Author Topic: Oakland Raiders 2015: Thread of Light  (Read 866 times)

wireman

• -Nutter-
Oakland Raiders 2015: Thread of Light
« on: September 09, 2015, 09:20:50 am »
Its that time again when I gleefully write about muh Raiders in September only to see the football gods kick me and the rest of Raider Nation in the ass come November.

Major changes were made in the offseason and including a surprising trade during the last week of the pre-season.

Jack Del Rio late as the D-coordinator for the Donks gets his second stint as a head coach (previously w/the Jags).  He has a no nonsense approach and maybe the coach to get the Raiders back into the playoffs.  Of course this means bringing in his own staff:

Bill Musgrave- O-Coordinator
Ken Norton, Jr - D-Coordinator
Mike Tice - O-Line Coach
Jethro Franklin - D-Line Coach

Quarterback- Derek Carr posted a 21 td 12 interception rookie season and in many re-drafts he would've been the first qb taken.  This despite a very mediocre wr corps and a decent o-line.  Now he has weapons to help (wr's) so, his numbers should rise (hopefully the ints wont).
Matt McGloin is the backup.

RB's - Gone is longtime rb Darren "Glass" McFadden; dude was fantastic but, he was brittle (ask the Cowboys).  Latavius Murray has taken on the lead back role. And he is built (6'3 240) to take the load.  Taiwan Jones & Roy Helu are the backups.

WR's - Easily the weakest link last year; this group on paper looks to be one of the strongest this year.  Taking Amari Cooper w/the #4 pick overall greatly helps Carr out.  Later they picked up ex-49er Michael Crabtree (ironic that several years later the Raiders get him when they should've drafted him instead of Darrius Heyward-Bey in 2009) these two alone will help an offense that ranked either at or near the bottom in many offensive categories.  The slot receiver could be Seth Roberts but, its still up for debate.  Rod Streater, Andre Holmes & Brice Butler round out the wr corps.

TE - Mychal Rivera is the incumbent and he had his moments but, the Raiders drafted Clive Walford out of the U and if not for camp injuries could be the starter.  Lee Smith and Gabe Holmes are the other 2 listed on the depth chart.

O-Line - Center Rodney Hudson (late of the Chefs) provides an instant upgrade over Stefan Wisnewski who was looking for a big payday.  Menelik Watson has been lost for the season due to an Achilles Tendon rupture.  The line under Mike Tice looks to be improved and should give Carr plenty of protection and open up holes for the rb's.

D-Line - Khalil Mack will be playing some DE as well as some LB.  This is huge given the fact that he can come off the edge and do some damage.  Signing Dan Williams from the Cardinals was a nice pickup as he can plug up the middle and stop that leaking line from getting gashed in the running game.  Justin Tuck still has something in the tank and should be able to get some pressure on the qb. 

LB's - In a surprising move JDR traded LB Sio Moore to the Colts for a 6th rounder.  He'd definitely gotten in JDR's doghouse and given the fact that he had hip surgery and wasn't playing w/the 1st teamers led to him being jettisoned.  Ray-Ray Armstrong steps in to take his place.  Curtis Lofton comes over from the Saints and Malcolm Smith comes from the Seahawks.  Keep an eye on rookie Ben Heeney.

DB's - Oh boy.  On paper this is the weak link for the Raiders this year.  Unable to pick up any db's in FA the Raiders are going to go with basically the same crew from last year.  Hayden is in a prove it year and he has to step up in order to continue to be a starter.  TJ Carrie had a good camp and should be okay.  The ageless one Charles Woodson comes back for his 18th and possibly last year.  Former Eagle Nate Allen is the other safety.

Special Teams - SeaBass is back and looked very well in preseason.  Marquette King is the punter.

Outlook - As with any team injuries (especially major ones) play a big role.  If Carr is out for a significant amount of time they could be in for a long season.  Defensively, it would be any of the db's. 
After playing one of the toughest schedule;s last year the Raiders schedule isn't as bad but, it's still not easy (AFC/NFC North, the J-E-T-S and Titans).

7-9

Raiders4Life!!!
North Carolina Tar HeelsOakland AthleticsSacramento KingsOakland RaidersCarolina Hurricanes
I may be drunk Miss but, in the morning I'll be sober & you'll still be ugly. W. Churchill

Saluki

• I'd never join a club that would have me as a
  • -Nutter-
  • I've made a huge mistake
Re: Oakland Raiders 2015: Thread of Light
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 09:28:51 am »
Raider Nation

Get outta here with that bullshit.
Southern Illinois SalukisPittsburgh PiratesChicago BullsPittsburgh SteelersPittsburgh Penguins
I'm more muscular than you /s/ Tudo

MysticMan

• -Member-
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 10:15:44 am »
4-12

book it mon
Missouri TigersSt. Louis CardinalsMemphis GrizzliesCarolina PanthersSt Louis Blues
I'm a man of the past, living in the present, walking in the future

Steve in HTown

• -Admin-
    • stucknut
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 10:21:06 am »
Raiders will win the west this season  :koolaid
Texas LonghornsHouston AstrosHouston RocketsCleveland Browns

Stab

• Morally Flexible
  • -Nutter-
  • Flat Sun Denier
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 10:22:48 am »
It would be good for gangs and gang culture in general if the Raiders got better.

Raider success=more violence and drugs on the street.

Wisconsin BadgersMilwaukee BrewersMilwaukee BucksGreen Bay Packers
Not the worst. Not even close.

wireman

• -Nutter-
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 08:21:53 am »
oh so close....

the last two weeks have been brutal to the Raiders; a last second fg loss to da Bears and that pick six & two missed fg's against the Donks.  4-1 would've been great heading into the bye but, the football gods are not yet ready to release the Raiders from football purgatory so, 2-3 it is.
North Carolina Tar HeelsOakland AthleticsSacramento KingsOakland RaidersCarolina Hurricanes
I may be drunk Miss but, in the morning I'll be sober & you'll still be ugly. W. Churchill

wireman

• -Nutter-
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 08:28:43 am »
another losing season 7-9 but, the light @ the end of the tunnel is within reach.

Offensive MVP - QB Derek Carr 32 tds 13 ints (8-1 ratio) 61.1% completition rate and almost 4k yards (3,987). If not for the 44 drops (he and Brady tied for the league lead in that category.  Cooper had 18) he could have had over 4k yds but, I digress.

Defensive MVP - DE/LB Khalil Mack 15 sacks (including that masterpiece of 5 versus the Donks). He was leading the league until Mr. Watt had 3 on Sunday. 

Special Teams MVP - Long Snapper John Condo; it really showed how important he is when he went down when they played the Broncos. 

The pieces on offense are there for the Raiders to be a very explosive offense next year.  The wr's (Cooper/King Crab and Roberts) all played exceptionally well (Cooper hit that wall around week 13).  TE Clive Walford will be than just a safety valve as he can stretch the field as a TE.  Finding a consistent backup to RB Latavius Murray will help out.

After being gashed early in the season; the defense finally got itself on track and looked much better late in the season.  Bringing in David Amerson was a godsend as he helped out tremendously in the secondary.  Khalil Mack is a terror.  Aldon Smith's suspension actually allowed other players to step up and show there worth (Jenkins/Autry/Edwards).  The defense will still need to get a quality DB in the offseason.  The Raiders pick 14th in the draft so, finding one there may not happen. 

Next year should end 2 things:
1. they should have a winning record
2. they should make the playoffs

Learjet89

• -Nutter-
  • -Fact Checker-
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 08:34:31 am »
They looked good this year.  Which is amazing after they appeared to be DOA in week 1, but they found themselves a nice little groove and gave a lot of teams headaches.  Del Rio might get them to the playoffs next year, especially looking at their schedule (AFC & NFC South, plus Baltimore and Buffalo) and the wide open AFC West.
Xavier MusketeersCincinnati RedsCincinnati Bengals

Front Porch

• Rat bastard
  • -Security-
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2016, 08:47:03 am »
32 and 13 is not 8-1 ratio.

Steve in HTown

• -Admin-
    • stucknut
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2016, 09:00:32 am »
32 and 13 is not 8-1 ratio.

it was but he threw 9 INT's in the last game with 0 TD's  :koolaid

wireman

• -Nutter-
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2016, 09:11:22 am »
I wish it was 8-1 but, it was only 4-1 :lol

Stab

• Morally Flexible
  • -Nutter-
  • Flat Sun Denier
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2016, 09:13:42 am »
I wish it was 8-1 but, it was only 4-1 :lol
Math is definitely not your strong point.
Wisconsin BadgersMilwaukee BrewersMilwaukee BucksGreen Bay Packers
Not the worst. Not even close.

Front Porch

• Rat bastard
  • -Security-
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2016, 09:15:39 am »
That would 52 tds to 13 ints.

He was about 2.5 to 1.

VicNocal

• NFL Pool Champ
  • -Member-
  • My brand > Your brand
    • vicnocal
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2016, 09:59:55 am »
They looked good this year.  Which is amazing after they appeared to be DOA in week 1, but they found themselves a nice little groove and gave a lot of teams headaches.  Del Rio might get them to the playoffs next year, especially looking at their schedule (AFC & NFC South, plus Baltimore and Buffalo) and the wide open AFC West.

:lol "Looking at the schedule" in January
California Golden BearsChicago BullsChicago Bears
Invariably this Wednesday when I go to Chic Fil A, the woman will ask if the money I left on the counter is mine, and I'll smile and say, "No its yours". - B.P. in Houston

Steve in HTown

• -Admin-
    • stucknut
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2016, 10:07:51 am »
AFC South is gonna pwn next year  :koolaid :uhh :lol