Author Topic: Team that never punts  (Read 692 times)

Front Porch

• Rat bastard
  • -Security-
Team that never punts
« on: January 04, 2015, 07:23:44 pm »
There is a team in Arkansas that never punts, Pulaski Academy and has been successful in doing so.  This includes 4th and 20 from their own 5.  Again they have won several championships been successful doing this.

I think of this after Detroit had a 4th and 1 and punted.  Dallas goes on to score and take the lead and win.  Cue hindsight but that is not really the point here as just about every team and every coach would have done the same thing. 

However should they do that?  4th and 1 is converted 75% of the time give or take a few points.  Every chart and study says it is better to go for this than kick.  No matter the field position.  Around midfield this jumps out to almost anything under 10 yards and the team should go for it.

I would love to see an NFL or even a college coach do this.  I am surprised there is not someone as all of the evidence that no one has ever tried this.  Would you be ready for your team to start playing like Madden and going for it on 4th downs instead of playing it safe?

Turd Ferguson

• PITNCC Martyr
  • -Nutter-
  • The chat is always better when I am around
Re: Team that never punts
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 08:06:01 pm »
There is a team in Arkansas that never punts, Pulaski Academy and has been successful in doing so.  This includes 4th and 20 from their own 5.  Again they have won several championships been successful doing this.

I think of this after Detroit had a 4th and 1 and punted.  Dallas goes on to score and take the lead and win.  Cue hindsight but that is not really the point here as just about every team and every coach would have done the same thing. 

However should they do that?  4th and 1 is converted 75% of the time give or take a few points.  Every chart and study says it is better to go for this than kick.  No matter the field position.  Around midfield this jumps out to almost anything under 10 yards and the team should go for it.

I would love to see an NFL or even a college coach do this.  I am surprised there is not someone as all of the evidence that no one has ever tried this.  Would you be ready for your team to start playing like Madden and going for it on 4th downs instead of playing it safe?

I dont know bro maybe you should call a radio show and give a take and stuff
Turd - I have never really bought into the genius that is Turd.  I know he is well loved and considered a great poster.  His brand of humor just doesn't do it for me.

Front Porch

• Rat bastard
  • -Security-
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 08:57:33 pm »
I thought that is what we did here. 

Spanky

• -Security-
  • Has 2008 racks more than this
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 09:09:09 pm »
Nope, we just mock or blatantly insult anyone who presents an original, thoughtful idea and never really give a shit about anything.

In reference to the post, I support not punting, but it has to be situational. 4th and 8 from your own 5 yard line on the first drive of the game is straight up retarded. However, anything from your own 40 and up, and less than 7-8 yards would warrant a real consideration from me. I do that in Madden all the time, so I can say it works.
Nebraska CornhuskersNew York YankeesNew York JetsMontreal Canadiens

Learjet89

• -Nutter-
  • -Fact Checker-
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 09:14:20 pm »
It's an interesting idea, but I doubt it will come to the NFL anytime soon.  Maybe 5 years after a major college program tries it.
Xavier MusketeersCincinnati RedsCincinnati Bengals

Front Porch

• Rat bastard
  • -Security-
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 09:30:39 pm »
For me the crazy part is the HS team does go for it on 4th and 8 from their 5. 

I don't think you can always go for it and have that be right, however teams could be far more aggressive.  The one that does drive me nuts is the 4th and short from the opponents 40. 

Teams punt like 99% of the time.  It always seem like they get the ball at the 10 and I believe has like a 10% difference in whether a team scores on the drive or not.  Or you can for it and odds 75% you will convert.  Once you convert there is huge chance you will score. 

Turd Ferguson

• PITNCC Martyr
  • -Nutter-
  • The chat is always better when I am around
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 09:31:39 pm »
Nope, we just mock or blatantly insult anyone who presents an original, thoughtful idea and never really give a shit about

Shut up bitch quit ruining the site
Turd - I have never really bought into the genius that is Turd.  I know he is well loved and considered a great poster.  His brand of humor just doesn't do it for me.

toptenguy

• -Member-
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 09:34:14 pm »

Dallas Carter from the Friday Night Lights movie, baby!!

Spanky

• -Security-
  • Has 2008 racks more than this
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2015, 09:34:40 pm »
For me the crazy part is the HS team does go for it on 4th and 8 from their 5. 

That's the thing though, it's HS. It's alot easier to hit 8 yards when you want on that level than against the best players in the game.
Nebraska CornhuskersNew York YankeesNew York JetsMontreal Canadiens

Front Porch

• Rat bastard
  • -Security-
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2015, 10:17:13 pm »
That's the thing though, it's HS. It's alot easier to hit 8 yards when you want on that level than against the best players in the game.

The bigger difference is the punters.  In HS you probably have a much lower net yardage when punting than in the pros.  So if you are only netting 30 yards vs 40 yards that is a big difference. 

I know when I coached Pee Wee we never even debated.  Our best punt was 10 yards so it was an easy decision. 

For example if punt from 5 and only I think will you push you to the 35 you probably still score, I didn't buy much.  IF I think I can push you to the 50 that makes a difference.  Not huge but it does change the results of the formula.

I don't see a team going as far as a HS team. It is a different game but teams are way more conservative than they could be. 

toptenguy

• -Member-
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2015, 05:48:39 am »
It was several years ago, but the Patriots went for it on 4th and 2 at their own 30 yard line in Indy, late in the 4th with a 4 point lead.   It ended up backfiring, but I respected the hell out of it.

1- If you get 2 measly yards, you seal the game right there. Peyton doesn't even get the ball again, and you win.

2- If you don't make it, Peyton still has to go 30 yards for a TD, so that really gives you 2 chances to win instead of 1.  Since let's face it, if you punt it 50 yards, they'll go in "Prevent defense" mode, and Peyton will get those 50 yards back in like 45 seconds anyway. Why not give yourself 2 different chances to win?   

So again, backfired, but respects to Belichick.

Steve in HTown

• -Admin-
    • stucknut
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2015, 08:44:50 am »

is this the same team that does an onside kick every time too?  i remember seeing a high school team featured on ESPN one time for never punting and always doing an onsides.  the coach relied on percentages, like they might recover the onsides kick 20% of the time, but if they don't get it and the other team gets the ball at the 50 yard line, they was already a 65% chance that their offense would of got them there anyways with a conventional kickoff.

(or something like that)
Texas LonghornsHouston AstrosHouston RocketsCleveland Browns

jeff in tucson

• puts the "semen" in amusement :koolaid
  • -Nutter-
    • sb1070supporter
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2015, 09:23:33 am »
I'm all for a 4th down conversion attempt, after all it is entertaining aand that's why we watch. But as a player, especially a defensive player, it sends a mixed message. 4th and 10 from your own 5 tells your defense A) we have supreme confidence that you will stop their offense if we don't convert, or B) we have absolutely no confidence in you, doesn't matter where they get the ball they're going to score anyway, at least we have a chance if we go for it. If I were coaching I would make sure to gather my D around me before a 4th down conversion attempt and tell them "Fellas, we're going for this because we KNOW we can depend on you to make a stop if we don't make it." That way they know the team has faith in them, and there's simply no bigger a motivation for a football player.
Arizona WildcatsArizona DiamondbacksPhoenix SunsDallas CowboysPhoenix Coyotes

Front Porch

• Rat bastard
  • -Security-
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2015, 09:25:29 am »
Yes and they always go for 2.

Regarding the onside kick though the math still works and this is where a HS kicker makes a huge difference.

In HS you kick from the 40 so an onside kick was recovered on average at the opponents 47 so they have 53 yards to go.  When they kicked deep the opponent was starting on the 33 yard line.  So he exchanged 14 yards of field position for a 20% chance of recovery. 

The NFL is different as I think teams average around the 25 and would get the ball at the opponents so there would be a 30 yard difference in that one. 

Front Porch

• Rat bastard
  • -Security-
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2015, 09:26:41 am »
It was several years ago, but the Patriots went for it on 4th and 2 at their own 30 yard line in Indy, late in the 4th with a 4 point lead.   It ended up backfiring, but I respected the hell out of it.

1- If you get 2 measly yards, you seal the game right there. Peyton doesn't even get the ball again, and you win.

2- If you don't make it, Peyton still has to go 30 yards for a TD, so that really gives you 2 chances to win instead of 1.  Since let's face it, if you punt it 50 yards, they'll go in "Prevent defense" mode, and Peyton will get those 50 yards back in like 45 seconds anyway. Why not give yourself 2 different chances to win?   

So again, backfired, but respects to Belichick.

He got crushed but it was probably the right call and gave the team the highest chance of winning.