Author Topic: How are defensive plays called?  (Read 686 times)

podateda

• 39saku_chan
How are defensive plays called?
« on: June 27, 2018, 12:36:56 am »
First things first, I'm an ignorant European who follows the NFL, but who doesn't have a great grasp of the game itself. So, please be nice... :)

I was watching some random clips of great plays, and it occured to me - it seems relatively easy to decide what play to run when on offence, but what kind of thought process goes into selecting defensive plays? What I mean - is there really anything to it other than luck and knowledge of the other team's tendencies in a particular situation? I get that there are some common sense things, but how would you select a defensive play if it's 14-14 at 12:55 in the 3rd quarter and the ball is at the halfway line?

Steve in HTown

• -Admin-
    • stucknut
Re: How are defensive plays called?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 07:47:37 am »
it's pure luck, every time
Texas LonghornsHouston AstrosHouston RocketsCleveland Browns

J - Dog

• -Member-
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 10:09:36 am »
See ball, Get ball. It's pretty simple actually.
Washington St. CougarsSeattle MarinersPortland Trail BlazersSeattle Seahawks

Steve in HTown

• -Admin-
    • stucknut
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2018, 10:13:42 am »
podateda, can you get us good deals on Nike Jordan shoes?

Justin NoCal

• Dickpuss Penegor, PhD.
  • -Nutter-
  • leave the gun, take the cannolis
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2018, 10:32:05 am »
Very carefully
California Golden BearsSan Francisco GiantsSacramento KingsWashington Redskins
Elevate, excavate, eliminate.

Steve in HTown

• -Admin-
    • stucknut
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2018, 11:08:09 am »
There are only 4 plays to prepare for.

jeff in tucson

• puts the "semen" in amusement :koolaid
  • -Nutter-
    • sb1070supporter
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2018, 06:16:43 am »
First off, it's offense, not offence, and it's the 50, not the halfway line. That said, the situation you described, 14-14 with 12:55 in the 3rd, both teams wouldn't be concerned with play and clock management at that time. Tie game with a half of football to go.

What O&DC's do is spend days before the game going over film of the next opponent and look for tendencies and weaknesses. Great players do the same. Alot of these coaches and players are familiar with each other through coaching/playing together in the past, and that comes into play too. If a DC has a stud DT and the next opponent has a mediocre or backup OT, the DC might slide him out to DE for that game to exploit that advantage. Howie Long used to play all 5 DL positions over the course of a game depending on the matchup or situation.

If a defense can gendrate good pressure with just their line, that's a HUGE advantage in an obvious passing situation. Say it's 10-10 with 0:50 left and the offense is on their 20, they want to try and kick a field goal to have the lead at the half. If they have all 3 time outs they can use the middle of the field but if not they will be relegated to sideline throws. Clock will keep running if a catch is made and the receiver doesn't get out of bounds. So if the DL can generate good pressure, the DC will most likely keep the same personnel on the field, or he might put in a nickel package, i.e. pull out a LB and insert an extra DB for better passing coverage. Offenses can kind of do the same thing but it's not as diverse as what a defense can do. All they can do really is insert WR's for RB's in passing situations. Some teams insert what they call the Wildcat formation in certain situation where the QB splits out and a TE or RB lines up behind center, I personally think it's an abortion buy some teams like it. Or ina short yardage situation 3rd and 1, 4th and 1, some OC's will insert a "jumbo" package, or sub extra O lineman for TE's and overload one side of the line. But, the guy on the end has to report to the official as an eligible receiver or they can be flagged for illegal formation.

It just takes time dude. There's tons of vids on youtube you can check out, both game and instructional. But if you really want to learn the game, when the season starts, watch at home with as few distractions as possible. Don't go to a sports bar with tons of obnoxious beered up retards screaming at dozens of flat screens. Also listen to the commentators, most are former players and coaches who know the game inside out.
Arizona WildcatsArizona DiamondbacksPhoenix SunsDallas CowboysPhoenix Coyotes

JungleSlayer

• Ima Mushroom Cloud Laying Mutha Fugger, Mutha Fugger.
  • -Nutter-
  • Strange and Unusual
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2018, 08:29:28 am »
Always watch the guards feet at the snap.  That tells you the direction the play is going, save for misdirection plays and some bootlegs. 

Jeff made a great point about game planning and deployment of strengths and coverage of weaknesses.  We had a saying in the navy called the rule of the 6 P's:  Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 04:24:44 pm by JungleSlayer »

Fomunda Cheesehead

• White Trash Biker Scumbag
  • -Nutter-
  • Loud Pipes Save Lives
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2018, 03:47:35 pm »
"I was watching some random clips of great plays, and it occured to me - it seems relatively easy to decide what play to run when on offence"

It's not. watch more game clips. Maybe not random ones either. Or like what JIT said.  A lot of great big plays happen when just merely trying to pick up a 3rd and 2. Boom, he's through and 40 yards later he's dancing. Watch an entire 60-80 yard sustained drive to really see how an OC gameplans vs a defense. Then watch some failed drives, 3 and outs to see what the defense did to shut them down or if it was just poor execution from the offense.
Wisconsin BadgersMilwaukee BrewersGreen Bay PackersBoston Bruins
Motorcycle Clubs are not Street Gangs ~ Support your local Motorcycle Rights Organization

Nicki

• -Member-
  • "Enjoy yourself, its later than you think"
    • Nicki@not_a_catchDez
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2018, 04:40:44 pm »
First things first, I'm an ignorant European who follows the NFL, but who doesn't have a great grasp of the game itself. So, please be nice... :)

I was watching some random clips of great plays, and it occured to me - it seems relatively easy to decide what play to run when on offence, but what kind of thought process goes into selecting defensive plays? What I mean - is there really anything to it other than luck and knowledge of the other team's tendencies in a particular situation? I get that there are some common sense things, but how would you select a defensive play if it's 14-14 at 12:55 in the 3rd quarter and the ball is at the halfway line?

I'm guessing you do not have a dime package.
Green Bay Packers

Bill_in_Phoenix

• -Member-
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2018, 11:02:32 am »
There's a British amateur football league which runs a message board about rules and strategy and all that.

The BBC also posts lots of videos in advance of the annual football games that arrive overseas.
Western Michigan BroncosSt. Louis CardinalsPhoenix SunsSt Louis Blues
Get off my lawn

poptart

• -Member-
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2018, 07:05:55 pm »
I'm guessing you do not have a dime package.

I remember buying dime bags when I was in college.

Steve in HTown

• -Admin-
    • stucknut
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2018, 07:10:40 pm »
I remember buying dime bags when I was in college.

From the five and dime?

J - Dog

• -Member-
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2018, 07:45:44 pm »
Just YouTube Seahawks Defense... :popcorn

Washington St. CougarsSeattle MarinersPortland Trail BlazersSeattle Seahawks

RC in CMinn

• -Member-
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2018, 06:42:50 pm »
American football is a TV reality show designed to give dropout balck men a lot of money and opportunities to screw fat white women with red hair and slap the piss out of they wife/ho/bitch.

Don't be confused by probability, down and situation as that is a scam.