Author Topic: Rome and Soccer  (Read 1617 times)

mrodge in Nashville

• -Member-
    • @mrogerson
Rome and Soccer
« on: July 12, 2019, 09:14:15 am »
Clones-

I am really getting tired of Rome talking about soccer. I’m so glad that I listen to the show via podcast because I was able to FFWD through the first 15 minutes of yesterday’s opening hour. I also think it’s pretty hilarious that he reads billboards for the WNBA on the show after killing it all these years. Notice that Jeff in SD isn’t able to get passed the buzzer with his awesome WNBA takes anymore? As Vance would say, “What a coinkydink...”

He used to say that he came around on the “Left Turn Circuit” and horse racing but he’d never change his mind on soccer...

I understand his partnership with CBS. But the show has lost its edge and is glaring now more than ever. The same guy that would make fun of soccer for 20 minutes is now stroking the US Female Soccer team and fawning over the men’s soccer coach... Is he going to start talking and interviewing the WNBA now too? Rome is right- the show was so much better back in the day.

Is anyone else disappointed in this progression? Honestly, the best part of the show are the callers, emailers and tweets. Always try to listen live but rarely get the chance. I did hear the Smack Off live and  to see if I get read and got a shout during the Smack Off and a tweet on TV by NYC.

@mrogerson on Twitter
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 09:22:11 am by mrodge in Nashville »
New York Yankees
Proud alumnus and member of Villanova University \V/ NovaNation

VicNocal

• NFL Pool Champ
  • -Member-
  • My brand > Your brand
    • vicnocal
Re: Rome and Soccer
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2019, 09:24:13 am »
Tome was better X years ago.
California Golden BearsChicago BullsChicago Bears
Invariably this Wednesday when I go to Chic Fil A, the woman will ask if the money I left on the counter is mine, and I'll smile and say, "No its yours". - B.P. in Houston

Steve in HTown

• -Admin-
    • stucknut
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 10:13:28 am »
He's trying to reach a larger audience.  No big deal.  Keep fast-forwarding.

But if you listened, he clearly stated that he's always been a big fan of soccer.  Not sure where you got your bad intel.
Texas LonghornsMiami MarlinsSacramento KingsCleveland Browns

jeff in tucson

• puts the "semen" in amusement :koolaid
  • -Nutter-
    • sb1070supporter
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 10:15:19 am »
He was kinda sorta mayyyyybe coming around a little back when he and Eric Winalda (sp?) were boys, but then Winny threw Roam under the bus during some interview and then came on the jungle after and Roam called him out on it on the show. He sputtered and backtracked and basically shit the bed. And ever since I dont believe they've spoken and he's gone full tilt back to his soccer hating. I personally love soccer and would like to see it become a topic on the show, but its never going to happen so I dont waste anytime wishing for it. I suggest you do the same  :koolaid
Arizona WildcatsArizona DiamondbacksPhoenix SunsDallas CowboysPhoenix Coyotes

mrodge in Nashville

• -Member-
    • @mrogerson
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2019, 03:51:16 pm »
He's trying to reach a larger audience.  No big deal.  Keep fast-forwarding.

But if you listened, he clearly stated that he's always been a big fan of soccer.  Not sure where you got your bad intel.

I always took that as sarcasm (unless I’m missing your sarcasm...). In the same way as CAAF or the “every father wants their daughters” joke. Listened a long time and haven’t heard any talk until more recently.

I understand the larger audience logic. Obviously, I’m turning into “it was so much better back in the day” guy...
New York Yankees

handsomebrady65

• handsomebrady65
  • -Tards-
    • brady_baylis
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2019, 09:36:51 am »
Rome's an ugly old (fifty-five Oct.14,same as Joe Girardi ) dwarfbro who hasn't been remotely cool in 20 years !!!!!
Texas LonghornsDetroit TigersDetroit PistonsDetroit LionsDetroit Red Wings

Steve in HTown

• -Admin-
    • stucknut
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2019, 10:25:21 am »
So what brings you to a Rome fan site?
Texas LonghornsMiami MarlinsSacramento KingsCleveland Browns

handsomebrady65

• handsomebrady65
  • -Tards-
    • brady_baylis
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2019, 10:26:58 am »
I sometimes listen to Jimbo,Stevie,but I haven't called him yet !!!!
Texas LonghornsDetroit TigersDetroit PistonsDetroit LionsDetroit Red Wings

El_Bastardo

• stucknut - join the alliance!
  • -Tards-
  • AmerISIS
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2019, 10:42:53 am »
The callers/emailers are absolutely way worse than they used to be. Clone 2.0, or whatever they call themselves, are a bunch of dumbasses.

Rome, the man himself, has always been a minuscule total dork masquerading as a cool guy. I got no problem with that. He's still entertaining enough.

U.S.Gay

VicNocal

• NFL Pool Champ
  • -Member-
  • My brand > Your brand
    • vicnocal
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2019, 09:14:31 pm »
Rome's an ugly old (fifty-five Oct.14,same as Joe Girardi ) dwarfbro who hasn't been remotely cool in 20 years !!!!!

Roahm was only 41 when I first started calling him :-0
Invariably this Wednesday when I go to Chic Fil A, the woman will ask if the money I left on the counter is mine, and I'll smile and say, "No its yours". - B.P. in Houston

Front Porch

• Rat bastard
  • -Security-
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2019, 09:50:30 pm »
you were late to the party. 

VicNocal

• NFL Pool Champ
  • -Member-
  • My brand > Your brand
    • vicnocal
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2019, 05:20:32 pm »
First time I really called him was May of 2000 (Ive tried getting Alvin to search the archives for that call), which means he was only 35. That was 3 shades of his goatee ago.

mrodge in Nashville

• -Member-
    • @mrogerson
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2019, 04:21:00 pm »
I’ll tell you- that interview with the lady on the US Women’s National Soccer team Friday was the best soccer interview I’ve ever heard!
New York Yankees

frankinhouston

• -Member-
  • Hello!
    • @harryhooper8
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2019, 04:57:47 pm »
i'm not a big soccer fan, but have grown to be able to watch because of magda's family in MX.

I will tell you 1 thing, they don't stop the fvcking game (clock stoppage) for fvcking advertisements like sports here in the USA. that is admirable.

f
Texas A&M AggiesHouston AstrosHouston RocketsHouston Texans

mrodge in Nashville

• -Member-
    • @mrogerson
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2019, 06:40:55 pm »
i'm not a big soccer fan, but have grown to be able to watch because of magda's family in MX.

I will tell you 1 thing, they don't stop the fvcking game (clock stoppage) for fvcking advertisements like sports here in the USA. that is admirable.

f

I’ll be honest- I’ll take commercials over jerseys with WalMart or Fedex all over them. That’s just weird.
New York Yankees