Author Topic: C'mon Canada...  (Read 1575 times)

Kenyon

• -Member-
Re: C'mon Canada...
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2016, 07:59:15 pm »
I did not take shots at Canadians! How you can screw up my original statements so badly is beyond my understanding. I said the Canadian callers to the show suck. And I'm right. And I think, by your posts that if you called the show you would also suck. I also mentioned the dearth of Canadian hockey teams in the post season. I didn't say Canadians suck at hockey.
UCLA BruinsLos Angeles DodgersLos Angeles LakersArizona CardinalsLos Angeles Kings
An optimist can never be pleasantly surprised

Kenyon

• -Member-
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2016, 08:00:52 pm »
and I said MAYBE Canada really does suck. I did not say it as a fact...
UCLA BruinsLos Angeles DodgersLos Angeles LakersArizona CardinalsLos Angeles Kings

Kenyon

• -Member-
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2016, 08:01:58 pm »
Sheesh! Why are Canadians always so touchy?

Dan in Toronto

• -Member-
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2016, 08:09:32 pm »
A better question is, why are you multi-posting?
Buffalo BillsOttawa Senators

Kenyon

• -Member-
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2016, 08:39:43 pm »
You say that like it's a bad thing.

Kenyon

• -Member-
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2016, 08:47:24 pm »
You say that like it's a bad thing

Kenyon

• -Member-
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2016, 08:48:01 pm »
You say that like it's a bad thing

JC in Calgary

• @JC_in_Calgary
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2016, 03:44:09 am »
Working on going from twitter to the phone. Will see if Austin will let me have a vine next week
Toronto Blue JaysNew England PatriotsMontreal Canadiens

wabashcr

• -Member-
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2016, 06:50:51 am »
I'm racking my brain trying to think of a better Canadian caller than Erin in Ottawa.  She had good sports takes and solid smack.  She wasn't ever going to win a smackoff, but she definitely earned her invite.  I'm sure there have been great calls from Canada, and definitely great emailers, texters and tweeters, but no great regular callers.  Unless of course you count Greg in Vegas, who is Canadian.

As of right now, there are no Canadian callers who belong in the smackoff, and I hope Rome doesn't let one in just for the sake of having Canadian representation.  If someone comes out of nowhere with the kind of game to actually win, ok, fine.  Otherwise it's just going to take up time.  Lately the smackoff has usually included at least a few filler calls that never had a chance to win, and I guess it wouldn't be a big deal if Rome used some of that time to play up the Canadian angle.  It just feels way too contrived.  Everyone listening knows that the Canadian callers who have tried to get in lately are not smackoff caliber.

Please don't take this as anti-Canada.  I love Canada and Canadian people in general.  It would be great if a strong Canadian caller broke into the jungle.  It just hasn't happened yet.

Hedstrom

• -Nutter-
  • Born and Raised in South Detroit
    • hedstrombacon
    • @hedstrombacon
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2016, 06:59:19 am »
Working on going from twitter to the phone. Will see if Austin will let me have a vine next week

Go for it brother. I got your back.  referee2

I'm going to give it a few weeks and if there's nothing will call back and try again myself.
Miami DolphinsCalgary Flames

Hedstrom

• -Nutter-
  • Born and Raised in South Detroit
    • hedstrombacon
    • @hedstrombacon
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2016, 07:06:37 am »
I'm racking my brain trying to think of a better Canadian caller than Erin in Ottawa.  She had good sports takes and solid smack.  She wasn't ever going to win a smackoff, but she definitely earned her invite.  I'm sure there have been great calls from Canada, and definitely great emailers, texters and tweeters, but no great regular callers.  Unless of course you count Greg in Vegas, who is Canadian.

As of right now, there are no Canadian callers who belong in the smackoff, and I hope Rome doesn't let one in just for the sake of having Canadian representation.  If someone comes out of nowhere with the kind of game to actually win, ok, fine.  Otherwise it's just going to take up time.  Lately the smackoff has usually included at least a few filler calls that never had a chance to win, and I guess it wouldn't be a big deal if Rome used some of that time to play up the Canadian angle.  It just feels way too contrived.  Everyone listening knows that the Canadian callers who have tried to get in lately are not smackoff caliber.

Please don't take this as anti-Canada.  I love Canada and Canadian people in general.  It would be great if a strong Canadian caller broke into the jungle.  It just hasn't happened yet.

:beer  +9

Couldn't agree more. Nobody wants to have a participation trophy entrant from here if it's just going to waste time. I'd much rather hear a legit someone go a little longer than have a seat filler in the mix. As far as it being contrived, I disagree. They picked the date and it just so happen to be Canada Day. That whole thing just fell in their lap IMHO. Frankly I expected them to play up the July 4th angle more. Rome has always showed Canada respect and he continues to do so here. But did they plan this? I don't buy that at all.
Miami DolphinsCalgary Flames

Steve in HTown

• -Admin-
    • stucknut
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2016, 08:08:15 am »

:drink
Texas LonghornsHouston AstrosHouston RocketsCleveland Browns

wabashcr

• -Member-
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2016, 09:33:59 am »
As far as it being contrived, I disagree. They picked the date and it just so happen to be Canada Day. That whole thing just fell in their lap IMHO. Frankly I expected them to play up the July 4th angle more. Rome has always showed Canada respect and he continues to do so here. But did they plan this? I don't buy that at all.

I don't think they picked July 1 for the smackoff so they could play up the Canada Day angle.  I do think since the smackoff is that day, they're trying to make Canadian participation a bigger issue than it really is.  I don't think the majority of listeners care much about the US/Canada border skirmish anymore, at least not like they used to.  And likewise, I don't think most listeners care if there are Canadian callers represented in the smackoff.  It feels like this is heading toward Rome putting in a Canadian caller or two, hyping them up to try to generate interest in a storyline that nobody really cares about, and then it fizzling out in the event itself.  If it uncovers a great Canadian caller, of course that's a good thing.  But great callers usually surface organically.  So I'm skeptical.

Steve in HTown

• -Admin-
    • stucknut
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2016, 09:44:19 am »
they didn't realize it was Canada Day when they planned it.

an emailer brought it up right after the announcement.
Texas LonghornsHouston AstrosHouston RocketsCleveland Browns

Beavis in KC

• -Nutter-
  • What the fvck are you looking at?
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2016, 03:29:54 pm »
Candian calls peaked with the star linebacker.
Kansas St. WildcatsKansas City RoyalsGolden State WarriorsKansas City ChiefsDetroit Red Wings
2016 Stucknut Member of the Year