Magic City and Animal Kingdom and See

Author Topic: Magic City and Animal Kingdom and See  (Read 693 times)

VicNocal

• NFL Pool Champ
  • -Member-
  • My brand > Your brand
    • NocalVic
Magic City and Animal Kingdom and See
« on: July 23, 2021, 12:10:38 pm »
Having already watched all the best shows, sometimes multiple times (The Wire), I've been looking for something else to watch, and over the past few weeks I've put these down:

1. Magic City:  Old one that only lasted 2 seasons, from 2012 to 2013.  Pretty solid and it being only 2 seasons is a good thing because it doesn't overstay its welcome.  As opposed to...

2. Animal Kingdom and The Strain:  Both shows start off firing right off the bat and hook you right away.  However, like most shows that get extended and extended and extended season after season, they lose steam and go from great to just OK right at around Season 3 or 4.  (as opposed to the truly great shows which only start PEAKING when they get to Seasons 3 or 4  -The Wire, GoT, Better Call Saul, Sopranos, Vikings etc)

3. See:  The last one on my recently watched list is this weird one starring Jason Momoa playing the role of Jason Momoa.  It is kind of a stupid premise -a worldwide pandemic a couple of centuries ago wiped out most of the planet's human population and left everyone blind for generations  - but something about it is pretty entertaining.  At least it's different from most of what's out there.
California Golden BearsChicago BullsChicago Bears
"In some ways it was worse than 9/11 -The radical fundamentalists who carried out 1/6 were trying to kill the Vice President and members of Congress" -Suckeyes

rob in indy

• the first person to board the Titanic
  • -Nutter-
    • TuckerCarlson
Re: Magic City and Animal Kingdom and See
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2021, 12:42:20 pm »
Only have seen the Strain from your list, and completely agree - that show was weekly viewing for me when it came out 7 or 8 years ago but thereís a reason millions of people stopped watching.
Indiana HoosiersIndiana PacersIndianapolis Colts

J - Dog

• -Member-
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2021, 12:48:58 pm »
Having already watched all the best shows, sometimes multiple times (The Wire), I've been looking for something else to watch,

One show I recommend that alot of people haven't watched is "Boardwalk Empire". great period piece gangster show.

https://www.hbo.com/boardwalk-empire

Another that I'm looking forward to watching and has great reviews is Black Sails
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2375692/
Washington St. CougarsSeattle MarinersPortland Trail BlazersSeattle Seahawks

VicNocal

• NFL Pool Champ
  • -Member-
  • My brand > Your brand
    • NocalVic
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2021, 01:04:24 pm »
I call it Boredwalk Empire because it just flat out bored me.  I can't remember if I gave it 1 or 2 seasons before stopping.  Same thing with Deadwood, as much as it pained me to do it, I stopped watching that one too after 2 seasons because nothing happened.  The high point was the scene where Wild Bill Hickok gets killed but that was in Season 1.

But I hear a lot of people say they really love those 2 shows, so who knows.  Just my take on them.

BLACK SAILS is in many ways awesome.  Great characters, great acting by the main leads, and the scenes when they are at sea are some of the best sea-faring scenes that have probably ever been put on film, up there with Master & Commander (very underappreciated movie).  Even the theme song in the opening credits is awesome.
The only negative about Black Sails is when they focus on some of the other secondary characters and their drama, specifically the women, the whores who live back on the mainland, etc.  It feels like filler sometimes.  But when they focus on the pirates and their ships etc, it's awesome.   Apparently the show works even better if you're familiar with Treasure Island and some of the characters (which I'm not) -for example the John Silver character obviously will go on in the future to be Long John Silver, the one-legged pirate who is the villain in Treasure Island.
"In some ways it was worse than 9/11 -The radical fundamentalists who carried out 1/6 were trying to kill the Vice President and members of Congress" -Suckeyes

J - Dog

• -Member-
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2021, 03:45:48 pm »
We can disagree, but we know quality production value and allocate our free time accordingly.  :)
i loved Boardwalk Empire.. and I'll even say that The Shield was better than the Wire.
A Vic recommendation seldom steers you wrong

Bagels

• Don Postwhoreleone
  • -Nutter-
  • How u durrrrin?
    • Mikeinthaville
    • @mikeybagels1
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2021, 04:14:08 pm »
The Nevers: took me an episode or two but it was solid after that
Auburn TigersAtlanta BravesMemphis GrizzliesTennessee TitansNashville Predators
Used to be we were all fvcking post whores.  Didn't matter what the topic was, we whored the fvck out of it.

rob in indy

• -Nutter-
    • TuckerCarlson
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2021, 09:46:53 pm »
The Nevers: took me an episode or two but it was solid after that

The trailers I saw made it look overly feminist but if you liked it I might give it a shot next time Iím looking for something to watch. I just finished the 2nd season of Gomorra - Italian mafia show but not an easy watch, the English dub is laffably bad and the only way to get the real flavor is in Eyetalian with subtitles, which is not for everyone

J - Dog

• -Member-
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2021, 10:46:00 pm »
  I just finished the 2nd season of Gomorra - Italian mafia show but not an easy watch, the English dub is laffably bad and the only way to get the real flavor is in Eyetalian with subtitles, which is not for everyone

I heard this was an excellent series.. also recommended by the Michael Savage show no less a few years ago,

I personally enjoy listening to a foreign language and reading the subtitles,

rob in indy

• -Nutter-
    • TuckerCarlson
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2021, 11:11:41 pm »
I heard this was an excellent series.. also recommended by the Michael Savage show no less a few years ago,

I personally enjoy listening to a foreign language and reading the subtitles,

Youíll be reminded of the Wire, and that is a VERY hesitant comparison, because Gomorra is culturally so different. But itís interesting to see the cultural zeitgeist. Itís a bit more episodic but the overarching themes and storylines lend themselves to a cohesive watch for the most part. My big warning stands firm, do not watch it English no matter how convenient

VicNocal

• NFL Pool Champ
  • -Member-
  • My brand > Your brand
    • NocalVic
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2021, 12:21:53 am »
I haven't watched Gomorra yet though it's on my list, but I heard they also made like a spinoff movie for it -have you seen that movie yet?

I'll get around to watching it eventually but I'm hesitant to watch foreign language shows because they demand my full attention so that I read the subtitles, whereas usually the shows I watch I watch while I do other things like check emails or something, and I watch them online at 1.5x speed to save time.

Bagels

• Don Postwhoreleone
  • -Nutter-
  • How u durrrrin?
    • Mikeinthaville
    • @mikeybagels1
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2021, 01:18:11 am »
The trailers I saw made it look overly feminist but if you liked it I might give it a shot next time Iím looking for something to watch. I just finished the 2nd season of Gomorra - Italian mafia show but not an easy watch, the English dub is laffably bad and the only way to get the real flavor is in Eyetalian with subtitles, which is not for everyone
It has a smidge of feminism, but demz some bad ass beehotches
Auburn TigersAtlanta BravesMemphis GrizzliesTennessee TitansNashville Predators
Used to be we were all fvcking post whores.  Didn't matter what the topic was, we whored the fvck out of it.

rob in indy

• -Nutter-
    • TuckerCarlson
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2021, 02:57:39 am »
I haven't watched Gomorra yet though it's on my list, but I heard they also made like a spinoff movie for it -have you seen that movie yet?

I'll get around to watching it eventually but I'm hesitant to watch foreign language shows because they demand my full attention so that I read the subtitles, whereas usually the shows I watch I watch while I do other things like check emails or something, and I watch them online at 1.5x speed to save time.

Yeah this is exactly why I was so hesitant to watch, because like you said if you watch a foreign language show in the background you miss all the nous. Iím giving it a full go because my buddy Iíve known for 25 years said itís worth it. Best I can offer is give it a shot. Itís a higher level of viewmanship required with English subtitles but all I can really verify is season 1 is worth it in that medium. Up to you if you keep going. The ending of season 2 is so brutal Iím taking a break and watching seasons 3 and 4 later in the summer

rob in indy

• -Nutter-
    • TuckerCarlson
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2021, 03:00:18 am »
It has a smidge of feminism, but demz some bad ass beehotches

Iím definitely going to check it out, thanks for the rec Mikey