Author Topic: The School Team Name Game ad Infinitum  (Read 1641 times)

Hedstrom

• -Nutter-
  • Born and Raised in South Detroit
    • hedstrombacon
    • @hedstrombacon
The School Team Name Game ad Infinitum
« on: September 21, 2014, 11:23:43 am »
A rather recent example of changing a school name occurred locally. My grade school changed their name from Marauders to Mustangs. Of course as impressionable young kids, we believed our teachers when we asked them WTF a Marauder was and the answer was a soldier or guard. You'd think some of the teachers would have questioned this earlier, but I'd like to think there were more important issues for them to deal with. Interesting situation.

Despite the fact that there are references in the literature to soldiers being referred to as marauders, the true meaning is more commonly based around outlaws, thieves and pirates. Not a proper nickname for a sports team, much less an elementary school. This change came about because someone actually made the effort to do some research...no idea if it was a teacher, parent or student. Regardless, I think it was a good decision.

Unlike the Native American situation regarding the Redskins, Braves, Indians, etc, etc. What I see with that argument is more an example of the "wussification" of society, fuelled by political maneuvering. People using that as an agenda booster, rather than seeing it for what it is....a question of opinion. Snakeeyes is obviously pretty passionate about the subject and that's his right. I personally disagree with him and feel there's more important things going on these days. Does the issue really belong in the political circles when so many more issues should be addressed first and foremost? Deficits? Education? Poverty?

I can pretty much guarantee this will turn into a "stupid Canadians" or "zero cares" thread as that is how most of the general population in here operates. It would be kind of cool though to have an actual debate about whether the name of a sports team should be on the political agenda when there's so much more that could be done with that energy. Just sayin'.
Miami DolphinsCalgary Flames

Saluki

• I'd never join a club that would have me as a
  • -Nutter-
  • I've made a huge mistake
Re: The School Team Name Game ad Infinitum
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 11:27:22 am »
How does the Redskins changing their name keep the government from working on deficits, education, etc.?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 11:29:06 am by Saluki »
Southern Illinois SalukisPittsburgh PiratesChicago BullsPittsburgh SteelersPittsburgh Penguins
I'm more muscular than you /s/ Tudo

Snakeeyes

• Fair & Balanced.
  • -Nutter-
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 11:27:56 am »
Never underestimate the importance of language in the social construction of reality.

No Canook jokes, but I do always giggle at the "Why worry about burglary when murder exists?" argument.
Colorado St. RamsColorado RockiesDenver NuggetsBuffalo BillsBuffalo Sabres
"I took all the same classes as you at a much bigger D1 school."  :lol

Saluki

• -Nutter-
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 11:28:46 am »
As a nation of more than 300 million people, I'd like to think we can do more than one thing at a time. :lol
Southern Illinois SalukisPittsburgh PiratesChicago BullsPittsburgh SteelersPittsburgh Penguins

Snakeeyes

• Fair & Balanced.
  • -Nutter-
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 11:30:11 am »
Hedstrom's nation has much fewer people though.   :lol

Learjet89

• -Nutter-
  • -Fact Checker-
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 11:35:49 am »
Because out of control PC policies and nanny state tactics instituted by the Queen on her subjects often comes to America within 10-20 years.
Xavier MusketeersCincinnati RedsCincinnati Bengals

BNI

• Tard Whisperer
  • -Nutter-
  • Vagina Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 11:38:15 am »
I think it is time people start putting the energy and time they use for something dumb as a team name on any level and put that time and energy to use on real social issues and problems that are way more serious. The majority of this crap basically boils down to white guilt or the further pussification of today's children.
Duke Blue DevilsAtlanta BravesCharlotte HornetsWashington RedskinsCarolina Hurricanes
BNI you're probably the worst person I've ever talked to in my life.

Saluki

• -Nutter-
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 11:40:40 am »
Change the name, don't change the name, I don't give a fvck. But it's ridiculous to say this other unrelated thing isn't getting done because there are some people fighting to change the name.

BNI

• Tard Whisperer
  • -Nutter-
  • Vagina Enthusiast
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2014, 11:42:50 am »
I always like how it is upper class white people that get offended by so much then run out to find a token "insert offended race here" and rush to get in front of a camera with them and try to get everyone to join in the white guilt outrage.
Duke Blue DevilsAtlanta BravesCharlotte HornetsWashington RedskinsCarolina Hurricanes

Snakeeyes

• Fair & Balanced.
  • -Nutter-
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2014, 11:44:43 am »
Before I could comment on this example, I'd need to have more information on the specifics.

As far as using a racial slur as a team name, not only is Saluki right that changing it has nothing to do with other problems, but I could argue that even if it did there might be not much that is more important than fighting the problem of societal racism and prejudice.

Snakeeyes

• Fair & Balanced.
  • -Nutter-
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2014, 11:46:06 am »
I always like how it is upper class white people that get offended by so much then run out to find a token "insert offended race here" and rush to get in front of a camera with them and try to get everyone to join in the white guilt outrage.

Hmm....well, perhaps you'd see more Indians bitching about it had we not literally decimated their population and pushed them onto reservations to live in poverty.  Just a thought.

BNI

• Tard Whisperer
  • -Nutter-
  • Vagina Enthusiast
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2014, 11:48:37 am »
Hmm....well, perhaps you'd see more Indians bitching about it had we not literally decimated their population and pushed them onto reservations to live in poverty.  Just a thought.

We? I'm sorry I am not old enough to have been a part of that. I find it hard to carry the same guilt you feel around for something I played no role in.

Snakeeyes

• Fair & Balanced.
  • -Nutter-
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2014, 11:49:55 am »
Well, it certainly is much easier if we just sweep history under the rug.

How long do we have to wait before we can stop blaming radical Islam for 9/11?  Just curious.

Learjet89

• -Nutter-
  • -Fact Checker-
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2014, 11:55:43 am »
Well, it certainly is much easier if we just sweep history under the rug.

So let's remove all references to Native Americans, including team names.
Xavier MusketeersCincinnati RedsCincinnati Bengals

Snakeeyes

• Fair & Balanced.
  • -Nutter-
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2014, 11:58:35 am »
Let's start with the racial slurs.