Author Topic: Do you like Phil Collins?  (Read 232 times)

Joe in EastVan

• If you read this, you're gay!
  • Mod
  • Genesis 19:30-35
Do you like Phil Collins?
« on: May 22, 2017, 11:45:37 pm »
I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent.

I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism.

Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock.  Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist.

This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.

Stab

• Morally Flexible
  • -Nutter-
  • Flat Sun Denier
Re: Do you like Phil Collins?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 04:49:15 am »
Do you have a business card?
Wisconsin BadgersMilwaukee BrewersMilwaukee BucksGreen Bay Packers
All-Time Leading Champion of All-Time #1 Nutcoin Champion in teh USA of American

Club America

• I'm Misery Company
  • -Tards-
  • Things get damaged, things get broken.
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 06:48:14 am »
I do not like Phil Collins. :koolaid
Arkansas RazorbacksLos Angeles DodgersDenver BroncosColorado Avalanche
fvck off

Hedstrom

• -Nutter-
  • Born and Raised in South Detroit
    • hedstrombacon
    • @hedstrombacon
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 06:53:20 am »
I became a fan of Genesis listening to Three Sides Live over and over again which is a compilation of live performances from the Duke and Abacab tours and a few studio tracks. Then I got in to Collins' solo stuff. Somewhere in there the self titled Genesis album came out.

When No Jacket Required blew up, the whole Miami Vice vibe was going on....Collins became a mega star. I think the whole thing jumped the shark with Invisible Touch. Not sure the album would have been as big as it was without the recent, even parallel success of Collins' solo career.

Better check your facts though...I believe Mike Rutherford wrote the lyrics to "Land of Confusion".  :uhh
Miami DolphinsCalgary Flames

frankinhouston

• -Member-
    • @harryhooper8
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 05:00:05 pm »
genesis and phil collins are both pretty gud. i don't want to say genesis was better with peter gabriel, but i would prolly lean that way. collins solo career was great, as was peter gabriel's. too many variables, hahaha.

f

Joe in EastVan

• If you read this, you're gay!
  • Mod
  • Genesis 19:30-35
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 05:53:24 pm »

RC in CMinn

• -Member-
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 06:42:53 pm »
Genesis and like shit band music in the 80s sounded the same. How much of it gets play now on classic stations? None when demos with money are listening.

Stab

• Morally Flexible
  • -Nutter-
  • Flat Sun Denier
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 07:56:57 pm »
JFC.. Probably the best thing Joe has ever poated and not one of you get it.  :lol

Wisconsin BadgersMilwaukee BrewersMilwaukee BucksGreen Bay Packers
All-Time Leading Champion of All-Time #1 Nutcoin Champion in teh USA of American

Club America

• I'm Misery Company
  • -Tards-
  • Things get damaged, things get broken.
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2017, 06:30:42 am »
JFC.. Probably the best thing Joe has ever poated and not one of you get it.  :lol

Its not Mr. Roper.
Arkansas RazorbacksLos Angeles DodgersDenver BroncosColorado Avalanche
fvck off

frankinhouston

• -Member-
    • @harryhooper8
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2017, 07:15:46 pm »
Its not Mr. Roper.

did you say ripper??? 

f

Toss My Salad