Author Topic: Sports Illustrated article on the Jim Rome Show from 1996  (Read 9478 times)

Steve in HTown

• -Admin-
    • stucknut
Sports Illustrated article on the Jim Rome Show from 1996
« on: July 09, 2015, 01:39:14 pm »
Calls Of The Wild In The Cutthroat World Of Sports Talk Radio, The Voices That Are Heard These Days Are Increasingly Savage

September 1996

http://www.si.com/vault/1996/09/16/217378/calls-of-the-wild-in-the-cutthroat-world-of-sports-talk-radio-the-voices-that-are-heard-these-days-are-increasingly-savage

Texas LonghornsHouston AstrosHouston RocketsCleveland Browns

Steve in HTown

• -Admin-
    • stucknut
Re: Sports Illustrated article on the Jim Rome Show from 1996
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 01:39:58 pm »
I don't have a take on this article, just posting in case any of you are interested.

PopsGeez

• best poster on stucknut
  • -Member-
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 02:23:44 pm »
Rome's name should've been on the cover

VicNocal

• NFL Pool Champ
  • -Member-
  • My brand > Your brand
    • vicnocal
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 03:07:38 pm »
Wow, that Mayor of Poway guy sounds really pathetic.
California Golden BearsChicago BullsChicago Bears
Invariably this Wednesday when I go to Chic Fil A, the woman will ask if the money I left on the counter is mine, and I'll smile and say, "No its yours". - B.P. in Houston

Bill_in_Phoenix

• -Member-
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 07:07:52 pm »
Butterknife insulted plenty of people when he was on the 620 Sportsline in Phoenix.  He got fired by KTAR, then moved to SD.  He's probably more of an a-hole than Rome, and twice as vindictive.

Was this written before the Rome vs. Kornholser pillow fight?
Western Michigan BroncosSt. Louis CardinalsPhoenix SunsSt Louis Blues
Get off my lawn

Norman in Norman

• RIP Mike in Sandy Eggo
  • -Nutter-
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 09:17:53 pm »
Butterknife insulted plenty of people when he was on the 620 Sportsline in Phoenix.  He got fired by KTAR, then moved to SD.  He's probably more of an a-hole than Rome, and twice as vindictive.

Was this written before the Rome vs. Kornholser pillow fight?
Cool story bro.
Oklahoma SoonersSt. Louis CardinalsOklahoma City ThunderHouston Texans
Mohrrior

time to die

• -Member-
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 01:10:20 pm »
The upside of sports talk radio, according to format veteran Lee
(Hacksaw) Hamilton of XTRA in San Diego: "It's dynamic; stories
change every hour." The downside? "At times it becomes too
tabloid," Hacksaw laments. "Too many cheap shots taken." Such as
when Hacksaw's detractors refer to him as the Butterknife. Or
when Hacksaw, during his tenure with a Phoenix radio station in
the mid-'80s, said of a local female sports anchor, "She oughtta
be in my kitchen doing the dishes, not on my TV."

Wow, so Hacksaw is a real person?  I thought when Hacksaw called during the self gloss segment it was an actually suicide caller looking to troll.  When Rome called him butterknife I thought it was just his quick wit but to find out Hacksaw has a back story it makes him 'hacking Rome up a little' seem more personal.

wabashcr

• -Member-
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015, 01:55:40 pm »
Thanks for posting.  I remember reading this back in the day.  I still listen to Rome most days, but reading this is just another reminder of how today's show is barely a poor facsimile of the Jungle in its heyday.  I'm no longer upset or bitter, and have learned to enjoy the show in its current format.  It still has plenty of entertaining moments and solid interviews.  But damn, this show was so great back in the 90s and early 00s.  You didn't ever want to miss a show back then.  It was like being part of a cult, and it was incredible.  The whole culture, the biggest topic in the Jungle being the Jungle, the border wars, the unique personalities among the regular callers... I miss those days.

Steve in HTown

• -Admin-
    • stucknut
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2015, 02:29:58 pm »
right on, wabashcr  :koolaid

VicNocal

• NFL Pool Champ
  • -Member-
  • My brand > Your brand
    • vicnocal
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 03:11:02 pm »
Thanks for posting.  I remember reading this back in the day.  I still listen to Rome most days, but reading this is just another reminder of how today's show is barely a poor facsimile of the Jungle in its heyday.  I'm no longer upset or bitter, and have learned to enjoy the show in its current format.  It still has plenty of entertaining moments and solid interviews.  But damn, this show was so great back in the 90s and early 00s.  You didn't ever want to miss a show back then.  It was like being part of a cult, and it was incredible.  The whole culture, the biggest topic in the Jungle being the Jungle, the border wars, the unique personalities among the regular callers... I miss those days.

That's a bingo.
California Golden BearsChicago BullsChicago Bears
Invariably this Wednesday when I go to Chic Fil A, the woman will ask if the money I left on the counter is mine, and I'll smile and say, "No its yours". - B.P. in Houston

BlaiseinKC

• -Jungle Twitter Posse-
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2015, 04:12:43 pm »

I used to go out and eat my lunch in the car, just so I could listen.  It was so different.

wabashcr

• -Member-
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2015, 12:50:20 pm »
I used to go out and eat my lunch in the car, just so I could listen.  It was so different.

Yep.  We had a bar in Indy (Chalkies) that was an official "Rome Room."  We'd go there for lunch on Fridays and they'd play the show over the speakers.  I remember occasionally someone would call or fax claiming to be at their city's Rome Room.  There's no way that would happen today.  His show may be more popular in terms of a wider audience now.  But there's nothing even close to the rabid enthusiasm clones had for the Jungle back in the day. 

iambthewalrus

• -Jungle Twitter Posse-
    • iambthewalrus
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2015, 11:42:14 pm »
I try to be humble anyway, but this thread (and a few others) puts things into perspective for a relatively new Clone like myself. I wish I was around in the old days. The stuff that Steve has been posting lately is great.
Milwaukee BrewersChicago BullsGreen Bay PackersChicago Blackhawks

Steve in HTown

• -Admin-
    • stucknut
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2015, 08:19:06 am »
The stuff that Steve has been posting lately forever is great.

fixed

DrewInDTLA

• -Jungle Twitter Posse-
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2015, 01:22:27 pm »
Thanks for all the content Steve