Author Topic: Fireside Chat with Underpriviledged Americans  (Read 900 times)

Hedstrom

• -Nutter-
  • Born and Raised in South Detroit
    • hedstrombacon
    • @hedstrombacon
Fireside Chat with Underpriviledged Americans
« on: May 09, 2015, 09:52:00 am »
I'd love to sit down with people from a poor American neighbo(u)rhood, who were born and raised in the United States....pick one....any one and ask them point blank:

"What do you want to accomplish in life?"
"What are the obstacles preventing you from reaching that goal?"
"What do you need in order to accomplish that goal?"
"How long do you think it should take for you to accomplish that goal?"
"Are you willing to put forth the effort to better your life?"

I would then like to ask poor, recently immigrated people the same questions and compare the responses.

My point? Give an immigrant the same present opportunities that Americans have today and see what happens? My bet is that the immigrants will be more willing to put forth the effort to reach financial stability than the born and raised Americans.
Miami DolphinsCalgary Flames

Snakeeyes

• Fair & Balanced.
  • -Nutter-
Re: Fireside Chat with Underpriviledged Americans
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 10:05:27 am »
As a general rule foreigners do, and always have, worked harder than Americans.  Pretty much all European exchange students are put in all AP classes, because that's the rigor they are used to.  So what?  Is this your way of convincing yourself that people who live in poverty are somehow there because they want to be?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 10:10:26 am by Snakeeyes »
Colorado St. RamsColorado RockiesDenver NuggetsBuffalo BillsBuffalo Sabres
"I took all the same classes as you at a much bigger D1 school."  :lol

Beavis in KC

• -Nutter-
  • What the fvck are you looking at?
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2015, 10:35:50 am »
Immigrants of all Nationalities (Korean, Cuban, Mexican, Irish, Italian, Indian, etc.) came to this country with a strong work ethic and a sense of the importance of family.  They banded together, built communities, and became successful without government assistance.

Many (not all) American poor have a sense of entitlement.  'What more can the government do for me?'  The American family has become a shambles because the government has become the breadwinner and there is no reason to keep a father around.  The Great Society policies, after trillions of dollars expended, have failed.  The poverty rate today is basically unchanged from 1964 and these programs have instead created generations of Americans who are trapped by their dependence on government assistance.  I have attempted to keep this as apolitical as possible and I know I will be criticized for saying this but with the percentage of Americans on government assistance the highest that it has ever been (49.2% according to Census figures) the Democratic Party has built an almost unbeatable constituency.

I don't believe that poor people are poor because they want to be.  I do believe, however, that there are a lot of poor people that are poor because it is easy.  The human being is not any different than any other species.  If they do not have to work for what they need then they won't.

Kansas St. WildcatsKansas City RoyalsGolden State WarriorsKansas City ChiefsDetroit Red Wings
2016 Stucknut Member of the Year

Snakeeyes

• Fair & Balanced.
  • -Nutter-
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2015, 10:42:36 am »
I don't believe that poor people are poor because they want to be.  I do believe, however, that there are a lot of poor people that are poor because it is easy.  The human being is not any different than any other species.  If they do not have to work for what they need then they won't.

I can agree with this.  However, I would add that that are also a lot of poor people because getting out of poverty when you have been hit with a family crisis is also not easy.  And there are a lot of people in that boat as well.

Learjet89

• -Nutter-
  • -Fact Checker-
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2015, 10:49:16 am »
But a family crisis doesn't explain multiple generations of government dependence.
Xavier MusketeersCincinnati RedsCincinnati Bengals

Snakeeyes

• Fair & Balanced.
  • -Nutter-
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2015, 10:52:41 am »
It might if the crisis was that my grandfather lost his job, got cancer, and went bankrupt during the Great Depression.

VicNocal

• NFL Pool Champ
  • -Member-
  • My brand > Your brand
    • vicnocal
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2015, 11:42:26 am »
It might if the crisis was that my grandfather lost his job, got cancer, and went bankrupt during the Great Depression.

:lol

"I be fifteen years ol' and I let Ja'maal get me pregnant while I be a sophomore in hi schoo all bcuz my granddaddy went broke in the Great...in the Great....(in the Great what?...[Snakeeyes answers her])  oh yeah, in them Great Depressive."
California Golden BearsChicago BullsChicago Bears
Invariably this Wednesday when I go to Chic Fil A, the woman will ask if the money I left on the counter is mine, and I'll smile and say, "No its yours". - B.P. in Houston

Snakeeyes

• Fair & Balanced.
  • -Nutter-
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2015, 11:44:07 am »
:lol vIQ and his folksy racism.

Hedstrom

• -Nutter-
    • hedstrombacon
    • @hedstrombacon
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2015, 12:26:50 pm »
As a general rule foreigners do, and always have, worked harder than Americans.  Pretty much all European exchange students are put in all AP classes, because that's the rigor they are used to.  So what?  Is this your way of convincing yourself that people who live in poverty are somehow there because they want to be?

I don't have to convince myself of anything but, as usual, you've immediately gone on the "assumption" offensive.

Let me make this as straight forward as I can. Would you agree that the number of families living in poverty in the United States would drop if some of those people put forth more effort?

Snakeeyes

• Fair & Balanced.
  • -Nutter-
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2015, 02:18:35 pm »
I don't have to convince myself of anything but, as usual, you've immediately gone on the "assumption" offensive.

Let me make this as straight forward as I can. Would you agree that the number of families living in poverty in the United States would drop if some of those people put forth more effort?

Of course.  And the number of women who get raped on dates in the US would go down if they all had their legs sewn together beforehand as well.   So what?

JohnPaul

• -Member-
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2015, 05:22:55 pm »
However, I would add that that are also a lot of poor people because getting out of poverty when you have been hit with a family crisis is also not EASY . And there are a lot of people in that boat as well.
Snakes ilk always looking for the EASY  way out  :lol
Family crisis usually brings people together and they get up when they've been knocked down. Its not EASY !!

PLEASE EASY-EYES , FOR THE SAKE OF "YOUR KIDS" WHO HATE YOU   :lol ....

DROP THE fvckING CHALK !!

Hedstrom

• -Nutter-
    • hedstrombacon
    • @hedstrombacon
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2015, 06:08:52 pm »
Of course.  And the number of women who get raped on dates in the US would go down if they all had their legs sewn together beforehand as well.   So what?

But you'd rather they just rely on government handouts...got it. Thanks for your input.

testudo

• Stucknut historian (y'all don't want this)
  • -Nutter-
  • Amberlamp Driver
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2015, 06:09:46 pm »

Foreignors do NOT work harder than Americans.

Stupidest thing ever.   Even Shit Press CNN puts the US at #5 out of the hardest working countries.

There's a couple or 10 European countries that have  statutory minimum vacation days,  some as high as 30 days per year.   Paid vacation.   They visit the beaches.   The local businesses describe them as "Americans without money."

Snake,  just because you do jack shit.   Doesn't mean the rest of this country does jack shit.   

You couldn't fathom the level of effort it takes to keep a piece of shit like you breathing on a daily basis.
Maryland TerrapinsBaltimore OriolesWashington WizardsBaltimore RavensWashington Capitals

frankinhouston

• -Member-
    • @harryhooper8
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2015, 06:40:09 pm »
if racism doesn't exist in the US any more, then i'll eat my hat. that being said, when a racial segment of our population has been given the "easy road" then who wouldn't take it. DON'T SAY YOU WOULDN'T, YOU HAVEN'T LIVED THAT LIFE. point being, a concerted effort needs to be made to teach young black males the way to achieve financial success. they've been abandoned and still are today. pull all of your heads out of you asses and admit it. IT'S NOT AS EASY AS IT SEEMS.

Texas A&M AggiesHouston AstrosHouston RocketsHouston Texans

testudo

• Stucknut historian (y'all don't want this)
  • -Nutter-
  • Amberlamp Driver
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2015, 07:25:24 pm »
if racism doesn't exist in the US any more, then i'll eat my hat. that being said, when a racial segment of our population has been given the "easy road" then who wouldn't take it. DON'T SAY YOU WOULDN'T, YOU HAVEN'T LIVED THAT LIFE. point being, a concerted effort needs to be made to teach young black males the way to achieve financial success. they've been abandoned and still are today. pull all of your heads out of you asses and admit it. IT'S NOT AS EASY AS IT SEEMS.

f

Define Racism.
Maryland TerrapinsBaltimore OriolesWashington WizardsBaltimore RavensWashington Capitals