Author Topic: Getting paid more than Crane operators and Medical Technicians...  (Read 2434 times)

testudo

• Stucknut historian (y'all don't want this)
  • -Nutter-
  • Amberlamp Driver

Dear fast food workers,

I’m not insulting you, but when you claim you ought to be able to stroll into Hardee’s and be immediately rewarded with a salary higher than crane operators and medical lab technicians, someone needs to talk some sense into you.

It’s come to my attention that many of you, supposedly in 230 cities across the country, are walking out of your jobs today and protesting for $15 an hour. You earnestly believe — indeed, you’ve been led to this conclusion by pandering politicians and liberal pundits who possess neither the slightest grasp of the basic rules of economics nor even the faintest hint of integrity — that your entry level gig pushing buttons on a cash register at Taco Bell ought to earn you double the current federal minimum wage.

I’m aware, of course, that not all of you feel this way. Many of you might consider your position as Whopper Assembler to be rather a temporary situation, not a career path, and you plan on moving on and up not by holding a poster board with “Give me more money!” scrawled across it, but by working hard and being reliable. To be clear, I am not addressing the folks in this latter camp. They are doing what needs to be done, and I respect that.

Instead, I want to talk to those of you who actually consider yourselves entitled to close to a $29 thousand a year full time salary for doing a job that requires no skill, no expertise, and no education; those who think a fry cook ought to earn an entry level income similar to a dental assistant; those who insist the guy putting the lettuce on my Big Mac ought to make more than the Emergency Medical Technician who saves lives for a living; those who believe you should automatically be able to “live comfortably,” as if “comfort” is a human right.

http://www.theblaze.com/contributions/fast-food-workers-you-dont-deserve-15-an-hour-to-flip-burgers-and-thats-ok/

« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 09:16:48 am by testudo »
Maryland TerrapinsBaltimore OriolesWashington WizardsBaltimore RavensWashington Capitals

John in Nashville

• 16 in the clip and one in the hole.
  • -Nutter-
  • Georgetown Sucks!
Re: Getting paid more than Crane operators and Medical Technicians...
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 09:24:50 am »
I'll just beat snake to the chase :lol the blaze
Syracuse OrangeNew York YankeesNew York KnicksNew York GiantsNashville Predators

testudo

• -Nutter-
  • Amberlamp Driver
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 09:26:23 am »
:lol  snake discrediting  "I’m not insulting you, but when you claim you ought to be able to stroll into Hardee’s and be immediately rewarded with a salary higher than crane operators and medical lab technicians, someone needs to talk some sense into you."  because of the source.. :lol
Maryland TerrapinsBaltimore OriolesWashington WizardsBaltimore RavensWashington Capitals

testudo

• -Nutter-
  • Amberlamp Driver
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 09:55:26 am »
:lol  Fast food workers getting paid more than ice road truckers.   

Moodell

• International Brotherhood of Geniuses Local 163
  • -Nutter-
  • "Life is too serious to be taken seriously."
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 11:26:18 am »
$15.00/hr to contribute to the clogging of arteries.  :lol
Ohio St. BuckeyesCleveland IndiansCleveland CavaliersIndianapolis ColtsColumbus Blue Jackets
Progressives gnaw away at the pillars of our society as if they were  termites chewing on wood.

Dog

• -Nutter-
  • The Anti-Nutter
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 12:42:36 pm »
These people are clueless.  Obama, in a State of the Union address was promoting a $10.10 minimum wage.  Perhaps had they just gotten aboard with that amount, rather than seeking a $15/hr wage, they could have had some movement.

Personally, I think the $7.25/hr minimum wage is pathetically low.  It hasn't been adjusted in quite a while, and it is time for an increase.

$15/hr is way too fvcking high.   
Boise St. BroncosChicago CubsBoston CelticsMiami Dolphins

Justin NoCal

• Dickpuss Penegor, PhD.
  • -Nutter-
  • leave the gun, take the cannolis
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2015, 12:47:53 pm »
These people are clueless.  Obama, in a State of the Union address was promoting a $10.10 minimum wage.  Perhaps had they just gotten aboard with that amount, rather than seeking a $15/hr wage, they could have had some movement.

Personally, I think the $7.25/hr minimum wage is pathetically low.  It hasn't been adjusted in quite a while, and it is time for an increase.

$15/hr is way too fvcking high.

Rack. Who said the right and left couldn't agree on anything?  :koolaid
California Golden BearsSan Francisco GiantsSacramento KingsWashington Redskins
Elevate, excavate, eliminate.

Saluki

• I'd never join a club that would have me as a
  • -Nutter-
  • I've made a huge mistake
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2015, 12:57:50 pm »
Adjusted for inflation, I believe the minimum wage should be somewhere around $10.21/hr in 2012 dollars.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 12:59:21 pm by Saluki »
Southern Illinois SalukisPittsburgh PiratesChicago BullsPittsburgh SteelersPittsburgh Penguins
I'm more muscular than you /s/ Tudo

Saluki

• I'd never join a club that would have me as a
  • -Nutter-
  • I've made a huge mistake
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2015, 12:58:34 pm »
Oh, and I bet union crane operators make a shit ton more than $15/hr., but, you know, union dum bad.
Southern Illinois SalukisPittsburgh PiratesChicago BullsPittsburgh SteelersPittsburgh Penguins
I'm more muscular than you /s/ Tudo

Justin NoCal

• Dickpuss Penegor, PhD.
  • -Nutter-
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2015, 01:02:24 pm »
Oh, and I bet union crane operators make a shit ton more than $15/hr., but, you know, union dum bad.

My cousin is a heavy equip operator. Started out at 26/hr with his training paid for by the company. They work crazy hours and even get a lot of OT.

$10.21 sounds reasonable. It's probably not going to have you buying a home or even a decent car but it's getting your foot in the door to start making responsible monetary choices. Getting handed 30k/yr  for entry level work isn't helping anyone on either spectrum of a business.

Learjet89

• -Nutter-
  • -Fact Checker-
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2015, 01:03:36 pm »
Nothing says that you have to stay at the job paying 7.25 an hour.  The temp agency I worked through in college always paid at least 2.50 an hour over the minimum, and no skills were required to start with them.

If a business owner wants to raise starting wages to $10 an hour, good for them, but I am opposed to the government forcing it.
Xavier MusketeersCincinnati RedsCincinnati Bengals

Spanky

• -Security-
  • Has 2008 racks more than this
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2015, 01:19:57 pm »
EMTS here start around 17 an hour or so. After a couple years and more certifications that shoots up to around 25 though, and continues to rise as you put in time/experience.

I'm sure a shittier market like Muncie, Indiana would probably start EMTs lower than 15 though.
Nebraska CornhuskersNew York YankeesNew York JetsMontreal Canadiens

Justin NoCal

• Dickpuss Penegor, PhD.
  • -Nutter-
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2015, 02:08:37 pm »
If a business owner wants to raise starting wages to $10 an hour, good for them, but I am opposed to the government forcing it.
BLARGH BUT THEN ALL THE RICH CEOs WOULD MAKE PEOPLE WORK FOR FREE!

John in Nashville

• 16 in the clip and one in the hole.
  • -Nutter-
  • Georgetown Sucks!
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2015, 03:11:53 pm »
I would agree that somewhere in the $10-11 range would be fair. Plus put in an annual CPI increase. 
Syracuse OrangeNew York YankeesNew York KnicksNew York GiantsNashville Predators

testudo

• -Nutter-
  • Amberlamp Driver
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2015, 03:17:05 pm »
It's not really that fair if you are already making that much.