Author Topic: Low-wage employers cost taxpayers $153B a year  (Read 595 times)

John in Nashville

• 16 in the clip and one in the hole.
  • -Nutter-
  • Georgetown Sucks!
Low-wage employers cost taxpayers $153B a year
« on: April 15, 2015, 05:14:34 pm »
Wow sure glad I pay more in taxes so Wal-Mart can show bigger profits...  :uhh

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/how-low-wage-employers-cost-taxpayers-153-billion-a-year/

Just make the dam min wage something that's at least above the poverty limit and peg it to infaltion.
Syracuse OrangeNew York YankeesNew York KnicksNew York GiantsNashville Predators

Dog

• -Nutter-
  • The Anti-Nutter
Re: Low-wage employers cost taxpayers $153B a year
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 05:22:46 pm »
liberal news media bullshit bias data
Boise St. BroncosChicago CubsBoston CelticsMiami Dolphins

need_boost

• Never Fourget Fourloko
  • -Nutter-
  • You are shitty. Turd told me so
    • @need_boost
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 05:23:54 pm »
we can't all drive lambos Bro
Texas-El Paso MinersDetroit TigersDetroit PistonsSan Francisco 49ersDetroit Red Wings
One man's trash is another man's daughter

Front Porch

• Rat bastard
  • -Security-
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 06:25:15 pm »
Wow sure glad I pay more in taxes so Wal-Mart can show bigger profits...  :uhh

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/how-low-wage-employers-cost-taxpayers-153-billion-a-year/

Just make the dam min wage something that's at least above the poverty limit and peg it to infaltion.

1. You are going to pay for this either way whether through taxes or higher prices.
2. Minimum wage is over the poverty limit for a minimum family.  https://www.healthcare.gov/glossary/federal-poverty-level-FPL/  (7*52*40=$14,560 which is greater than $11,770)
3.  If you raise the min. wage I bet Wal-Marts profits go up, not down.
4.  #1 is a lie, there will be no reduction in taxes but you will pay more. So you will continue to pay the Government $153B a year and you can pay the retailers an $153B next year to account for the raises.

Snakeeyes

• Fair & Balanced.
  • -Nutter-
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2015, 06:27:12 pm »

Can we all have tits like the chick in Dog's sig??   :banana
Colorado St. RamsColorado RockiesDenver NuggetsBuffalo BillsBuffalo Sabres
"I took all the same classes as you at a much bigger D1 school."  :lol

John in Nashville

• -Nutter-
  • Georgetown Sucks!
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2015, 07:57:27 pm »
1. You are going to pay for this either way whether through taxes or higher prices.
2. Minimum wage is over the poverty limit for a minimum family.  https://www.healthcare.gov/glossary/federal-poverty-level-FPL/  (7*52*40=$14,560 which is greater than $11,770)
4.  #1 is a lie, there will be no reduction in taxes but you will pay more. So you will continue to pay the Government $153B a year and you can pay the retailers an $153B next year to account for the raises.

I don't nessisarly agree with #1 lots of people claim that but there is no evidence it's true. However, let's assume it is true I'd rather these places raise prices. I can control where I shop and how much I spend. I have little control over the amount of taxes I pay.

To point 2 ok so make the min enough for people to get by in without needing public assistance. $15k is not enough for even a single person to live off of in most places. I would say somewhere around $25-30k.

I don't really care if Wal-Mart or McDonalds profits go up or down. I just think they shouldn't be subsidized by taxpayers.
Syracuse OrangeNew York YankeesNew York KnicksNew York GiantsNashville Predators

frankinhouston

• -Member-
    • @harryhooper8
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2015, 08:05:36 pm »
liberal news media bullshit bias data

asshole

f
Texas A&M AggiesHouston AstrosHouston RocketsHouston Texans

frankinhouston

• -Member-
    • @harryhooper8
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2015, 08:06:01 pm »

asshole,

f

frankinhouston

• -Member-
    • @harryhooper8
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2015, 08:06:43 pm »

lotta gibberish, yet asshole

f

Dog

• -Nutter-
  • The Anti-Nutter
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2015, 09:26:00 pm »
Dash f,
Go fvck yourself. They obviously don't teach sarcasm in English as a Second Language class.
Boise St. BroncosChicago CubsBoston CelticsMiami Dolphins

Front Porch

• Rat bastard
  • -Security-
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2015, 09:28:27 pm »
I don't nessisarly agree with #1 lots of people claim that but there is no evidence it's true. However, let's assume it is true I'd rather these places raise prices. I can control where I shop and how much I spend. I have little control over the amount of taxes I pay.

To point 2 ok so make the min enough for people to get by in without needing public assistance. $15k is not enough for even a single person to live off of in most places. I would say somewhere around $25-30k.

I don't really care if Wal-Mart or McDonalds profits go up or down. I just think they shouldn't be subsidized by taxpayers.

I am not sure how you don't believe #1 is true.  As a business owner if your costs up what are you going to do?  You will raise costs to account for this. 

Also I like this image of I can control how and where I spend it as you have to figure it will impact everything you buy so you will just get the same stuff only spend more money.

Meanwhile the Government isn't getting rid of welfare just because people are getting paid the more.

Finally i like the Government is subsidizing these businesses take.  Businesses are giving jobs and opportunities to people with no job skills that otherwise would be on welfare.  It is not like they are taking skilled workers and screwing their pay.  My understanding is the Government is responsible for people, not businesses. 

John in Nashville

• -Nutter-
  • Georgetown Sucks!
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2015, 10:24:21 pm »
I'll write a full response tomorrow when I'm not on my phone but generally you are assuming inelastic demand. And that labor is the primary factor in determining prices. Both of this points I would disagree with.

Front Porch

• Rat bastard
  • -Security-
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2015, 11:32:49 pm »
Somewhat but the reverse becomes true.

If demand drops then jobs are lost.  If jobs are lost then you are still paying taxes to support them.  Carry this forward to the billions of dollars spent for these people.  What happens to those Government jobs, do they stop as well.

Labor is a primary factor, obviously it is not the only factor so I don't expect prices to double because labor doubles.  However a 10% raise in prices adds up very quickly. 

Here is what I know.  If I owned a business and saw my prices go up whether for the labor, rent or whatever this cost will be passed along.  If I can't pass along this cost then it maybe time to question whether my business can survive which means closing.   

In short you can see the worker pricing themselves out of jobs and facing higher costs to buy products.  Seems like a bad plan to me.

Rob in VB

• Masticater
  • -Nutter-
  • Zamboni Pilot
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2015, 08:33:32 am »
My take on this thread:  Economics is an inexact science.  Frank is a boob.  How did I do?
Georgetown HoyasNew York MetsNew York KnicksDallas CowboysWashington Capitals

Saluki

• I'd never join a club that would have me as a
  • -Nutter-
  • I've made a huge mistake
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2015, 09:21:12 am »
My take on this thread:  Economics is an inexact science.  Frank is a boob.  How did I do?

Yes, yes, and you did well
Southern Illinois SalukisPittsburgh PiratesChicago BullsPittsburgh SteelersPittsburgh Penguins
I'm more muscular than you /s/ Tudo