Author Topic: College Football Playoff  (Read 3531 times)

Jeff in MD

• the M.D. is in the house
  • -Nutter-
  • 2012 Stucknut NFL Pool Champion
Re: College Football Playoff
« Reply #60 on: January 01, 2016, 11:25:09 pm »
Someone should let ESPN know that New Year's Eve is not a holiday like Christmas and Thanksgiving. 

I was still at work when the Orange Bowl started.  Just a stupid decision as people want to go out on New Year's Eve.  Not sit around and watch football.

Agreed, the schedule sucked but to a degree the NCAA was handcuffed. Couldn't play the games tonight because of the big non-playoff bowls and couldn't play them tomorrow night because both the Cowboys and Dolphins are using those stadiums on Sunday so the turnaround would be too fast.

Best thing for them to do imo would have been to play the games next Thursday and Friday nights. The viewers would already be juiced for NFL playoff games next Saturday and Sunday and the playoff semis would mean 4 straight days of football and be a great lead in to the NFL playoff weekend. Then they could have rolled back the Nat'l championship to Monday the 18th.

And I agree with JiT, it's too bad that an overrated Michigan State team got to play in a playoff because of a fluke last second win over Michigan and a close rain-slopped win against Ohio State who had an off day. Couldn't leave them out of it, just sucks that things fell the way they did.

And if the NCAA really wants to do the viewers a favor, leave Notre Dame out of big bowl games that we know they don't deserve to go to and haven't won in decades. No one cares that they're Notre Dame anymore, save the viewers from watching the annual big-bowl ass kicking that we all know is coming.
Maryland TerrapinsWashington NationalsWashington WizardsWashington RedskinsWashington Capitals

Front Porch

• Rat bastard
  • -Security-
« Reply #61 on: January 02, 2016, 12:27:22 am »
The article pretty clearly says it is about establishing New Year's Eve as a college football day.

So your discussions of what is going on before or after isn't really relevant. 

No doubt if they wanted those stadiums they could have worked with the NFL on scheduling.  I am guessing that the bowl games and pros sharing a stadium has been worked out before in the past and they couldn't probably have done that if they wanted to do so. 

Norman in Norman

• RIP Mike in Sandy Eggo
  • -Nutter-
« Reply #62 on: January 02, 2016, 10:37:28 am »
Glad this is a double elim this year. Oklahoma will beat sparty then come back and take Clemson two times.  :koolaid
Oklahoma SoonersSt. Louis CardinalsOklahoma City ThunderHouston Texans
Mohrrior

Jeff in MD

• the M.D. is in the house
  • -Nutter-
  • 2012 Stucknut NFL Pool Champion
« Reply #63 on: January 03, 2016, 12:16:55 pm »
The article pretty clearly says it is about establishing New Year's Eve as a college football day.

So your discussions of what is going on before or after isn't really relevant. 

No doubt if they wanted those stadiums they could have worked with the NFL on scheduling.  I am guessing that the bowl games and pros sharing a stadium has been worked out before in the past and they couldn't probably have done that if they wanted to do so.

Yeah I know the NYE thing is what the goal was, but they should have been practical instead. It's why the NCAA sucks.
Maryland TerrapinsWashington NationalsWashington WizardsWashington RedskinsWashington Capitals

wireman

• -Nutter-
« Reply #64 on: January 04, 2016, 09:35:08 am »
FP it wasn't ESPN's decision to play the games on NYE it was the CFP Committee.  ESPN was lobbying to have the semi's on NYD or even on Saturday but, the committee wants to establish the semi's as a "new tradition".
North Carolina Tar HeelsOakland AthleticsSacramento KingsOakland RaidersCarolina Hurricanes
I may be drunk Miss but, in the morning I'll be sober & you'll still be ugly. W. Churchill

Boges

• qwnt
  • -Nutter-
« Reply #65 on: January 04, 2016, 10:02:14 am »
You telling me they couldn't have had the Dolphins and Cowboys finish their season on the road this year? I'm pretty sure they were given these semi-final games before the NFL schedule was constructed.

These other "Big Bowl" seemed like an after thought this year because the big games had already happened. In previous years they were sort of like an undercard.

Last year New Years Eve had some of the good bowls and you had the traditional Big 10 v SEC bowls at Noon-4 then have the Semi Finals at 4 and 8 like last year. Hopefully they don't do it going forward. Their ratings can't have been better than last year on New Year's Day.
Toronto Blue JaysMiami Dolphins
what?

Front Porch

• Rat bastard
  • -Security-
« Reply #66 on: January 04, 2016, 10:23:49 am »
The ratings ranked. However they plan to continue do this as of right now.

wireman

• -Nutter-
« Reply #67 on: January 04, 2016, 01:15:05 pm »
yup, ratings were down 30% vs last year.  the bigger sticking point is that the Rose & Sugar Bowls must be played on NYD (this was in the contract) regardless of if they are hosting the CFP.  Why the CFP committee bowed down is a mystery.
North Carolina Tar HeelsOakland AthleticsSacramento KingsOakland RaidersCarolina Hurricanes
I may be drunk Miss but, in the morning I'll be sober & you'll still be ugly. W. Churchill

Six-Pack-Jack

• Brewmaster-in-Training
  • -Member-
« Reply #68 on: January 04, 2016, 02:22:43 pm »
NYE is for getting drunk and fvcking hookers.

NYD is for hangovers and college football.

fvck this I didn't even watch. I was too busy fvcking destiny in the ass and ripping lines of coke.
Notre Dame Fighting IrishNew York MetsNew York KnicksNew York JetsNew York Islanders