Author Topic: Miami Vice Haters  (Read 1095 times)

Hedstrom

• -Nutter-
  • Born and Raised in South Detroit
    • hedstrombacon
    • @hedstrombacon
Miami Vice Haters
« on: January 25, 2016, 08:17:09 am »
People love to make fun of the show but it was a huge part of popular culture in the mid to late 80's. It was in a league of its own. What tv show sparked so many cultural trends?  Modern art and architecture, music, cars, clothes: wrinkled pastels, no socks, no belts. A new era for the Ray Ban Wayfarers which sparked the cheap sunglasses phenom. Armani suits in 90 degree heat. WTF? How many tv shows can boast having record companies negotiating to have their artists featured? How many shows had songs written specifically for them by current popular artists or had its own distinctive soundtrack...not just the theme music...an entire original soundtrack score?

Some of the actors featured who were virtual unknowns and later became big stars in film and tv. Bruce Willis, Bill Paxton, Ed O'Neil, Ben Stiller, John Leguizamo, Wesley Snipes, Lawrence Fishburn....just to name a few. And it gave new life to older stars like Dennis Farina and Gregory Sierra. Many musicians tested their acting chops (some better than others).....James Brown, Frank Zappa, Leonard Cohen, Little Richard, Gene Simmons, Ted Nugent and of course, Phil Collins.

The coolest thing of it all at the time for me was that the good guys didn't always win. Sure it's fun to mock and ridicule shit from over 3 decades ago, but there's no denying the impact the show had on modern culture. If you can't at least admit that...you're just being a dick.

SCOREBOARD!!!!

Haters :bananbang Miami Vice Facts

Miami DolphinsCalgary Flames

Front Porch

• Rat bastard
  • -Security-
Re: Miami Vice Haters
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 08:38:56 am »
And they call me old.

wireman

• -Nutter-
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 08:42:33 am »
Agreed Hed.

while I didn't make it must watch t.v. at the time; I've watched a lot of the episodes in syndication.  that music was a big plus to the show because it was almost as if it were an hour long music video that was set to the show itself. 

of course most of the episodes dealt w/the Miami drug trade (well 95%) with some other plots thrown in from time to time.

North Carolina Tar HeelsOakland AthleticsSacramento KingsOakland RaidersCarolina Hurricanes
I may be drunk Miss but, in the morning I'll be sober & you'll still be ugly. W. Churchill

Learjet89

• -Nutter-
  • -Fact Checker-
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 11:32:27 am »
As horribly dated as it has become, the storytelling, production, acting and soundtrack is still superb. 
Xavier MusketeersCincinnati RedsCincinnati Bengals

Hedstrom

• -Nutter-
  • Born and Raised in South Detroit
    • hedstrombacon
    • @hedstrombacon
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 12:33:59 pm »
And they call me old.

Once we reach 40 we're all officially considered "old".
Miami DolphinsCalgary Flames

VicNocal

• NFL Pool Champ
  • -Member-
  • My brand > Your brand
    • vicnocal
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 03:13:52 pm »
I actually really like that Miami Vice movie with Colin Farrell and Jamie Foxx.  It's very dark and somber with just the right amount of ridiculousness, such as when "smooth" Sonny Crockett (Farrell) goes up to some really hot waitress chick at a club and his ladykiller rap goes like this:

"Where you from, darling?"
-Lisboa. That's in Portugal.
"But you got your tan in Miami?"
California Golden BearsChicago BullsChicago Bears
Invariably this Wednesday when I go to Chic Fil A, the woman will ask if the money I left on the counter is mine, and I'll smile and say, "No its yours". - B.P. in Houston

Joe in EastVan

• If you read this, you're gay!
  • -Nutter-
  • Genesis 19:30-35
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 07:00:07 pm »
Who da fuk hates Miami Vice? That show was awesome.

Dan in Toronto

• -Member-
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2016, 06:56:43 am »
My old man loved watching Miami Vice. Every Friday night we watched it but I was too young to understand wtf was going on  :laugh:
Buffalo BillsOttawa Senators

jeff in tucson

• puts the "semen" in amusement :koolaid
  • -Nutter-
    • sb1070supporter
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2016, 09:20:41 am »
Don't forget Edward James Pockmark and his skinny ass ties.
Arizona WildcatsArizona DiamondbacksPhoenix SunsDallas CowboysPhoenix Coyotes