Author Topic: 2019 Oakland Raiders  (Read 614 times)

wireman

• -Nutter-
2019 Oakland Raiders
« on: September 03, 2019, 02:28:46 pm »
Last year this time RaiderNation was still in shock over Khalil Mack being traded just over 72 hours ago.  The season was worse as the they went 4-12 garnering the pick #4 in the draft.  2019 should be better (I hope) not talking playoff better but, win total better.

Front Office- Before the end of the 2018 season, GM Reggie McKenzie was fired as the Raiders wanted to go in a different direction.  I'll give McKenzie a lot of credit because he got the Raiders out of salary cap hell and put them on the road to get better players.  However, John Gruden obviously wanted someone else and that someone else is Mike Mayock.  We'll see how well these two work together.

Offense:

The offense ranked 23rd averaging 18 points per game.  With upgrades at the skill positions this should be a better offense year for the Raiders.

QB - Derek Carr had an up and down season last year (19 tds 10 ints) and w/out a consistent wr on the roster it showed.  He is expected to have a much better season given the weapons that are now at his disposal.
Mike Glennon & DeShone Kizer are the backups (Nate Peterman is currently on IR)

RB - Marshawn Lynch & Doug Martin are officially gone (Gruden coaxed Lynch to come back for one last season last year) and the Raiders.  They barely averaged 100 yards per game (101.8 to be exact) some of the blame could be placed on the rb's themselves (old) as well the o-line (coach) either way it was a pitiful attack.  Enter in Josh Jacobs (Bears' pick for Mack) who was the only rb taken in the 1st rd.  He's a pass catching rb who has speed & power.  He'll probably be in the running for Offensive ROY.  Jalen Richard & DeAndre Washington are the backups.  Alex Ingold is the FB

WR's - Arguably one of the top 5 wr's in Antonio Brown joined the Raiders via trade w/the Steelers (for a 2019 3rd rounder) on 3/13.  This obviously came out of nowhere as the Bills were thought to be his destination but, he killed the deal.  They then signed Tyrell Williams late of the Bolts.  This gives the Raiders a nice outside wr tandem.  Hunter Renfrow (2019 5th rounder) is projected to be the starting slot receiver.

TE's - Gone is last years leading receiver in Jared Cook (going to catch passes from Brees).  Because of the upgrade at the wr position it wasn't as big a blow.  The current te is Darren Waller who only caught 6 balls last year; expect an uptick in his production. 

O-Line - The Raiders made Super Bowl winning T Trent Brown a rich man by signing him to protect Carr's right side (last years #1 pick Kolton Miller is pegged in at LT).  Center Rodney Houston (one of the best in the NFL) just signed a new contract as well.  Richie Incognitio (yes that one) is in @ LG while the injured Gabe Jackson (he should be back by week 6 if not sooner) is the RG.

Defense

The #13 is typically thought to be unlucky.  For the Raiders it was better than 12 because that's the # of sacks they had all of last year.  16 games...13 sacks.  This side of the ball ranked #32.  With a turnover rate of -7 an upgrade was needed.   

D-Line - The d-line couldn't generate any kind of pressure consistently which allowed most opposing qb's to absolutely torch the Raiders.  Hopefully, through FA and the draft things will be a little different this season.  Clelin Ferrell (rd 1/#4) is hopefully going to help pass rushing attack.  Fresh off him helping Clemson winning another natty, he going to be thrown straight into the fire.  Josh Mauro who was w/the Giants last year is on the other side.  Keep an eye out for rookie Maxx Crosby. PJ Hall & Johnathan Hankins get the nod @ DT's although I suspect that Maurice Hurst could be in the starting line-up before seasons end.  This unit is looking to not only be better run stuffers but, collapse the pocket for opposing qb's.

LB's - One name two words: Vontaez Burfict.  One of the dirtiest players in recent NFL history is now w/the Silver & Black (Al would be proud  :lol).  Burfict is a good player who knows d-coordinator's Guenther system very well (from Cincy).  If he can keep his head on straight tho.... .  Unfortunately, the Raiders didn't draft a linebacker (heavy on CB's and DE's) and this unit could be the weak link on the defense.

DB's - Gareon Conley showed flashes last year and covered the oppositions #1 receiver.  Opposite him is Daryl Worley.  Karl Joseph; to my surprise is still around.  My sources  :uhh had him leaving the Raiders this offseason after being in Grudens dog house.  However he looks to have gotten himself out (he played well down the stretch last season) and is back in his good graces.  Johnathan Abram (rd 1 #27) the rookie from Mississippi St. is a thumper and like Ferrell is being thrown right into the fire.  Lamarcus Joyner signed after spending the previous 5 years w/the Rams.

Outlook - The Raiders again have one of the if not the toughest schedule in the league.  In addition to playoff teams in the divisiion (Bolts/Chiefs) they have the Bears (hi Khalil!), Colts and Texans. They play 5 straight games away from Oakland beginning w/the Vikings 9/22 and ending w/the Texans 10/27.  Sandwiched in they go to Indy, London to play Da Bears (a "home" game :uhh >:( ) & Packers. 

With all the upgrades I don't think the Raiders will be able to get over the hump to make the playoffs.  Winning the division is going to take a lot of luck because of the Chiefs & Bolts.  Even if the wild card were to come into play they would probably need to beat out the following:

Browns
Steelers
Ravens
Texans
Colts
Jags

Again a lot of luck will be needed and I just don't see it. 

Record - 7-9

North Carolina Tar HeelsOakland AthleticsSacramento KingsOakland RaidersCarolina Hurricanes
I may be drunk Miss but, in the morning I'll be sober & you'll still be ugly. W. Churchill

Club America

• Herding
  • -Tards-
  • Things get damaged, things get broken.
Re: 2019 Oakland Raiders
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2019, 02:31:31 pm »
I bet 3 on teh Broncos. :banana
Arkansas RazorbacksLos Angeles DodgersDenver BroncosColorado Avalanche
Kinder, gentler

Club America

• Herding
  • -Tards-
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2019, 02:32:37 pm »
Yeah, no. I bet 1  :uhh

:lol :koolaid book it mufukka  :koolaid
Kinder, gentler

Dog

• -Nutter-
  • Amanda is a fat girl name
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2019, 02:37:51 pm »
1 on the black
Boise St. BroncosChicago CubsBoston CelticsMiami Dolphins

jeff in tucson

• puts the "semen" in amusement :koolaid
  • -Nutter-
    • sb1070supporter
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2019, 03:23:45 pm »
 :lol Burfict and AB on the same team
Arizona WildcatsArizona DiamondbacksPhoenix SunsDallas CowboysPhoenix Coyotes

JungleSlayer

• Ima Mushroom Cloud Laying Mutha Fugger, Mutha Fugger.
  • -Nutter-
  • Strange and Unusual
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2019, 03:33:26 pm »
solid insight.  :koolaid
New Mexico LobosTampa Bay RaysOrlando MagicTampa Bay BuccaneersTampa Bay Lightning

handsomebrady65

• handsomebrady65
    • brady_baylis
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2019, 10:01:06 am »
Without A.B.,the Raiduhs will be 2-14, two more wins than the Miami Minnows-I mean,Dolphins !!!!
Texas LonghornsDetroit TigersDetroit PistonsDetroit LionsDetroit Red Wings

wireman

• -Nutter-
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2019, 10:50:57 am »
Welp that didn't last long  :lol

AB got his way and is now in Chowda Town.  Once the Raiders voided the guarantees of his contract (around 29 mil.) he went apeshit and decided that he no longer wanted to wear the SilverNBlack.  Within a few hours of his release he was a Patriot.  How they did it I don't know but, they did; not even mad at them.  Thats what they do.

The Raiders now are back to where they were last year (after the Cooper trade); they don't have a wr who can really be a deep threat.  Tyrell Williams is a big body but, he's not a consistent home run hitter.  They are bringing back pre-season fave Keelan Doss so, he'll help out.

The one thing that hurts the Raiders (future) is the 3rd & 5th rounders they gave up to the Steelers in the trade.

Thanks AB
North Carolina Tar HeelsOakland AthleticsSacramento KingsOakland RaidersCarolina Hurricanes
I may be drunk Miss but, in the morning I'll be sober & you'll still be ugly. W. Churchill

toolshed

• -Tards-
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2019, 11:21:54 am »
Raiders defense and their new C are definitely the only thing Id be halfway optimistic about seeing.

Do you really, REALLY, want 3-5 more years of Carr?  His Tebow personality is literal poison to the image of this franchise.

You guys need a rapist or dog killer.
I am Yesus

handsomebrady65

• handsomebrady65
    • brady_baylis
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2019, 05:29:55 pm »
Churchill was also ugly,but as Prime Minister FINALLY got his compatriots to challenge the Nazis !!!!!!
Texas LonghornsDetroit TigersDetroit PistonsDetroit LionsDetroit Red Wings

jeff in tucson

• puts the "semen" in amusement :koolaid
  • -Nutter-
    • sb1070supporter
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2019, 05:35:42 pm »
He pretty much stood alone against Nazism in the beginning, against cancers like Neville Chamberlain. So its no surprise Barry Sotero had the bust of Churchill removed from the White House, which Trump immediately restored on his first day in office.
Arizona WildcatsArizona DiamondbacksPhoenix SunsDallas CowboysPhoenix Coyotes

Stab

• Morally Flexible
  • -Nutter-
  • 21x Back-to-Back Stucknut NFL Pool Champion.
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2019, 05:43:42 pm »
I just put fitty large on black.

I am a genius.

Wisconsin BadgersMilwaukee BrewersMilwaukee BucksGreen Bay Packers
Irregardless, it's a mute point anyways.

Club America

• Herding
  • -Tards-
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2019, 05:45:01 pm »
Good luck fvcko.
Kinder, gentler

Stab

• Morally Flexible
  • -Nutter-
  • 21x Back-to-Back Stucknut NFL Pool Champion.
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2019, 05:47:02 pm »
Wisconsin BadgersMilwaukee BrewersMilwaukee BucksGreen Bay Packers
Irregardless, it's a mute point anyways.

Club America

• Herding
  • -Tards-
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2019, 06:06:13 pm »
Kinder, gentler