Author Topic: Final Four  (Read 1652 times)

wireman

• -Nutter-
Final Four
« on: March 28, 2016, 01:23:39 pm »
...and then there were four

Oklahoma (2)
Villanova (2)
Syracuse (10) (wtf)
UNC (1)

Okie:
Okie of course has the tourneys highest scorer in Buddy Hield.  He's shooting a shade under 50% from the 3pt line (19/40!) and over 50% overall he can score at will.  Okie has a 3 guard lineup; the aforementioned Hield, Woodard & Cousins.  those guys are the top 3 scores and usually one or the other is 2nd to Hield in scoring.  the weakness is on the inside.  Spangler (center) can score but, he's only 6'8.  Khadeem Latin (pf) is a good shot blocker but, he doesn't score.

Villanova:
this is a balanced team where the starters average double digits (Brunson avg 9.8 the lowest). although they play w/a traditional lineup; Kris Jenkins is more of a stretch 4 as he regularly steps behind the arc to shoot.  Ochefu (center) is a load download and I'm sure they will go to him early and often to get the Sooners focused somewhat on the paint, leaving Arcidiano, Brunson, Jenkins & Hart open for 3's.  The problem w/Villanova is the interior defense.  Aside from Ochefu (Jenkins is foul prone) the post defense isn't that good but, Okie doesn't have a post player(s) that would be a major cause of concern to 'Nova.  Ochefu is a smart player and if he got into foul trouble I'd be surprised.

Okie - 77
'Nova - 71

The following analysis is from an unabashed Tarheel fan

The ACC Invitational continues .....

Syracuse:

They got in and have been showing their ass!  Most analysts had them in the play in game or not in the tourney all together.  What a difference 2 weeks makes & after taking down the #1 seed Cavaliers; here they are.
The matchup zone is a nightmare if a team hasn't played against and even if they have it can still give you fits.  Against UVA it wasn't the zone that caused them to collapse it was the speed and athleticism of the 'Cuse that UVA couldn't match.  Malachi Richardson was basically a 1 man wrecking crew. He did what he wanted, when he wanted and how he wanted.  Michael Gbinije (sp) is the leading scorer but, on average the starters score in double figures (Roberson is the low man @ 9.0 ppg).

The bench is an issue; the top bench scorer is DaJuan Coleman (Derrick's son) @ 4.9 ppg.  If any one of the starters (mainly Cooney/Gbinije or Richardson) get in foul trouble it could get ugly.  Roberson is a beast on the boards but, he isn't a volume scorer.  The matchup zone can be exploited (UVA before the collapse) but, the opponents better be knocking the shots down. 

University of North Carolina Tarheels:

Where do I start  :lol...

Along w/Kentucky I think this was one of the most analyzed teams during the year; 3pt shooting, Marcus Paige, toughness, Kennedy Meeks and on and on and now they are in the Final Four.   

It starts in the middle for the Heels. Brice Johnson has 23 dbl/dbls and counting this year.  You can't stop him but, he can be slowed down because of foul trouble.  Kennedy Meeks seems to be peaking at the right time (8 straight points to open the 2nd half versus ND) and he seems to be more aggressive on the boards.  This is the strength of this team no doubt about it.  But, if either of them get into foul trouble Isaiah Hicks can step in and provide some defense and offense.  Justin Jackson can score 12-17 points and you wouldn't know it; he is sneaky good.

Marcus Paige & Joel Berry II have been very good as of late.  Paige on Friday came out firing from behind the arc (4 of his first 4).  Berry has been consistent but, he's capable of taking over.  The bench led by Hicks; is 4 deep so, while if an injury or foul trouble rears its ugly head the Heels could overcome it. 

The Heels come at you in waves and even when ND went on a 12-0 run, had Mr. Mo and a 52-51 lead the Heels hit the switch and went on their on 12-0 run and never looked back.  The issue w/muh Heels is 3pt shots; they rank near the bottom out of 300+ schools in that category...brutal.  But, when you have Johnson/Jackson/Meeks/Hicks/James on the frontline collecting offensive rebounds you can afford to be off in the 3pt shooting.

UNC - 83
Syracuse - 71

North Carolina Tar HeelsOakland AthleticsSacramento KingsOakland RaidersCarolina Hurricanes
I may be drunk Miss but, in the morning I'll be sober & you'll still be ugly. W. Churchill

Dog

• -Nutter-
  • The Anti-Nutter
Re: Final Four
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 01:24:51 pm »
TL:DR

UNC wins it all
Boise St. BroncosChicago CubsBoston CelticsMiami Dolphins

John in Nashville

• 16 in the clip and one in the hole.
  • -Nutter-
  • Georgetown Sucks!
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 02:31:16 pm »
DaJuan Coleman is not Derrick's son.

I wouldn't worry about Gbinije or Cooney getting into foul trouble since they are guards and tend not to foul too much. I would be more concerned about Roberson or Lydon getting into foul trouble.

There basically is no bench. The only other player you might see is Franklin Howard who might get a hole 5 minutes if he is real lucky.

I wouldn't count this team out. There seems to be a bit of an us vs the world thing going on which can make any team dangerous.

The zone has been playing very well. The offence not so much except that crazy run last night. If Syracuse comes out and is shooting well this could be a very long game for the heels.
Syracuse OrangeNew York YankeesNew York KnicksNew York GiantsNashville Predators

Rob in VB

• Masticater
  • -Nutter-
  • Zamboni Pilot
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 02:32:45 pm »
I'm pretty sure it's going to be 40 minutes long.
Georgetown HoyasNew York MetsNew York KnicksDallas CowboysWashington Capitals

John in Nashville

• 16 in the clip and one in the hole.
  • -Nutter-
  • Georgetown Sucks!
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 02:56:12 pm »
I'm pretty sure it's going to be 40 minutes long.

How did Georgetown do in the tournament this year?
Syracuse OrangeNew York YankeesNew York KnicksNew York GiantsNashville Predators

Rob in VB

• Masticater
  • -Nutter-
  • Zamboni Pilot
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2016, 02:56:40 pm »
How did Georgetown do in the tournament this year?

Snappy retort.
Georgetown HoyasNew York MetsNew York KnicksDallas CowboysWashington Capitals

Snakeeyes

• Fair & Balanced.
  • -Nutter-
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 03:58:58 pm »
The team that scores the most points in this weekend's games stands a strong chance of coming out victorious after its all over.  /s/ NoShit in MD   
Colorado St. RamsColorado RockiesDenver NuggetsBuffalo BillsBuffalo Sabres
"I took all the same classes as you at a much bigger D1 school."  :lol

Norman in Norman

• RIP Mike in Sandy Eggo
  • -Nutter-
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2016, 05:17:34 pm »
The team that scores the most points in this weekend's games stands a strong chance of coming out victorious after its all over.  /s/ NoShit in MD
:lol
Oklahoma SoonersSt. Louis CardinalsOklahoma City ThunderHouston Texans
Mohrrior

frankinhouston

• -Member-
    • @harryhooper8
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2016, 07:50:53 pm »
got a spare room for anyone from stucknut to use. queen size bed, free if you bring booze.

f
Texas A&M AggiesHouston AstrosHouston RocketsHouston Texans

Saluki

• I'd never join a club that would have me as a
  • -Nutter-
  • I've made a huge mistake
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2016, 08:55:41 pm »
The offence

Go back to Canada, you fvcking commie
Southern Illinois SalukisPittsburgh PiratesChicago BullsPittsburgh SteelersPittsburgh Penguins
I'm more muscular than you /s/ Tudo

Bill_in_Phoenix

• -Member-
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2016, 01:03:27 am »
...and then there were four

words...
words...
words...

Syracuse - 71
Never has so much been written about so little.  Or "aboot" if your Canuckistani.
Western Michigan BroncosSt. Louis CardinalsPhoenix SunsSt Louis Blues
Get off my lawn

Spanky

• -Security-
  • Has 2008 racks more than this
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2016, 07:01:35 am »
got a spare room for anyone from stucknut to use. queen size bed, free if you bring booze.

f

:lol yeah which one of you wants to be unconscious around this mongoloid drunk?
Nebraska CornhuskersNew York YankeesNew York JetsMontreal Canadiens

testudo

• Stucknut historian (y'all don't want this)
  • -Nutter-
  • Amberlamp Driver
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2016, 07:52:49 am »
:lol yeah which one of you wants to be unconscious around this mongoloid drunk?

:lol      that's solid poating.
Maryland TerrapinsBaltimore OriolesWashington WizardsBaltimore RavensWashington Capitals

wireman

• -Nutter-
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2016, 08:27:35 am »
Never has so much been written about so little.  Or "aboot" if your Canuckistani.
and your comment added zero to the thread...gtfo
North Carolina Tar HeelsOakland AthleticsSacramento KingsOakland RaidersCarolina Hurricanes
I may be drunk Miss but, in the morning I'll be sober & you'll still be ugly. W. Churchill

SteelyDanFan

• Patty in Modesto's AA sponsor
  • -Member-
  • I roll out my gold teef
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2016, 10:25:15 pm »
Three teams which lean strongly on the three-pointer for offense.........and North Carolina, who shoots 26% from 3 when they can be bothered to take a 3, and who sends in waves of front-court automotons who bludgeon the opposing front lines into complete and utter submission.

Playing in a venue notorious for poor three-point shooting.

While you do the math, I'm doing the alfredo.
Michigan St. SpartansDetroit TigersDetroit Red Wings