Alternative listening methods?

Author Topic: Alternative listening methods?  (Read 475 times)

mischievousmole

• -Member-
Alternative listening methods?
« on: May 02, 2022, 06:54:56 pm »
Right now I have Audacy to listen to Rome live, but I just can't tolerate the BetQL ads anymore. The sound of Nick Kostos' voice is just so damn irritating that I have to turn the volume off during commercial breaks. I've restored to listening to the show once it's uploaded to YouTube.

So I was wondering: are there other ways to listen to Rome live? Without the annoying Nick Kostos or Trista Krick BetQL ads? I'd be willing to pay a subscription fee, I guess.

Thanks.
Detroit TigersDetroit PistonsBuffalo BillsBuffalo Sabres

VicNocal

• NFL Pool Champ
  • -Member-
  • My brand > Your brand
    • NocalVic
Re: Alternative listening methods?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2022, 10:53:13 pm »
Most sports stations have a LISTEN LIVE button you can click on on their website to stream their broadcast.  This is one in Louisiana I've been listening to for whatever reason, they also have an app too that you can search for and get for free from the Play Store.

https://1037thegame.com/tag/the-game/
California Golden BearsChicago BullsChicago Bears
"In some ways it was worse than 9/11 -The radical fundamentalists who carried out 1/6 were trying to kill the Vice President and members of Congress" -Suckeyes

mischievousmole

• -Member-
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2022, 09:23:36 am »
Thanks, man. Yeah, I think that the annoying ads (BetQL AND the podcasts) are purely an Audacy thing. On Audacy, I tried regular CBS Sports Radio, and then a station in Buffalo, but it had the same ads. I wasn’t listening much from 2018 to this past August, so things kind of changed in the meantime -- seemed like Audacy was the new, reliable option. Going to check out other out-of-town stations like the one you mentioned (for years I listened to a random station from Kansas City via TuneIn).

Steve in HTown

• -Admin-
    • stucknut
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2022, 01:27:23 pm »
I use this old shoutcast feed from Nashville.  Not much of a delay either.

Same one the server uses to rip the show.

http://shout.wnsr.com:8989/index.html?sid=1
Texas LonghornsLos Angeles DodgersLos Angeles LakersCleveland Browns

mischievousmole

• -Member-
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2022, 04:02:56 pm »
Thanks, Steve. That Shoutcast seems interesting -- guessing it's super stable if that's what you use for the archive. I tried injecting the url into the VLC app, but no dice.

I did find a pretty awesome (and free) solution, though. There's an app called VRadio, which let's you listen and record. No live DVR-style rewind (which Audacy and I think the paid version of TuneIn has), but for now that's okay. You can even schedule your recordings (12-3, M-F)

First station I tried was CBS Sports 1270 in Detroit. But when I listened to the recording, it was, unfortunately, another annoying Audacy/BetQL station with Nick Kostos ads. The next day I tried WTKA 1050 in Ann Arbor, and it was exactly what I was looking for. Regular old CBS sports radio -- it even has Andrew Bogusch sports updates during commercial breaks. No BetQL garbage. So yeah, VRadio and WTKA 1050 -- good stuff. I'm using the Musicolet app to play the files, btw. Unlike VLC, Musicolet never forgets where I left off. And yes, I know I'm a weirdo haha.

Steve in HTown

• -Admin-
    • stucknut
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2022, 10:08:39 pm »
If you have the Sirius/XM app, you can pause the live feed for cbs sports radio.
Texas LonghornsLos Angeles DodgersLos Angeles LakersCleveland Browns

mischievousmole

• -Member-
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2022, 07:11:43 am »
Oh nice. I do have the Sirius app. Going to try that out today.