01:42:03 pm »
They need to get the games back to 2:30 hours, like back in 1970  :koolaid

Average game time by year:
2015: 3.01
2010: 2.91
2005: 2.78
2000: 3.02
1990: 2.87
1980: 2.64
1970: 2.57
1960: 2.64
1950: 2.38

Dog

• -Nutter-
  • Amanda is a fat girl name
« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2016, 01:52:38 pm »
When you pay exorbitant ticket prices, I don't want the game to be faster.  I want to drink beer all got dam day.
Boise St. BroncosChicago CubsBoston CelticsMiami Dolphins

Spaz

• Pimp
  • -Member-
  • Fresh KING of Bel-Air
« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2016, 01:53:14 pm »
dodgers will win the world seres
UCLA BruinsLos Angeles DodgersGolden State WarriorsNew England PatriotsSan Jose Sharks
Don't fuk with me or I'll kick ur ass boi

Steve in HTown

• -Admin-
    • stucknut
« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2016, 01:55:50 pm »
When you pay exorbitant ticket prices, I don't want the game to be faster.  I want to drink beer all got dam day.

i'd rather get out of there quicker then head to a bar to get beer at a reasonable price