Author Topic: Jim Rome out as CBS TV show host?!?  (Read 1978 times)

VicNocal

• NFL Pool Champ
  • -Member-
  • My brand > Your brand
    • vicnocal
California Golden BearsChicago BullsChicago Bears
Invariably this Wednesday when I go to Chic Fil A, the woman will ask if the money I left on the counter is mine, and I'll smile and say, "No its yours". - B.P. in Houston

Steve in HTown

• -Admin-
    • stucknut
Re: Jim Rome out as CBS TV show host?!?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 01:16:56 pm »
 :koolaid he's going back to a 5 hour radio show
Texas LonghornsHouston AstrosHouston RocketsCleveland Browns

VicNocal

• NFL Pool Champ
  • -Member-
  • My brand > Your brand
    • vicnocal
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 01:29:20 pm »
I wonder what he'll do now.  Obviously he'll have more time to put more effort into his horseracing stuff, but I hope this means he focuses a bit more on the radio show as well.

Sometimes less is more - it's like when Mike Holmgren got stripped of his GM and president duties and was able to just focus on coaching and got the Seahawks to the Super Bowl.

I thought the ROME show was OK, at least as good as JRIB and all those other Pardon the First Horn shows, but that was a brutal channel to be on, even if you were actively looking for the show sometimes you'd have trouble finding it - forget about just stumbling across it while you channel surf.
Invariably this Wednesday when I go to Chic Fil A, the woman will ask if the money I left on the counter is mine, and I'll smile and say, "No its yours". - B.P. in Houston

Steve in HTown

• -Admin-
    • stucknut
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 02:31:36 pm »
It's KB's time to take over the TV show

Hopefully he uses the extra time to relax or spend with his family

VicNocal

• NFL Pool Champ
  • -Member-
  • My brand > Your brand
    • vicnocal
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 03:21:08 pm »
What TV show?  It says the TV show is getting cancelled.

Steve in HTown

• -Admin-
    • stucknut
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 03:43:37 pm »
What TV show?  It says the TV show is getting cancelled.

a new show  :uhh
somethings gotta take up that time slot

toptenguy

• -Member-
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 05:05:41 pm »
It was a bad sign that even a full year in, he STILL had to tweet a "channel finder" link for people to find the damn thing. It really was a waste of time, or at least it felt like it.

DrewInDTLA

• -Jungle Twitter Posse-
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2014, 12:27:19 am »
Yea, the entire show was futile.
Must be hard putting effort into something that no one watches.

crackerhax

• -Member-
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2014, 07:56:32 am »
Boom. Outta here.

Lance In Topeka

• -Member-
  • AKA "Flatu-Lance" or "Lance the Scorpion"
    • @Lance_in_Topeka
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2014, 08:12:26 pm »
ROME on CBS Sports Network is more or less a cliffs-notes version of his radio show. When I lived in Louisville, I'd watch once in awhile if I missed his radio show that day. Here in Topeka, though, the local cable companies don't carry CBS-SN except on a digital cable package, so I couldn't see ROME. It's too bad the TV show is getting cancelled. It seemed like a decent show.
Kansas JayhawksKansas City RoyalsKansas City Chiefs
Make the world a better place: Fart in Parody Larry's face!

crackerhax

• -Member-
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2014, 03:36:57 pm »
ROME on CBS Sports Network is more or less a cliffs-notes version of his radio show.

Just as JR Is Burning was.

PopsGeez

• best poster on stucknut
  • -Member-
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2014, 04:29:58 pm »

Jeff in MD

• the M.D. is in the house
  • -Nutter-
  • 2012 Stucknut NFL Pool Champion
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2014, 11:23:27 pm »
To Vic's point, the average viewer has to be able to find the show or it's going to be a problem. I have CBSSN and had interest in his show and liked the format but I couldn't keep up with when it was on or remember the channel number, and most times just forgot about it.  The only people who have probably tunes in consistently are Rome die-hards who have CBS Sports Network, which narrows down the viewership right there. His shows from the past were positioned much better - JRIB was on ESPN in a good time slot and not sure about nationally, but back in the day the Last Word was on one of the local D.C. sports networks that everyone around here with a basic cable package had, was really easy to find, and usually aired right after a local game so around here it was in a very cushy time slot for viewership. If you do have CBSSN it probably means you have a dish or a digital package with hundreds of channels and a ton of other choices for sports shows. Hopefully he does another show in the future on a better network.
Maryland TerrapinsWashington NationalsWashington WizardsWashington RedskinsWashington Capitals

John in Nashville

• 16 in the clip and one in the hole.
  • -Nutter-
  • Georgetown Sucks!
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2014, 11:40:33 pm »
Pour Rome what will he do? Go home and count his money I guess, time to buy some more horses.
Syracuse OrangeNew York YankeesNew York KnicksNew York GiantsNashville Predators

VicNocal

• NFL Pool Champ
  • -Member-
  • My brand > Your brand
    • vicnocal
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2014, 11:59:46 pm »
To Vic's point, the average viewer has to be able to find the show or it's going to be a problem. I have CBSSN and had interest in his show and liked the format but I couldn't keep up with when it was on or remember the channel number, and most times just forgot about it.  The only people who have probably tunes in consistently are Rome die-hards who have CBS Sports Network, which narrows down the viewership right there. His shows from the past were positioned much better - JRIB was on ESPN in a good time slot and not sure about nationally, but back in the day the Last Word was on one of the local D.C. sports networks that everyone around here with a basic cable package had, was really easy to find, and usually aired right after a local game so around here it was in a very cushy time slot for viewership. If you do have CBSSN it probably means you have a dish or a digital package with hundreds of channels and a ton of other choices for sports shows. Hopefully he does another show in the future on a better network.

Yeah, or also offer the show online with ads or something.  I don't know, I'm not in the TV business.

But I'm one of those losers who can't afford cable who chooses not to have cable, so I sure as hell don't have CBS Sports Network, and a couple of times I wanted to see the show because Rome was going to have a specific guest on or something, and I couldn't find even clips of it online, I'd even ask KB "Is there anywhere to watch online or something?" and get no answer.