Author Topic: World Cup of Hockey  (Read 2126 times)

Boges

• qwnt
  • -Nutter-
World Cup of Hockey
« on: September 07, 2016, 04:52:32 pm »
I think the Four Letter is showing this in US America.

https://www.nhl.com/news/world-cup-of-hockey-rosters/c-280810684

This tournament is stupid!

It's not a World Cup at all when you only have 6 nations competing and two Assembled teams to fill out the minimum 8 teams required. North American Young Guns and Other Euros are just teams built by the NHLPA.

They think they can do this now because the next two Winter Olympics are in South Asia and the chances of getting the NHL and NHLPA to agree to go there are kind of low.

Why not let Latvia, Belarus, Germany, Switzerland or whoever else compete for the final two spots? So what if you will have less NHLers playing, you'll actually have the best Canadian and American roster possible. And maybe the lesser nations pull an upset like the Swiss in 2006 or Belarus in 2002. Only like 2 or 3 teams have a realistic shot of winning the World Cup in Soccer, doesn't stop teams from trying to qualify.

I don't imagine I'll feel much national pride if/when Canaduh wins.

GO FINLAND!!!!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 05:00:11 pm by Boges »
Toronto Blue JaysMiami Dolphins
what?

Club America

• I'm Misery Company
  • -Tards-
  • Things get damaged, things get broken.
Re: World Cup of Hockey
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 06:29:30 pm »
 SaladTosser
Arkansas RazorbacksLos Angeles DodgersDenver BroncosColorado Avalanche
fvck off

Learjet89

• -Nutter-
  • -Fact Checker-
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 06:34:20 pm »

Torts gets it
Xavier MusketeersCincinnati RedsCincinnati Bengals

Club America

• I'm Misery Company
  • -Tards-
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 06:49:59 pm »
Rack, that pyscho
fvck off

frankinhouston

• -Member-
    • @harryhooper8
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 07:38:48 pm »
I think the Four Letter is showing this in US America.

https://www.nhl.com/news/world-cup-of-hockey-rosters/c-280810684

This tournament is stupid!

It's not a World Cup at all when you only have 6 nations competing and two Assembled teams to fill out the minimum 8 teams required. North American Young Guns and Other Euros are just teams built by the NHLPA.

They think they can do this now because the next two Winter Olympics are in South Asia and the chances of getting the NHL and NHLPA to agree to go there are kind of low.

Why not let Latvia, Belarus, Germany, Switzerland or whoever else compete for the final two spots? So what if you will have less NHLers playing, you'll actually have the best Canadian and American roster possible. And maybe the lesser nations pull an upset like the Swiss in 2006 or Belarus in 2002. Only like 2 or 3 teams have a realistic shot of winning the World Cup in Soccer, doesn't stop teams from trying to qualify.

I don't imagine I'll feel much national pride if/when Canaduh wins.

GO FINLAND!!!!

thanks Mikey, now try participating in a relevant thread you pussy

f
Texas A&M AggiesHouston AstrosHouston RocketsHouston Texans

Bagels

• Don Postwhoreleone
  • -Nutter-
  • How u durrrrin?
    • Mikeinthaville
    • @mikeybagels1
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 08:39:34 pm »
Frank, that was "Boges"...I am "Bagels"...hope this helps

-m

Btw :lol @ "relevant thread"
Auburn TigersAtlanta BravesMemphis GrizzliesTennessee TitansNashville Predators
Used to be we were all fvcking post whores.  Didn't matter what the topic was, we whored the fvck out of it.

Boges

• qwnt
  • -Nutter-
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2016, 07:12:17 am »
Dyslexiainhtown
what?

Hedstrom

• -Nutter-
  • Born and Raised in South Detroit
    • hedstrombacon
    • @hedstrombacon
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2016, 09:30:05 am »
It's an invitational tournament that actually started in 1976 as the Canada Cup. The main goal was...and still is...to showcase the best players in the world, which I think it does.

Unlike the World Championships which take place in the spring while NHL playoffs are also taking place, the opportunity for the best players in the world to play in a single tournament is actually a reality here.

The argument that more nations should be involved is a weak one based simply on the demographic of player breakdown in the NHL by country:

http://www.tsn.ca/canadians-do-not-make-up-the-majority-of-nhl-players-this-season-1.380861

Team N. America allows for the younger stars in the U.S. and Canada that are left out from representing their respective teams due to the simple roster number restriction.

As well, Team Europe includes players from Slovakia, Switzerland, Germany, Norway, Denmark, France, Slovenia and Austria.

Although the title "World Cup of Hockey" may be controversial, this format is as close to a true World Tournament as the game can present. To call it a "fake tournament" is simply an ignorant and uninformed opinion.

Miami DolphinsCalgary Flames

Boges

• qwnt
  • -Nutter-
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2016, 09:40:25 am »
What's wrong with the 1996 and 2004 model where they used multiple cities.

This tournament is only being played in Toronto and the goal was to get as many NHLers as possible. It does nothing to broaden the sport internationally.

They should go back to the name Canada Cup, it makes more sense.

I'm not sure about the end game here. What if one of these Fake teams manage to win? Who's cheering for them? And if they flame out, what was the harm to let Slovakia and the Swiss field a team?

It's just a nod to the NHLPA and NHL because they make nothing on the Olympics, which is the real international tournament people care about. But they don't want to go to Korea and China in 2018 and 2022.
what?

Boges

• qwnt
  • -Nutter-
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2016, 09:53:08 am »
It would be like if FIFA said, because no nation outside of Europe or South America has ever won a World Cup; North America, Africa and Asia would field All-star teams in the next World Cup to face Brazil, Argentina, England, Germany, Uruguay, Spain and France.
what?

Hedstrom

• -Nutter-
    • hedstrombacon
    • @hedstrombacon
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2016, 09:53:52 am »
What's wrong with the 1996 and 2004 model where they used multiple cities.

This tournament is only being played in Toronto and the goal was to get as many NHLers as possible. It does nothing to broaden the sport internationally.

They should go back to the name Canada Cup, it makes more sense.

I'm not sure about the end game here. What if one of these Fake teams manage to win? Who's cheering for them? And if they flame out, what was the harm to let Slovakia and the Swiss field a team?

It's just a nod to the NHLPA and NHL because they make nothing on the Olympics, which is the real international tournament people care about. But they don't want to go to Korea and China in 2018 and 2022.

With all due respect, WTF are you ranting about? "World Tourneys" in other sports are hosted in one location.

All adding B and C level teams does is waste time. I don't want to see meaningless blowout games. It's a privilege to see these players at the height of their careers, fresh after a break between seasons. Who gives a flying fvck about promoting the game in areas that don't give a flying fvck about the game. (ie. see the history of hockey in Atlanta, Phoenix, Southern Florida....etc) You're bitching about something that has nothing to do with this tournament.

Boges

• qwnt
  • -Nutter-
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2016, 09:56:01 am »
With all due respect, WTF are you ranting about? "World Tourneys" in other sports are hosted in one location.

All adding B and C level teams does is waste time. I don't want to see meaningless blowout games. It's a privilege to see these players at the height of their careers, fresh after a break between seasons. Who gives a flying fvck about promoting the game in areas that don't give a flying fvck about the game. (ie. see the history of hockey in Atlanta, Phoenix, Southern Florida....etc) You're bitching about something that has nothing to do with this tournament.

It didn't in the Olympics when Latvia gave Canada all they could handle last Olympics or in 2002 when Belarus actually beat the Sweden team that destroyed Canada. OR when the Swiss beat Canada in 2006 then took them to a shootout in 2010. Slovakia made it to the Semi's in 2010 and gave Canada a game of it.

Upsets happen in International Hockey.
what?

Hedstrom

• -Nutter-
    • hedstrombacon
    • @hedstrombacon
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2016, 10:10:42 am »
It didn't in the Olympics when Latvia gave Canada all they could handle last Olympics or in 2002 when Belarus actually beat the Sweden team that destroyed Canada. OR when the Swiss beat Canada in 2006 then took them to a shootout in 2010. Slovakia made it to the Semi's in 2010 and gave Canada a game of it.

Upsets happen in International Hockey.

Anomalies. How long do you expect this tournament to last so that all these countries can be represented? 4, 6...8 weeks? Your argument is unrealistic and above all...misdirected. The best players in the world will be playing. That's what this tournament is about. I agree...calling it a "World Cup" is a bit of a stretch. If they called it "Best Players in the World Cup" would you be happy? I think you're missing the point of this whole thing.

Rob in VB

• Masticater
  • -Nutter-
  • Zamboni Pilot
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2016, 10:12:43 am »
Great discussion, guys.

Georgetown HoyasNew York MetsNew York KnicksDallas CowboysWashington Capitals

Club America

• I'm Misery Company
  • -Tards-
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2016, 10:17:56 am »
fvck you, Sally in VB
fvck off