Author Topic: great first show of the year today  (Read 2079 times)

PopsGeez

• best poster on stucknut
  • -Member-
great first show of the year today
« on: January 02, 2015, 01:53:09 pm »
i like this 15 minute segment to end the day

VicNocal

• NFL Pool Champ
  • -Member-
  • My brand > Your brand
    • vicnocal
Re: great first show of the year today
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 02:23:52 pm »
what happened? Please tell me they actually changed the clock around - that 4 minute final segment they went to about a year or two ago is horrible.

I didnt listen today because it wasnt till like Hour 3 that I even knew he was back today, and when I tried to find an online stream on 2 different sites (Mighty 1090 in SD and The Beast from LA), one had a different show on the air and the other was just silence. I gave up.
California Golden BearsChicago BullsChicago Bears
Invariably this Wednesday when I go to Chic Fil A, the woman will ask if the money I left on the counter is mine, and I'll smile and say, "No its yours". - B.P. in Houston

Steve in HTown

• -Admin-
    • stucknut
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 02:29:51 pm »
yeah, clock change.  they are doing 3 segments per hour, so long segments and commercial breaks.

it should prevent the 2 minute final segments that screwed with the twitter contests.
Texas LonghornsHouston AstrosHouston RocketsCleveland Browns

VicNocal

• NFL Pool Champ
  • -Member-
  • My brand > Your brand
    • vicnocal
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 12:13:13 pm »
Well, this whole 3 segments thing might actually be even worse than the previous clock.  It just doesn't feel right, especially when Rome has to do the whole "But first, here's a CBS sports update with so-and-so".  What the fvck? That's the kind of crap you make a radio guy do when he's first starting out on some shitty local show, not when he's been a national name for 20 years.

It also makes the show become even more interview-centric, which is bad, because it's like he'll do an interview for 10-15mins, then talk about the interview till the segment ends. Then the next segment starts and he does another interview.  Pretty soon you're already looking at the last segment of the hour and the only thing that's been accomplished in that hour has been 2 interviews.

It's also weird to hear Up All Night start playing when my clock still says 11:40am

Invariably this Wednesday when I go to Chic Fil A, the woman will ask if the money I left on the counter is mine, and I'll smile and say, "No its yours". - B.P. in Houston

toptenguy

• -Member-
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 12:59:22 pm »
Well hey, those 2 interviews were incredible! I mean they are college sophomores, and they're actually capable of putting together a coherent sentence!  They also know the rules of their sports and don't make stupid mistakes, so we're not sure if they're 20 or 35!! 

toptenguy

• -Member-
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2015, 02:24:03 pm »
Speaking of Interviews, I'm about to listen to the Bob Huggins one.  I find it him to be shockingly good, as I find him a bit Jason Stewart'esque, where he makes it a point to sound wooden and leconic. And he actually brings in a few good jokes out of the blue, and he actually likes being interviewed.  for example, his opening comment today: "Thanks Jim, it's been about 10 years I think?"    And a few years ago, he started with "Thanks jim, I was starting to think you forgot about me".

Steve in HTown

• -Admin-
    • stucknut
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 04:02:56 pm »
 :lol rome always forgets to go to the sports update guy
Texas LonghornsHouston AstrosHouston RocketsCleveland Browns

DrewInDTLA

• -Jungle Twitter Posse-
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 11:06:20 pm »
lawlz

toptenguy

• -Member-
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2015, 01:14:44 pm »
I see on Rome's site that one of the takes is about a horse race this weekend. Let me guess. He spent 2/3 of the show talking about it. *yawn*

VicNocal

• NFL Pool Champ
  • -Member-
  • My brand > Your brand
    • vicnocal
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2015, 03:14:59 pm »
I dont know but today he talked a little about when he was starting out and since he wasn't some kind of ex ballplayer or anything, if he was going to make it in sports talk radio he was going to have to be different, come at it from a different angle.
Yeah, Rome, that was what the smack was about, the Jungle gloss, the daily Huge Call of the Day with the phone lines all jammed up with people calling every day, the Fax Contest, no pimping of products, the Smackoffs, Tour Stops with 17,000 people in attendance, SI articles with you hanging out w/Clones at a bar.

It wasn't about 4 interviews a day, live reading of ads for f'ing Sherrie's Berries, "but first, the CBS Sports Update", "Ask the Pros", horse racing, or taking a clip from an earlier interview with some college basketball coach and calling it "the huge call" of the day.   

I wonder if he's aware of all this, or if he's too close to the forest to see the trees & lacks the self awareness to know he's basically Brent Musburger.

DrewInDTLA

• -Jungle Twitter Posse-
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2015, 05:22:58 pm »
I dont know but today he talked a little about when he was starting out and since he wasn't some kind of ex ballplayer or anything, if he was going to make it in sports talk radio he was going to have to be different, come at it from a different angle.
Yeah, Rome, that was what the smack was about, the Jungle gloss, the daily Huge Call of the Day with the phone lines all jammed up with people calling every day, the Fax Contest, no pimping of products, the Smackoffs, Tour Stops with 17,000 people in attendance, SI articles with you hanging out w/Clones at a bar.

It wasn't about 4 interviews a day, live reading of ads for f'ing Sherrie's Berries, "but first, the CBS Sports Update", "Ask the Pros", horse racing, or taking a clip from an earlier interview with some college basketball coach and calling it "the huge call" of the day.   

I wonder if he's aware of all this, or if he's too close to the forest to see the trees & lacks the self awareness to know he's basically Brent Musburger.

Incredible post. Spot on.

CAPT. NED

• Mere Clone
  • -Member-
  • a few candies short of a pinata
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2015, 06:09:27 am »

:koolaid  jus add Jim Loam to list of doods who forgot who put em where they are,calls from Clones  referee2 made him who he is,now hes proud of "Less of you,more horsey talk from me :uhh "TehJungle used to be  :laugh: :laugh: :o Shizzt on tehRadio, now.......Mostly  referee1
im out  :lol
Michigan Wolverines

Hedstrom

• -Nutter-
  • Born and Raised in South Detroit
    • hedstrombacon
    • @hedstrombacon
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2015, 08:41:38 am »
He's already done his heavy lifting, made a name for himself and is reaping the benefits. Dude probably has more cash coming at him than his grandkids kids could spend and he's in cruise mode. I like the old Jungle too but times change and dude is in a different socioeconomical class and mindset. He's no longer one of the regular people anymore, although you see glimpses of the old him when he does a good rant here and there. Like they always say, don't hate da playa...hate da game.
Miami DolphinsCalgary Flames

toptenguy

• -Member-
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2015, 01:27:35 pm »
Yep, perfectly said.  He's in cruise control right now, and while that makes the show dull, I dont' blame him one bit. I would do the same.

DrewInDTLA

• -Jungle Twitter Posse-
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2015, 02:04:31 pm »
You still hear glimpses of the old Rome when he tells a story about the old days, something KB couldnt possibly know or write for him.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 10:57:24 pm by DrewInDTLA »
Oakland AthleticsGolden State WarriorsOakland Raiders