Author Topic: Poker Etiquette?  (Read 379 times)

Moodell

• International Brotherhood of Geniuses Local 163
  • -Nutter-
  • "Life is too serious to be taken seriously."
Poker Etiquette?
« on: July 29, 2018, 11:29:47 am »
First time in my many years and thousands of poker games played that I've ever heard this...

Played in a casual Texas hold 'em neighborhood game last night, bourbon and $20 buy-in. Six players and the host and two other guys vote to not increase the blinds.   ::)  I don't want to rock the boat at this dude's house so I go along with the pussy rules. We basically play "merry-go-round" poker for 3-1/2 hours except one dude who bets on everything and goes out after his second buy-in. The rest of us are basically hanging around, waiting to take a shot. My hole cards have been shit all night though I manage to hit a couple of decent pots to give me a slight stack advantage. After four hours, we decide to go once more around the table, then cash out. I'm to the left of the big blind and the host is dealing. I get 7/9 suited, call the pot and one guy drops. Flop goes 2-6-8 unsuited, everybody checks. A K gets flipped on the turn, again, unsuited with the three flop cards so no flush is possible. Everybody checks again. The river card is a 5 of diamonds giving me a straight, blinds check to me, then I check to the dealer/host. This dude hasn't bet more than $2.00 worth of chips all night. He bets $5.00 so I know he probably has trip 5s. I proceed to push all-in. After he gives me a death stare, he counts his chips and pushes all of his chips in. I show him my straight, he shows his trip 5s and proceeds to lecture me on how check/raising is "bad etiquette in a "friendly" game. I was fvcking flabbergasted...I have never heard this before. The guy told me I will not be invited back to his house for future games. Good!  :lol

Anyone think check/raising is bad etiquette? I mean, it's fvcking poker for crying out loud.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 11:31:40 am by Moodell »
Ohio St. BuckeyesCleveland IndiansCleveland CavaliersIndianapolis ColtsColumbus Blue Jackets
Progressives gnaw away at the pillars of our society as if they were  termites chewing on wood.

Dog

• -Nutter-
  • The Anti-Nutter
Re: Poker Etiquette?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 01:29:08 pm »
That is some pussy poker. 
Boise St. BroncosChicago CubsBoston CelticsMiami Dolphins

Beavis in KC

• -Nutter-
  • What the fvck are you looking at?
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 01:46:13 pm »
Going home with someone else's money in your wallet isn't very nice either.
Kansas St. WildcatsKansas City RoyalsGolden State WarriorsKansas City ChiefsDetroit Red Wings
2016 Stucknut Member of the Year

RC in CMinn

• -Member-
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2018, 02:08:36 pm »
Hope you clogged his shitter on the way out.

Ralph In Orlando

• Globetard Killer
  • -Nutter-
  • Its Real To Me
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2018, 06:08:27 pm »
Hayta, I like you, but TL

Blinds not raised in cash game? Not pussy.
Not being able to check raise? Pussy.

Duke Blue DevilsNew York MetsNew York KnicksNew York GiantsNew York Rangers
{:: - You Bark, I Bite - ::}

jeff in tucson

• puts the "semen" in amusement :koolaid
  • -Nutter-
    • sb1070supporter
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2018, 08:49:16 pm »
Dude was mad cuz he lost. I'm sure he wouldn't say a damn thing if he won
Arizona WildcatsArizona DiamondbacksPhoenix SunsDallas CowboysPhoenix Coyotes

Bill_in_Phoenix

• -Member-
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2018, 09:56:53 pm »
Lol...Jeff said "friendly" and "death stare" about a poker game.  Sounds like said host has a passive/aggressive complex.  Or maybe herpes simplex. :popcorn

Poker is another activity that we can use less of on TV.  Unless it's being played in a smoky room with guys who might or might not be carrying concealed weapons.  Somewhat similar to "The World Series Of Dice" that Chappelle did.
Western Michigan BroncosSt. Louis CardinalsPhoenix SunsSt Louis Blues
Get off my lawn

Club America

• I'm Misery Company
  • -Tards-
  • Things get damaged, things get broken.
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2018, 09:53:59 pm »
First time in my many years and thousands of poker games played that I've ever heard this...

Played in a casual Texas hold 'em neighborhood game last night, bourbon and $20 buy-in. Six players and the host and two other guys vote to not increase the blinds.   ::)  I don't want to rock the boat at this dude's house so I go along with the pussy rules. We basically play "merry-go-round" poker for 3-1/2 hours except one dude who bets on everything and goes out after his second buy-in. The rest of us are basically hanging around, waiting to take a shot. My hole cards have been shit all night though I manage to hit a couple of decent pots to give me a slight stack advantage. After four hours, we decide to go once more around the table, then cash out. I'm to the left of the big blind and the host is dealing. I get 7/9 suited, call the pot and one guy drops. Flop goes 2-6-8 unsuited, everybody checks. A K gets flipped on the turn, again, unsuited with the three flop cards so no flush is possible. Everybody checks again. The river card is a 5 of diamonds giving me a straight, blinds check to me, then I check to the dealer/host. This dude hasn't bet more than $2.00 worth of chips all night. He bets $5.00 so I know he probably has trip 5s. I proceed to push all-in. After he gives me a death stare, he counts his chips and pushes all of his chips in. I show him my straight, he shows his trip 5s and proceeds to lecture me on how check/raising is "bad etiquette in a "friendly" game. I was fvcking flabbergasted...I have never heard this before. The guy told me I will not be invited back to his house for future games. Good!  :lol

Anyone think check/raising is bad etiquette? I mean, it's fvcking poker for crying out loud.

Wat
Arkansas RazorbacksLos Angeles DodgersDenver BroncosColorado Avalanche
fvck off