Author Topic: Most overrated/underrated QBs of all-time  (Read 2283 times)

Jeff in MD

• the M.D. is in the house
  • -Nutter-
  • 2012 Stucknut NFL Pool Champion
Most overrated/underrated QBs of all-time
« on: February 02, 2015, 08:43:58 pm »
Underrated:

Joe Theismann - won a SB, an NFL MVP award, and 62% of his games in his career. Had a great arm and was also a duel threat as a runner/scrambler as well. Didn't start a full season until he was 29 so accomplished alot in a relatively short period of time during his career.

Ken O'Brien - A forgotten QB from the 83 draft class, played on a mediocre Jets team for years but took them to the playoffs 3 times between 85-91, Two 25 TD seasons, 25,000+ career passing yards, had 3 seasons of the lowest INT % of any QB, and was very accurate as a passer.

Neil Lomax - a really good QB who played on a bunch of horrible Cardinals teams in the 80s, led the league in passing in 1987 while only playing 12 games.

Brad Johnson - a very good QB for years, winning a SB in Tampa. Biggest problem was staying healthy or he would probably be talked about alot more

Can't really think of a specific QB who is overrated, perhaps Vinny Testaverde fits since he piled up numbers from playing for 21 years but was pretty much just average other than 2 really good seasons with the Ravens and Jets. 
Maryland TerrapinsWashington NationalsWashington WizardsWashington RedskinsWashington Capitals

Learjet89

• -Nutter-
  • -Fact Checker-
Re: Most overrated/underrated QBs of all-time
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 09:02:00 pm »
I agree with you on Ken O'Brian.
Joe Theisnap is properly rated.  He's not in the Hall of Fame, and he doesn't belong.

I hate saying this because I like him, but Favre is overrated.  He has all the career NFL passing records (both good and bad) simply because of career longevity.  At no point was he ever close to setting a single season record, unless he gets credit for Strahan's season sack record.
Xavier MusketeersCincinnati RedsCincinnati Bengals

Loves to Spooge

• -Member-
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 09:23:46 pm »
:lol Vinny testaverde overrated???  This is the guy who is sports take of the year guy right?
New Mexico St. AggiesAtlanta BravesDallas MavericksDallas Cowboys
الحياة على الشاطئ لكن ذلك الانفلات معي

Front Porch

• Rat bastard
  • -Security-
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 09:35:09 pm »
Over rated guys you could count.

Favre
Aikman
Eli could make this list right now.
Bradshaw as well. 
Flacco will be over rated

VicNocal

• NFL Pool Champ
  • -Member-
  • My brand > Your brand
    • vicnocal
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 09:52:21 pm »
I agree with you on Ken O'Brian.
Joe Theisnap is properly rated.  He's not in the Hall of Fame, and he doesn't belong.

I hate saying this because I like him, but Favre is overrated.  He has all the career NFL passing records (both good and bad) simply because of career longevity.  At no point was he ever close to setting a single season record, unless he gets credit for Strahan's season sack record.

Kid, you once again prove you're an idiot.

Favre won, what was it, like 3 straight MVPs?  He'd put up 39 TD, 13 INT type seasons back when those weren't commonplace like today.  And those are just stats.  Not to mention the "longevity" you mention and his consecutive games streak and playing through injuries - that is part of what made him great, moron.
California Golden BearsChicago BullsChicago Bears
Invariably this Wednesday when I go to Chic Fil A, the woman will ask if the money I left on the counter is mine, and I'll smile and say, "No its yours". - B.P. in Houston

Mike in Parma

• Glory, Glory
  • -Nutter-
  • Tottenham Hotspur
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 09:56:38 pm »
Bernie Kosar = Underrated IMO.

The main reason Cleveland mattered in the late 80s was because of him. Unfortunately got his head destroyed, but few QBs could read a game as well as him. And lets not forget the pivotal role he played for Dallas the year Aikman got hurt in the playoffs and he came in to secure a trip to the Super Bowl.

[/homer post]
Notre Dame Fighting IrishCleveland IndiansCleveland Browns
 Saluki_Love   "It's good to be loved. Especially anally."

Learjet89

• -Nutter-
  • -Fact Checker-
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 10:15:42 pm »
I said Favre is overrated, which is different from saying that he sucks.  He isn't in my top 5, which is where a lot of people have him.
Xavier MusketeersCincinnati RedsCincinnati Bengals

Front Porch

• Rat bastard
  • -Security-
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2015, 10:29:55 pm »

Kid, you once again prove you're an idiot.

Favre won, what was it, like 3 straight MVPs?  He'd put up 39 TD, 13 INT type seasons back when those weren't commonplace like today.  And those are just stats.  Not to mention the "longevity" you mention and his consecutive games streak and playing through injuries - that is part of what made him great, moron.

The problem for his career was Interceptions and he seems a guy as likely to throw you into a game as out of one.  Just too careless with the ball.  He followed up that 3 MVP run with 62 INTs over the next 3 seasons.  Just horrendous.

When he was on there wasn't anyone better but he had too many games where he cost his team games with dumb throws. 

However this does depend on where you rate someone to determine over or under rated. 

Saluki

• I'd never join a club that would have me as a
  • -Nutter-
  • I've made a huge mistake
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2015, 11:14:54 pm »
Over rated guys you could count.

Favre
Aikman
Eli could make this list right now.
Bradshaw as well. 
Flacco will be over rated

Bussie doesn't deserve to be in the Hall of Fame and Bradshaw is overrated. I recommend you shit on Noll and The Chief next. Maybe being a Steelers fan isn't for you.
Southern Illinois SalukisPittsburgh PiratesChicago BullsPittsburgh SteelersPittsburgh Penguins
I'm more muscular than you /s/ Tudo

Front Porch

• Rat bastard
  • -Security-
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2015, 11:17:44 pm »
Oh Boo Hoo, sorry I can be objective and honest.

PopsGeez

• best poster on stucknut
  • -Member-
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2015, 11:19:08 pm »
over rated:

tom brady
tony romo

VicNocal

• NFL Pool Champ
  • -Member-
  • My brand > Your brand
    • vicnocal
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2015, 02:22:33 am »
I said Favre is overrated, which is different from saying that he sucks.  He isn't in my top 5, which is where a lot of people have him.

Fair enough, but I disagree that his alltime records are just because he played a long time - he was a regular 4000-yard 30-TD type guy.   
Invariably this Wednesday when I go to Chic Fil A, the woman will ask if the money I left on the counter is mine, and I'll smile and say, "No its yours". - B.P. in Houston

VicNocal

• NFL Pool Champ
  • -Member-
  • My brand > Your brand
    • vicnocal
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2015, 02:23:00 am »
Bernie Kosar = Underrated IMO.

The main reason Cleveland mattered in the late 80s was because of him. Unfortunately got his head destroyed, but few QBs could read a game as well as him. And lets not forget the pivotal role he played for Dallas the year Aikman got hurt in the playoffs and he came in to secure a trip to the Super Bowl.

[/homer post]

Would you say Bernie had IT?

Rob in VB

• Masticater
  • Mod
  • Zamboni Pilot
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2015, 08:21:08 am »
Oh Boo Hoo, sorry I can be objective and honest.

or knowledgeable  :koolaid
Georgetown HoyasNew York MetsNew York KnicksDallas CowboysWashington Capitals

Stab

• Morally Flexible
  • -Nutter-
  • Flat Sun Denier
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2015, 08:23:13 am »
Tebow was pretty underrated.

Remember that one game?
Wisconsin BadgersMilwaukee BrewersMilwaukee BucksGreen Bay Packers
Not the worst. Not even close.