Author Topic: I need one of those Wal-Mart haters to come around  (Read 1458 times)

Front Porch

• Rat bastard
  • -Security-
I need one of those Wal-Mart haters to come around
« on: January 28, 2016, 10:22:56 pm »
So I see that Wal-Mart is closing and catch this quote from a yahoo article.

https://gma.yahoo.com/walmart-closures-leaving-small-towns-broken-residents-223005699.html

In Fairfield, Alabama, city leaders are now wondering how they will pay the bills. Walmart provided 35 percent of the tax base.

"Walmart puts a strong hold on the city when they come into that neighborhood," said Darnell Gardner, Fairfield's City Council President said. "And they tend to drive that little boy out of business all the time. It's going to definitely affect the revenue that comes into this city, tremendously, so I really hate that they are doing this to us."

Well colored me confused because I am sure JiP and others kept talking about how the tax payers were subsidizing Walmart.  I guess covering 35% of the Government's funds is subsidizing now.  They should have been paying 50%.

I am also guessing that those laid off will soon wish they could go back to those wages. 

Learjet89

• -Nutter-
  • -Fact Checker-
Re: I need one of those Wal-Mart haters to come around
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 10:30:09 pm »
Usually because talking about "corporate welfare" only thinks about federal tax revenue (and only corporate filings, not individual employee income taxes), not state and local taxes.
Xavier MusketeersCincinnati RedsCincinnati Bengals

Dog

• -Nutter-
  • The Anti-Nutter
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 10:32:28 pm »
35% of the tax base for some unpopulated podunk, redneck County in Bama does not really help your argument, FP
Boise St. BroncosChicago CubsBoston CelticsMiami Dolphins

Front Porch

• Rat bastard
  • -Security-
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 10:42:41 pm »
yeah because that is the only place they contribute.

Based on previous posts this unpopulated podunk, redneck County should be celebrating that they no longer have to subsidize this tax drain on their revenues. 

Saluki

• I'd never join a club that would have me as a
  • -Nutter-
  • I've made a huge mistake
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 10:55:42 pm »
My guess is, JiP was talking about enterprise zones and tax increment financing districts in which businesses do not pay property taxes to municipalities. Instead, a percentage of what they would pay on the added value of the property -- the increment -- goes into a fund that's later used for improvements to the properties. Basically, it's a tax-free savings account. Generally, at least in my experience reporting on it, those districts are further aided by the government picking up the tab for infrastructure, which isn't too unusual inside or outside of the districts. The tax base those cities officials are likely talking about is sales tax, especially if that community is home rule (or whatever it's called in Bama). More likely, give that it's JiP, he was talking about Walmart employees going on the public dole because they're pawr.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 10:59:09 pm by Saluki »
Southern Illinois SalukisPittsburgh PiratesChicago BullsPittsburgh SteelersPittsburgh Penguins
I'm more muscular than you /s/ Tudo

Front Porch

• Rat bastard
  • -Security-
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 11:04:32 pm »
JiP was primarily #2.

Most of his comments came in the raising the minimum wage discussions. 

Saluki

• -Nutter-
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2016, 11:06:39 pm »
Too bad. I enjoy talking about TIFs, especially as it relates to the property tax base. :lol
Southern Illinois SalukisPittsburgh PiratesChicago BullsPittsburgh SteelersPittsburgh Penguins

Dog

• -Nutter-
  • The Anti-Nutter
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2016, 11:08:58 pm »
I guess I'm not understanding your argument.   On a national level, I do believe Walmart may be subsidized.  But taking one store out of a thousand, using an isolated example, doesn't really make for sound evidence or prove your point.

Saluki

• -Nutter-
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2016, 11:14:48 pm »
Walmart is a large, if not the largest, sales-tax contributor in pretty much any community it calls home. Now, I guess you could make the argument that, instead of one giant retailer filling the kitty, several smaller, independently owned businesses could do the same thing. But, smaller communities don't really have the wherewithal to prevent Walmart from locating in them. and consumers have time and again shown that they like to shop there.

testudo

• Stucknut historian (y'all don't want this)
  • -Nutter-
  • Amberlamp Driver
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2016, 06:13:35 am »
Walmart,  and other big box stores are small business killers.

The freaking bama's were probably happy to have a walmart move in.     fvckers do grocery,  tires,  pharmacy, video games,  electronics, clothing, etc... all made in china for a lower price.

Drove all the small business away.    Now they got nuffin'

Thanks for playing pore people in alabama.

Thing I don't understand is how people aren't reporting about all the restaurants closing in Seattle.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 06:33:35 am by testudo »
Maryland TerrapinsBaltimore OriolesWashington WizardsBaltimore RavensWashington Capitals

Rob in VB

• Masticater
  • -Nutter-
  • Zamboni Pilot
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2016, 08:04:17 am »
35% of the tax base for some unpopulated podunk, redneck County in Bama does not really help your argument, FP

Way to discount a large portion of your country's population.  fvck off.
Georgetown HoyasNew York MetsNew York KnicksDallas CowboysWashington Capitals

wireman

• -Nutter-
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2016, 08:19:42 am »
where are mr & mrs Podunk going to get that Ol' Roy dog food from now :'(
North Carolina Tar HeelsOakland AthleticsSacramento KingsOakland RaidersCarolina Hurricanes
I may be drunk Miss but, in the morning I'll be sober & you'll still be ugly. W. Churchill

Dog

• -Nutter-
  • The Anti-Nutter
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2016, 08:44:58 am »
Way to discount a large portion of your country's population.  fvck off.

Oh yeah, that's less than one percent.

frankinhouston

• -Member-
    • @harryhooper8
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2016, 05:39:06 pm »
So I see that Wal-Mart is closing and catch this quote from a yahoo article.

https://gma.yahoo.com/walmart-closures-leaving-small-towns-broken-residents-223005699.html

In Fairfield, Alabama, city leaders are now wondering how they will pay the bills. Walmart provided 35 percent of the tax base.

"Walmart puts a strong hold on the city when they come into that neighborhood," said Darnell Gardner, Fairfield's City Council President said. "And they tend to drive that little boy out of business all the time. It's going to definitely affect the revenue that comes into this city, tremendously, so I really hate that they are doing this to us."

Well colored me confused because I am sure JiP and others kept talking about how the tax payers were subsidizing Walmart.  I guess covering 35% of the Government's funds is subsidizing now.  They should have been paying 50%.

I am also guessing that those laid off will soon wish they could go back to those wages.

color me blind, but what's your solution fornt? you got you way with wal mart coming in. now they bolt. you are a god damned imbecile who promotes any way to lower prices. that's not called competition, it's elimination of family businesses. wal mart or some semblance of that ilk will be back in 5-10 or so. keep screwing the poor folk. MAN, WHAT A LIFESTYLE

f

Texas A&M AggiesHouston AstrosHouston RocketsHouston Texans

Front Porch

• Rat bastard
  • -Security-
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2016, 07:07:29 pm »
I may answer when you can post something coherent.