Author Topic: Interesting stat I heard them talking about on Mike & Mike this morning.  (Read 1160 times)

Snakeeyes

• Fair & Balanced.
  • -Nutter-
Since 1965, the percent of #1 overall picks in each sport to make that sport's HOF:

NBA 44%
NFL  26%
MLB    3%

I had to get into work so I didn't get to hear the follow-up discussion, but that's a much higher difference than I would have thought.  Why can't beisbol nail its picks down like the other sports??

:popcorn
Colorado St. RamsColorado RockiesDenver NuggetsBuffalo BillsBuffalo Sabres
"I took all the same classes as you at a much bigger D1 school."  :lol

Learjet89

• -Nutter-
  • -Fact Checker-
Since 1965, the percent of #1 overall picks in each sport to make that sport's HOF:

NBA 44%
NFL  26%
MLB    3%

I had to get into work so I didn't get to hear the follow-up discussion, but that's a much higher difference than I would have thought.  Why can't beisbol nail its picks down like the other sports??

:popcorn

Probably because of the minor league system that all baseball players have to go through, no matter what round they were drafted in.
Xavier MusketeersCincinnati RedsCincinnati Bengals

Snakeeyes

• Fair & Balanced.
  • -Nutter-
Acknowledged...but that's a huge fvcking gap.  (insert CA's old lady jokes here) 

testudo

• Stucknut historian (y'all don't want this)
  • -Nutter-
  • Amberlamp Driver
Every post snake makes has a sideways shot at one of the several members here that occupy his musty dome.
Maryland TerrapinsBaltimore OriolesWashington WizardsBaltimore RavensWashington Capitals

Justin NoCal

• Dickpuss Penegor, PhD.
  • Mod
  • leave the gun, take the cannolis
Or it's because MLB has 728392 rounds and 3738 teams to put them on.

They're also drafted, on average, far younger than NBA or NFL. Easier to find a sure thing in NBA or NFL because the players are more mature and developed by then.

I know we're solely talking about #1 picks but the pool of players to pick from and the positions are so wide-ranging in baseball.

Think about how many players played HS or college ball at SS and got moved to OF or Catcher or hell, even a reliever.
California Golden BearsSan Francisco GiantsSacramento KingsWashington Redskins
Elevate, excavate, eliminate.

Snakeeyes

• Fair & Balanced.
  • -Nutter-
Every post snake makes has a sideways shot at one of the several members here that occupy his musty dome.

The adults are talking here, Trig.  Leave us, please.

Snakeeyes

• Fair & Balanced.
  • -Nutter-
Or it's because MLB has 728392 rounds and 3738 teams to put them on.

They're also drafted, on average, far younger than NBA or NFL. Easier to find a sure thing in NBA or NFL because the players are more mature and developed by then.

I know we're solely talking about #1 picks but the pool of players to pick from and the positions are so wide-ranging in baseball.

Think about how many players played HS or college ball at SS and got moved to OF or Catcher or hell, even a reliever.

Not saying you aren't making some good points; but remember they don't care about positions, just if you were drafted #1 or not.

I guess I would need to look into the age rules from the NBA draft from before I actively followed the league to adequately consider age stuff. 

Front Porch

• Rat bastard
  • -Security-
Baseball picks younger than other sports.

NFL requires 3 years past high school while the NBA is one year now.  It was closer when they drafted them straight from high school.  I only count 3 overall.  So the age difference is huge. 

Also because you are scouting from high school you are often scouting players that are playing suspect competition.  A hitter may dominate but he is rarely facing top competition.  So you are doing much more projection for baseball. 

So football is the age difference issue and the greater ability to scout them playing higher level competition.

Basketball is different because they go into the NBA directly and not to minors and because there are 750 MLB players to 360 NBA players.  Just the chances there go up drastically. 

Considering all of the factors the difference isn't that shocking. 

Justin NoCal

• Dickpuss Penegor, PhD.
  • Mod
  • leave the gun, take the cannolis
I believe the one year of college rule is as recent as 10 years ago with the NBA. But remember, kids can be drafted by the MLB before even completing HS.

I know they aren't talking about positions but guys who are drafted #1 in MLB aren't drafted there by need at the position nearly as much as they are in the other leagues.

You should probably also look at the induction processes for the other leagues.
California Golden BearsSan Francisco GiantsSacramento KingsWashington Redskins
Elevate, excavate, eliminate.

Front Porch

• Rat bastard
  • -Security-
basketball players used to almost always stay all 4 years.  It wasn't until recently they were really drafted or scouted.

NBA teams used to believe HS players were not physically or mentally ready to play so they didn't go that high. 

frankinhouston

• -Member-
    • @harryhooper8
many more baseball players drafted.

f
Texas A&M AggiesHouston AstrosHouston RocketsHouston Texans

Saluki

• I'd never join a club that would have me as a
  • -Nutter-
  • I've made a huge mistake
MLB also doesn't draft guys from anywhere outside teh USA. Those doods are FA signings.
Southern Illinois SalukisPittsburgh PiratesChicago BullsPittsburgh SteelersPittsburgh Penguins
I'm more muscular than you /s/ Tudo

Boges

• qwnt
  • -Nutter-
What about Hockey?

This could be why the MLB draft is never televised.
Toronto Blue JaysMiami Dolphins
what?

Dog

• -Nutter-
  • The Anti-Nutter

This could be why the MLB draft is never televised.

Or because its boring as hell, nobody has heard of most of the high school players, and its 42,000 rounds.
Boise St. BroncosChicago CubsBoston CelticsMiami Dolphins

Saluki

• I'd never join a club that would have me as a
  • -Nutter-
  • I've made a huge mistake
Or because STFU, Boges
Southern Illinois SalukisPittsburgh PiratesChicago BullsPittsburgh SteelersPittsburgh Penguins
I'm more muscular than you /s/ Tudo