Author Topic: If Pete Carroll could do it all over again...  (Read 2710 times)

Steve in HTown

• -Admin-
    • stucknut
If Pete Carroll could do it all over again...
« on: February 02, 2015, 12:59:01 pm »
Do you think he would let Marshawn try to punch it in or throw it again?

I'm only asking because nobody else is covering it on sports radio.
I'll hang up and listen.
Texas LonghornsHouston AstrosHouston RocketsCleveland Browns

Learjet89

• -Nutter-
  • -Fact Checker-
Re: If Pete Carroll could do it all over again...
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 01:05:22 pm »
No, he'd still call the play.  He has always gone away from the hot player throughout his coaching career.
Xavier MusketeersCincinnati RedsCincinnati Bengals

Steve in HTown

• -Admin-
    • stucknut
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 01:08:01 pm »
Another factor that nobody has brought up....

why didn't the hoodie call a time out?  If Seattle did score, there would be no time to come back.
Texas LonghornsHouston AstrosHouston RocketsCleveland Browns

Rob in VB

• Masticater
  • Mod
  • Zamboni Pilot
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 01:22:38 pm »
Georgetown HoyasNew York MetsNew York KnicksDallas CowboysWashington Capitals

PopsGeez

• best poster on stucknut
  • -Member-
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 01:22:52 pm »
Another factor that nobody has brought up....

why didn't the hoodie call a time out?  If Seattle did score, there would be no time to come back.

because he's a bad coach

Front Porch

• Rat bastard
  • -Security-
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 01:51:20 pm »
If Seattle scores Bill gets crushed for not taking time outs. His d bailed him out. 

Or he is a genius and knew that not calling a time out would force a throw on 2nd down and had his guys ready for an all out blitz and to jump every route praying for a sack which would lose yards and force a time out or a turnover.

If bill called a time out Seattle runs the ball

The pass from clock management does make some sense. You feel like it was pass and a clock stop or score. Run and time out and run. Either score or win at that point. However I would rather seen a play action with a fake to lynch or rollout and allow Wilson to throw it away. Instead you forced a pass into the middle with no read.

Other interesting takes. I am not sure Bill felt Brady could take them down the field. His throws were all short and I am wondering if Brady like manning has the arm strength anymore. Given the recent contact and everything else Brady does not have long.

Finally with all of that thinking Pete forgot who and what they are. His offense is built to get that one yard. Even with just two shots you have to go after that. Everyone on Seattle will never forget that.

Rob in VB

• Masticater
  • Mod
  • Zamboni Pilot
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 01:55:36 pm »
I'm glad we cleared that up. :uhh  Now what is Steeb gonna do to increase the forum posts?  >:(
Georgetown HoyasNew York MetsNew York KnicksDallas CowboysWashington Capitals

Front Porch

• Rat bastard
  • -Security-
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2015, 01:56:36 pm »
We have some great plans.

Saluki

• I'd never join a club that would have me as a
  • -Nutter-
  • I've made a huge mistake
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2015, 01:57:06 pm »
I'm glad we cleared that up. :uhh  Now what is Steeb gonna do to increase the forum posts?  >:(

Bots :koolaid
Southern Illinois SalukisPittsburgh PiratesChicago BullsPittsburgh SteelersPittsburgh Penguins
I'm more muscular than you /s/ Tudo

Jeff in MD

• the M.D. is in the house
  • -Nutter-
  • 2012 Stucknut NFL Pool Champion
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2015, 02:56:16 pm »
I agree with what FP said to a degree. You still have time to give the ball to Lynch in that situation with a TO left. And if they were going to throw it, they pick Ricardo Lockette on a quick slant? :uhh Kearse, Baldwin and Matthews had made big catch after big catch in the playoffs and in Matthews case the whole game yesterday. At least one of them wasn't covered by Revis or Browner and if they have Wilson roll out it would have bought him some time and someone would have gotten open. If not, throw it away and you have 2 more plays to get 6 feet.
Maryland TerrapinsWashington NationalsWashington WizardsWashington RedskinsWashington Capitals

VicNocal

• NFL Pool Champ
  • -Member-
  • My brand > Your brand
    • vicnocal
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2015, 03:00:45 pm »
If Seattle scores Bill gets crushed for not taking time outs. His d bailed him out. 

Or he is a genius and knew that not calling a time out would force a throw on 2nd down and had his guys ready for an all out blitz and to jump every route praying for a sack which would lose yards and force a time out or a turnover.

If bill called a time out Seattle runs the ball

The pass from clock management does make some sense. You feel like it was pass and a clock stop or score. Run and time out and run. Either score or win at that point. However I would rather seen a play action with a fake to lynch or rollout and allow Wilson to throw it away. Instead you forced a pass into the middle with no read.

Other interesting takes. I am not sure Bill felt Brady could take them down the field. His throws were all short and I am wondering if Brady like manning has the arm strength anymore. Given the recent contact and everything else Brady does not have long.

Finally with all of that thinking Pete forgot who and what they are. His offense is built to get that one yard. Even with just two shots you have to go after that. Everyone on Seattle will never forget that.

Except that everyone forgets that after the 1st down run which got them to the 1-yd line, there was 1:00 left.  1:00 and 1 timeout is all the time in the world to give Lynch 3 cracks at it if necessary.  If NE stops Lynch 3 straight times, then you shake their hand and congratulate them.   
These morons started overthinking it and worrying about leaving too much time on the clock. As they kept taking their time and taking their time and the clock was down into the mid 20s, I'm thinking What the f uck are these idiots doing?  Then I see them getting into shotgun formation and again I say What the f uck are they doing?  but I figured it was going to be a handoff out of the shotgun like a lot of teams do these days.  I was shocked at how it all played out.  A mindboggling indefensibly stupid playcall & clock management.  This isn't 2nd guessing, everybody 1st guessed it the moment they saw them lining up in shotgun.

I'm not even a Seahawks fan or a Patriots hater, I actually am a fan of Tom Brady, but for some reason I'm pissed.  I can only imagine how Seattle fans or Seattle players feel.  Bruce Irvin afterward said "We beat em bro. We beat em. I'm speechless." and I feel like they did.  It's weird.
California Golden BearsChicago BullsChicago Bears
Invariably this Wednesday when I go to Chic Fil A, the woman will ask if the money I left on the counter is mine, and I'll smile and say, "No its yours". - B.P. in Houston

Front Porch

• Rat bastard
  • -Security-
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2015, 04:38:53 pm »
I think NE not calling a time out surprised them.  That is such a bad decision.  I am ok with running it into the 20's.  I think that is the right thing to do. That said I think they completely blew the play call from there.

Run or pass I can understand to some extent.  This is the perfect situation for play action, that is what kills me with the call. NE has to expect and react to any fake to Lynch.  They were coming and any kind of fake could have left a wide open guy and or it is an easy throw away over his head. 

John in Nashville

• 16 in the clip and one in the hole.
  • -Nutter-
  • Georgetown Sucks!
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2015, 05:01:27 pm »
Do you think he would let Marshawn try to punch it in or throw it again?

I'm only asking because nobody else is covering it on sports radio.
I'll hang up and listen.

I am sure he was totally pleased with the outcome and would do that same thing again.
Syracuse OrangeNew York YankeesNew York KnicksNew York GiantsNashville Predators

VicNocal

• NFL Pool Champ
  • -Member-
  • My brand > Your brand
    • vicnocal
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2015, 05:02:43 pm »
Yep.  If they insisted on passing, playaction would've probably worked.

This whole idea that some morons are throwing out there (and which seemed to factor into Seattle's thinking) that you couldn't possibly leave any time on the clock for the mighty Superman Brady to come back and score, is absolutely moronic.

Yeah, ideally, you'd run the clock down a bit, but the #1 worry is to get a f'ing TD first.  Scoring a TD with about 40 seconds left & then having to rely on your #1 defense to stop them is one of them "good problems" to have.
California Golden BearsChicago BullsChicago Bears
Invariably this Wednesday when I go to Chic Fil A, the woman will ask if the money I left on the counter is mine, and I'll smile and say, "No its yours". - B.P. in Houston

Saluki

• I'd never join a club that would have me as a
  • -Nutter-
  • I've made a huge mistake
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2015, 07:14:56 pm »

I can only imagine how Seattle fans or Seattle players feel. 

I can tell you there are a lot of pissed-off Steelers fans, what with B&B tying Noll and Bradshaw.
Southern Illinois SalukisPittsburgh PiratesChicago BullsPittsburgh SteelersPittsburgh Penguins
I'm more muscular than you /s/ Tudo