Author Topic: 2014 Hot Stove League has officially begun  (Read 1432 times)

Moodell

• International Brotherhood of Geniuses Local 163
  • -Nutter-
  • "Life is too serious to be taken seriously."
2014 Hot Stove League has officially begun
« on: November 17, 2014, 01:05:33 pm »
This kind of came out of nowhere but with John Hart involved, there should never be any surprises. I'll give the Braves a slight edge on this one, given their need to solidify that gimpy rotation. I think Miller has huge upside here. Could be that the Cards were forced to make this move to offset the death of Oscar Taveras. A change of scenery may do Heyward some good but I get the feeling that after 5 years, what we see is what we get with Jason. Walden is a perfect fit for the Cardinals' bullpen.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/breaking/chi-braves-jason-heyward-cardinals-shelby-miller-20141117-story.html?track=rss
Ohio St. BuckeyesCleveland IndiansCleveland CavaliersIndianapolis ColtsColumbus Blue Jackets
Progressives gnaw away at the pillars of our society as if they were  termites chewing on wood.

Saluki

• I'd never join a club that would have me as a
  • -Nutter-
  • I've made a huge mistake
Re: 2014 Hot Stove League has officially begun
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 01:09:34 pm »
I think Russell Martin signed a 5-year deal for ridiculous $$ with Toronto.
Southern Illinois SalukisPittsburgh PiratesChicago BullsPittsburgh SteelersPittsburgh Penguins
I'm more muscular than you /s/ Tudo

Moodell

• -Nutter-
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 01:10:12 pm »
Yep  :lol
Ohio St. BuckeyesCleveland IndiansCleveland CavaliersIndianapolis ColtsColumbus Blue Jackets
Progressives gnaw away at the pillars of our society as if they were  termites chewing on wood.

Justin NoCal

• Dickpuss Penegor, PhD.
  • Mod
  • leave the gun, take the cannolis
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 05:12:02 pm »

Leave it to Toronto. That one's gonna hurt for a while.
California Golden BearsSan Francisco GiantsSacramento KingsWashington Redskins
Elevate, excavate, eliminate.

Justin NoCal

• Dickpuss Penegor, PhD.
  • Mod
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 12:08:50 pm »
Pablo Sandoval and Hanley Ramirez going to Boston.

Giants will probably steal Lester away.

Spanky

• -Security-
  • Has 2008 racks more than this
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 01:25:45 pm »
Hanley will spend 2 and a half months on someone elses DL...awesome. Sandoval will pay off only if they go to the playoffs, which is gonna be rough if they don't get a lot more pitching. Wasted cash in my opinion.
Nebraska CornhuskersNew York YankeesNew York JetsMontreal Canadiens

B.P. in H town

• -Member-
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 02:00:22 pm »
Hanley will spend 2 and a half months on someone elses DL...awesome. Sandoval will pay off only if they go to the playoffs, which is gonna be rough if they don't get a lot more pitching. Wasted cash in my opinion.

At least Sandoval has prime years ahead of him, all of the other big name free agents are 30+.

Front Porch

• Rat bastard
  • -Security-
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 02:31:17 pm »
I would be a little worried with Sandoval carrying that weight long term. 

He has also regressed as a hitter the last 4 years. 

Just looking at those two numbers I am not sure I would be wanting Pablo that badly. 

Justin NoCal

• Dickpuss Penegor, PhD.
  • Mod
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2014, 02:48:59 pm »
Just looking at those two numbers I am not sure I would be wanting Pablo that badly.

This. I didn't really mind him signing elsewhere if that's how many years he wanted and the price tag he had. That said, the pickings are slim at 3B this offseason. Pablo has had his fair share of injuries. I have a feeling he's going to break down the past few years of his contract. Can't carry that extra weight forever.

I have never really understood the appeal Ramirez has. He's not worth anything near the contracts he has been given. More big money teams spending stupid money.

Spanky

• -Security-
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2014, 04:14:01 pm »
Sandoval is a classic post-championship big cash rake guy.  Its weird how these days you only need to ha e a good playoff run in order to get a huge contract but it happens in every league every year. BoSox will regret it and we'll probably see Pablo (and Hanley too) as trade deadline guys in a couple of years.

You'd have thought Boston learned their lesson the last time they went out and grabbed a bunch of high priced players. History repeats itself I suppose.

Jeff in MD

• the M.D. is in the house
  • -Nutter-
  • 2012 Stucknut NFL Pool Champion
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2014, 07:24:10 pm »
To Justin's point about the 3B pickings being slim, you know that's the case when the Mariners give Kyle Seager 7/$100 million, which now means they have $340 million tied up in their 2B & 3B. :lol

Hey Mariners, don't overspend or anything. :uhh
Maryland TerrapinsWashington NationalsWashington WizardsWashington RedskinsWashington Capitals

Spanky

• -Security-
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2014, 09:43:36 pm »
Meanwhile, starting at 1B: Justin Smoak .202 7 HR, 30 RBI or Logan Morrison .262 11 HR, 38 RBI

SS, C, LF, and RF are all kinda shitty too and they are trying to trade 1 of their only 2 good starting pitchers.

Moodell

• -Nutter-
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2014, 11:28:21 am »
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/11963217/nelson-cruz-agrees-deal-seattle-mariners

On the surface, this doesn't look like a bad deal for the Mariners. Below the surface, this is a 34 year old guy who has been injury prone throughout his career, with only two seasons where he was able to play more than 125 games. Also, his production plummeted dramatically after the all star break last season, and hitting in Seattle is not like hitting in Camden Yards. I see .250/25/75 in his future.

Justin NoCal

• Dickpuss Penegor, PhD.
  • Mod
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2014, 12:20:48 pm »
I kind of wanted the Giants to take a long look at him when I heard they may be interested but an aging star with a history of steroid use kind of turned me off and I'm sure the Giants had similar concerns. Especially with the Melky Cabrera thing. Wonder what kind of contract stipulations he has with the Mariners.

Moodell

• -Nutter-
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2014, 12:44:14 pm »
I kind of wanted the Giants to take a long look at him when I heard they may be interested but an aging star with a history of steroid use kind of turned me off and I'm sure the Giants had similar concerns. Especially with the Melky Cabrera thing. Wonder what kind of contract stipulations he has with the Mariners.
I think the Giants would be better served with Markakis or even Aoki if they can handle the decrease in power numbers. Adding John Lester to that rotation would be devastating to the rest of the NL West. They'd only need to score about 3 runs/game to have a run at 100 wins.  :lol