Author Topic: Fair Workweek Act  (Read 873 times)

Front Porch

• Rat bastard
  • -Security-
Fair Workweek Act
« on: August 04, 2015, 03:22:20 pm »
Below is a list of the proposals that is being sponsored in a new ordinance  by some city councilors in Albuquerque.    Needless to say the business community does not like this.  Do the proposals make sense? 

Feel free to discuss.

Advance Notice of Work Schedules
•   Employer must provide employee an estimate of the number of hours, days and times the employee is expected to work each week.
•   Must give each employee his work schedule in writing at least 21 days prior to the first day of that work schedule.
•   Must post 21 days in advance of the start of each week a written schedule that includes the shifts all current employees at that worksite, whether or not they are scheduled to work or be on call that week.
•   An employee’s work schedule must begin on the same of the week each week, unless the employer provides 21 days advance written notice of a change in the start day of the work schedule.
•   Employer may not require an employee to find a replacement to cover any hours during which an employee is unable to work a scheduled shift.

Compensation for Changed Shifts
•   1 hour of predictability pay must be paid, in addition to wages earned, for each shift that an employer alters a scheduled shift.
•   Employer must pay the employee a minimum of 4 hours or the number of hours in the employee’s scheduled shift, whichever is less, if the employee is notified less than 24 hours before a shift that the employee does not need to report to work or that the hours in the shift have been reduced.

Right to Request Flexible Working Arrangement
•   An employee has a right, once in each calendar quarter, to request a flexible working arrangement.
•   Unless the employer has a bona fide business reason not to grant the employee’s request for a flexible working arrangement, the request must be granted if it is based on the employee’s
1. serious health condition
2. caregiving responsibilities for a family member; or
3. participation in a career-related educational/training program

Right to Rest
•   Employee has the right to decline work hours that occur less than 11 hours after the end of the previous day’s shift, or during the 11 hours following the end of a shift that spanned 2 days.
•   An employee has the right to decline to work more than 55 hours during any 7-day period, or more than 6 consecutive days.

Secret-Ballot Election
•   Employees can hold a secret-ballot election by at least two-thirds vote to adopt an alternative workweek schedule of up to four 10 hour shifts or three 12 hour shifts.

Retention Pay
•   Employers must pay idle employees $150 every two weeks to keep them on the payroll when there is no work.
•   Retention pay will increase on January 1, 2017 and each year thereafter.

Offer of Work to Existing Employees
•   An employer must offer additional hours of work to existing employees before hiring additional employees or subcontractors.

This bill would apply to ALL employees
•   “Employees” are those who work for a given employer for at least 56 hours in a year).
•   “Employee” includes seasonal or temporary workers.

Paid Sick Time
•   All employees will accrue a minimum of 1 hour paid sick time for every 30 hours worked, up to 56 hours per year.
•   Paid sick time will be carried over to the following year.
•   Paid sick time includes care of family member with illness, those seeking relocation due to domestic/sexual violence and stalking, etc.

Dog

• -Nutter-
  • The Anti-Nutter
Re: Fair Workweek Act
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 03:45:50 pm »
Seems a little overkill to me.
Boise St. BroncosChicago CubsBoston CelticsMiami Dolphins

Beavis in KC

• -Nutter-
  • What the fvck are you looking at?
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 03:46:47 pm »
Employees voting for shit.

:lol
Kansas St. WildcatsKansas City RoyalsGolden State WarriorsKansas City ChiefsDetroit Red Wings
2016 Stucknut Member of the Year

Front Porch

• Rat bastard
  • -Security-
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 04:11:50 pm »
Yeah the voting thing seemed odd. 

This is from a paper I have seen opposing the ordnance and providing talking points. 

•   A 2013 Reason-Rupe poll found that Americans think the average profit margin for companies, after taxes, was 36 percent. In contrast, the University of Michigan’s Mark J. Perry wrote, "the average profit margin for the most recent quarter was 7.5% and the median profit margin was 6.5% ... . Interestingly, there wasn't a single industry out of 212 that had a profit margin as high as 36% in the most recent quarter.”

In many ways this is amazing to me.  I know our profit margin is considered great if we get to 10%.  Do people really believe that companies are making 36% profit?

Front Porch

• Rat bastard
  • -Security-
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 04:15:15 pm »
Finally two comparisons of City's that have passed similar but less comprehensive laws. 

San Francisco

Following passage of San Francisco’s paid leave mandate, a survey of employees in the city by the Institute for Women’s Policy Research – a group supportive of the mandate – found that nearly 30 percent of the lowest-wage employees reported layoffs or reduced hours at their place of work. A separate survey by the Urban Institute found that some city employers had scaled back on employee bonuses, vacation time, and part-time help to adapt to the law’s costs.

Seattle

In September 2012, Seattle became the fourth U.S. city to require employers to provide paid leave to their employees as a condition of doing business in the city. Of the 301 service-industry businesses surveyed, 191 of them—or nearly two-thirds—had started providing paid sick leave to comply with the law. Another 67 businesses already provided the benefit. (Note that the law in Seattle exempts businesses with fewer than five employees.)

Survey results suggest that issues of sickness are overstated by activists/supporters. Among businesses that started providing leave, 83 percent—or more than 8 in 10 businesses—said that sickness in the workplace was “not serious at all” prior to the law taking effect. Just 10 percent described it as a serious problem.

Two thirds of those who started providing paid leave said that they did not anticipate the law would reduce turnover in their workplace. One-third of surveyed Seattle businesses also anticipated that the law would increase unscheduled absences in the workplace that may not be connected to an illness.

Among those service-industry businesses that started providing leave to comply with the law, roughly 56 percent said it would increase their cost of doing business in Seattle. More than one in four said it would cause a big increase in their business costs.

15.7 percent of employers raised prices in response to the new law. • 18.3 percent of employers reduced hours and staff in response to the new law. • 17.3 percent of employers either increased the cost to employees of their current benefits, or eliminated the benefits they used to offer.

Justin NoCal

• Dickpuss Penegor, PhD.
  • -Nutter-
  • leave the gun, take the cannolis
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 04:20:05 pm »
:lol I read all of that shit while sitting here at work
California Golden BearsSan Francisco GiantsSacramento KingsWashington Redskins
Elevate, excavate, eliminate.

Learjet89

• -Nutter-
  • -Fact Checker-
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 04:38:26 pm »
The government is muscling out organized labor
Xavier MusketeersCincinnati RedsCincinnati Bengals

testudo

• Stucknut historian (y'all don't want this)
  • -Nutter-
  • Amberlamp Driver
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 05:09:03 pm »

That guy that Socialized his Company making 'minimum wage' 70K per year..  everyone in his company paid 70K annual. 

Yeah.. He's going out of business...

The better employees are kwitting because they are tired of getting compensated the same as the poor performing employees....

And yes, he' s losing business because his customers think he's an idiot.

:lol   

Maryland TerrapinsBaltimore OriolesWashington WizardsBaltimore RavensWashington Capitals

VicNocal

• NFL Pool Champ
  • -Member-
  • My brand > Your brand
    • vicnocal
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2015, 06:52:19 pm »
Say it with me now fellas......ATLAS SHRUGGED.

The misperception as far as profit margins explains the people who think a McDonald's counter worker "deserves" to be paid $15/hr.  They think fat cat Mr McDonald up there in his penthouse apartment in Manhattan is taking 35 cents out of every dollar that comes in and giving just 5 cents to the worker, so they say "Greedy 1-percenter Mr McDonald, why don't you instead take just 30 cents out of every dollar for yourself, and give 10 cents to the worker instead of just 5?  That will still leave you with 30 cents for you to be a greedy 1-percenter, while at least being more fair to the worker who's working so hard."

These people have no notion of what running a complex business is like, and I'm guessing they don't know about a whole host of other things on which they chime in - such as the complexities of being an NFL head coach, the complexities of directing a big budget movie, the complexities of being an elected official, etc etc.  No, these are just people who throw tomatoes from the comfort and mediocrity of their couches.
California Golden BearsChicago BullsChicago Bears
Invariably this Wednesday when I go to Chic Fil A, the woman will ask if the money I left on the counter is mine, and I'll smile and say, "No its yours". - B.P. in Houston

Dog

• -Nutter-
  • The Anti-Nutter
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2015, 06:54:14 pm »
I'm wondering about the complexities of having clout in the twitterverse with 4500 followers.

VicNocal

• NFL Pool Champ
  • -Member-
  • My brand > Your brand
    • vicnocal
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2015, 07:01:17 pm »
A dumbass like you should worry about more simple things, like the complexities of riding a motorcycle.
California Golden BearsChicago BullsChicago Bears
Invariably this Wednesday when I go to Chic Fil A, the woman will ask if the money I left on the counter is mine, and I'll smile and say, "No its yours". - B.P. in Houston

Dog

• -Nutter-
  • The Anti-Nutter
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2015, 07:02:05 pm »
A dumbass like you should worry about more simple things, like the complexities of riding a motorcycle.

There really isn't anything much simpler than Twitter  :uhh

frankinhouston

• -Member-
    • @harryhooper8
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2015, 08:36:40 pm »
Say it with me now fellas......ATLAS SHRUGGED.

The misperception as far as profit margins explains the people who think a McDonald's counter worker "deserves" to be paid $15/hr.  They think fat cat Mr McDonald up there in his penthouse apartment in Manhattan is taking 35 cents out of every dollar that comes in and giving just 5 cents to the worker, so they say "Greedy 1-percenter Mr McDonald, why don't you instead take just 30 cents out of every dollar for yourself, and give 10 cents to the worker instead of just 5?  That will still leave you with 30 cents for you to be a greedy 1-percenter, while at least being more fair to the worker who's working so hard."

These people have no notion of what running a complex business is like, and I'm guessing they don't know about a whole host of other things on which they chime in - such as the complexities of being an NFL head coach, the complexities of directing a big budget movie, the complexities of being an elected official, etc etc.  No, these are just people who throw tomatoes from the comfort and mediocrity of their couches.

hey vic,

those lights in the sky are unidentified foreign objects....... <play twilight zone theme here>

f
Texas A&M AggiesHouston AstrosHouston RocketsHouston Texans

frankinhouston

• -Member-
    • @harryhooper8
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2015, 08:40:41 pm »
sorry, i had to reply to that fvcking tirade first.

yes, all those demands are ridiculous. but you have people living in pacles that have skewered minds. i'm a liberal, but here in texas it would be nice for people that work in the service industry to get a fair wage. what that is, needs to be figured out. go.............

f
Texas A&M AggiesHouston AstrosHouston RocketsHouston Texans

Learjet89

• -Nutter-
  • -Fact Checker-
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2015, 08:56:30 pm »
sorry, i had to reply to that fvcking tirade first.

yes, all those demands are ridiculous. but you have people living in pacles that have skewered minds. i'm a liberal, but here in texas it would be nice for people that work in the service industry to get a fair wage. what that is, needs to be figured out. go.............

f

Minimum skills & minimum education deserve a minimum wage.  Don't like your job?  Unless you are under contract, nothing is stopping you from getting a different one that pays more.
Xavier MusketeersCincinnati RedsCincinnati Bengals